Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Illegal Headlight replacement. Why do you buy them

There are no regulations that makes led headlamp bulb replacement acceptable.

If you replaces the approved halogen bulbs with any other bulb that the system was not designed for you will not pass roadworthy and put yourself at risk of getting a fine.

But yet these bulbs are hugely popular.

Our Elite Series LED Headlight Replacement Bulbs is getting great reviews and rightly so; they are a huge improvement over standard halogen and other illegal bulb replacement such as Xenon’s and other cheap LED bulbs.

I would like to know why people knowing still buy them though.

-------- Test results --------------
    We set out to ander the question that came up frequently from the members of this forum. "How does the Dip beam cut off on the new Auto LED Bulbs replacement compare to HID and Halogen."

The test setup with Nicholas Lisse and his Nissan Navara with Hannes Zietsman

As the vehicles we drive become faster and more sophisticated, and the roads on which we drive them become ever more unpredictable and hazardous, the demand for higher intensity and greater range from our light sources continues to grow.

It is more-or-less widely accepted that since high-intensity discharge (HID) lights cannot offer optimum reaction time (as they require a 10 to 12 second warm-up period after activation), and incandescent light bulbs simply cannot match the light output of newer solutions without overloading wiring and burning the reflectors, LED lighting is the way to go.

One of the most important questions when choosing an LED upgrade to existing vehicle lighting is: Is it safe? Specifically: will the light output blind oncoming traffic, possibly causing an accident?

When installed in reflector housings that were originally designed for incandescent light bulbs, the biggest problem with many high-intensity HID and LED replacement light sources is that they don’t have sharp cut-off boundaries. Often, this leads to oncoming road users being blinded. We were concerned enough about this issue to try to find a solution.
    We started by using SANS (South African National Standard) 1376-2:2006 as a reference.

This standard stipulates all aspects of motor-vehicle lighting (much of which would not be relevant to this test). Therefore, we focussed only on establishing relative quality of the cut-off zones produced by different light sources used within the same headlight reflectors, according to the criteria laid down in this standard.

In reference to the lighting pattern of a motor vehicle’s dipped beams and high beams, ‘cut-off’ is defined as the points forward of the lighting reflector at which the light pattern should end, in order to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

The lighting diagram below illustrates the required pattern of a motor vehicle’s dipped beam. The points and their markings are defined as follows:

• Line V to V’ (0 horizontal angle) is the centre line.
    • Line 0 to A is the raised left-hand cut-off zone for vehicles travelling on the left-hand side of the road (such as in South Africa). This zone allows headlights to illuminate the left-hand verge of a roadway without dazzling traffic to the right of the vehicle.
    • Point B50R is the direction of oncoming traffic. So it is most important that the cut-off point of the radiated light falls below point B50R.
    • Point 0 is the point at which the light sources generate 80% of their lighting intensity above point 50V (50V being the point at which the light sources generate 100% of their lighting intensity).

SANS 1376-2 2006 Figure 1 Overlay

The Results:

All measurements were then referenced from the 0 point. We marked the different points using reflective tape, and compared the different light sources using a light-intensity meter. Lighting intensity was measured in units of Lux. Ambient light was measured at approximately 0.2 Lux, and was deducted from all readings. We did not adjust the headlights because this is most likely how majority of customers will install the bulb replacement kits. It is however advisable to do so at a certified roadworthy center because the reflector bulbs configuration will vary between models and manufacturers.

Point on lighting diagram Maximum permissible light (in Lux) Halogen bulbs HID units Elite LED kit
    B50R 3 Max 6 40 5
    75R 75 Max 13 60 20
    50R 94 Max 28 75 34
    Table of measurement.

Unadjusted beam patterns after installing replacement bulb kits:

Observations:

It is clear from the table of results above that:

• The Elite LED kit decisively out-performed all other light sources over the course of the test, by giving the greatest margin of safety in terms of maximum permissible light intensity at the cut-off boundaries.
    • The HID light kit also performed badly, living up to the traditional reputation of HID lights for glare and dazzle.
    • Even the standard incandescent bulbs exceeded the SANS standard at point B50R.

Conclusion:
    In this case the Elite LED kit produced the best results of all light sources on test.

However, it benefitted to carefully adjust the headlight alignment after installation of all the different light sources. This is because one small variable that produces a very large effect is the position of the epicentre of the actual light source, relative to the reflector: even changes of less than a millimetre in any direction can have a profound effect on cut-off points.

For this reason, we highly recommend that if your vehicle’s standard light sources are exchanged for a higher-intensity lighting solution, that headlight re-alignment be performed by a vehicle service centre.

Although it had no bearing on the actual test, something else that stood out was the quality of light produced by the LED light sources, compared to the alternatives.

By comparison, the HID lights exhibited visible light aberrations. More seriously, the colours of the two HID bulbs we tested were actually different. The bulbs were both rated to produce 6 000K (perfect white), but one was clearly blue, and the other green (indicating colour temperatures of 9 500K and higher).

A sincere thank you goes to for Nicholas Lisse for the use of his Nissan Navara.

H4 Halogen Bulbs

HID Kit H4 bulbs. 6000k 35W

Elite Auto replacement Bulb

Disclaimer: The results of this test will not apply to all light sources or vehicles under all circumstances, therefore, they should be regarded as indicative. HID and LED light sources are manufactured in varying forms and quality. The results of this test should not be regarded as relevant to other specialized optics and HID or LED solutions.
    Last edited by HannesZ; 2015/11/29 at 10:07 PM.
    Light Up Your Adventures with Extreme Lights TM
    Cycling, Trail running, Motor Biking, Diving and much more.
    www.extremelights.co.za/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HannesZ For This Useful Post:

Because they are criminals and idjits and tossers?

Same reason people skip stop streets and jump red robots.........cos the cops are useless and some people reckon if nobody catches you, it's all fair..............
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Those very bright white lights that people have on day & night (usually the citi golf & old toyota corolla brigade) are a real danger to anyone in front of them, they almost blind you at any time of the day. But as mentioned the cops do nothing.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

To get more light with less current. If you are doing a roadworthy you install the correct lamps after that it away you go. I guess similar to doing your drivers, your arms are in the car after passing your arm hangs out the car.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

There are also a few idjits driving 4x4s with the lightbars on during the day!!
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Why do you sell them?

It says they fit Hilux etc, but I didn't see that they are illegal from a quick scan it would take me to purchase them from that site.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Well I sell them because they make a hell of a difference compared to the OEM halogens. They also don't case on coming traffic to flash me unlike the HID i use to have.

All in all I feel safer and that is why I sell them.
    www.extremelights.co.za/

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    Why do you sell them?

It says they fit Hilux etc, but I didn't see that they are illegal from a quick scan it would take me to purchase them from that site.

It is not illegal to own. Just that you won't comply with the road regulations.
    www.extremelights.co.za/

Well doesn't that answer your question then?

Performance is probably why people buy them combined with lack of enforcement or ignorance of the regulations.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

And where does the Consumer Protection Act come in ?

In the past the legal principle of caveat emptor applied where you as buyer accepted responsibility for your actions. But now the seller has to inform the buyer of the legal implications of his actions. If you don't, you the seller can be held liable ....

Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

So to deviate sorry for the Hi jack , I have a pair of spots on a shorty on the farm that has blown a bulb 130W H3 type I think were can I buy them with out putting in a grands worth of LED as its driven on dirt roads once a year to play ?

"you will not pass roadworthy" I beg to disagree! I've taken my trailer for roadworthy and the first place took all measurements and checked everything twice. They picked up that I had no light on the numberplate. I actually had to install a light for the plate but this was a secondhand trailer. So how could the previous owner have registered it first of all. And Bulperd who build it, how could they even sell a trailer without a light for the number plate?
    I fixed everything that needed fixing but I took it to a different testing station, well I was in and out with them hardly looking at it. They didnt check 10% of what the first one checked.
    Also, I do a lot of night time driving and let me tell you one thing for sure. If the inspection stations checked you headlights, 50% of the cars wont be on the road. You get people driving with headlights that shine all over except for on the road. No, car headlights are not a great concern for the testing stations, and thats if you get a good one to start off with..

Quote Originally Posted by mark stotesbury View Post
    So to deviate sorry for the Hi jack , I have a pair of spots on a shorty on the farm that has blown a bulb 130W H3 type I think were can I buy them with out putting in a grands worth of LED as its driven on dirt roads once a year to play ?
    Midas and Autozone have them.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

So, if I understand it all correctly and use my logic to interpret this thread, it is actually and ad and not really a question...

Quote Originally Posted by K0ED0E View Post
    So, if I understand it all correctly and use my logic to interpret this thread, it is actually and ad and not really a question...
    For illegal LED replacement bulbs
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange.2003 WJ Jeep..NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor Forum Rebuild thread

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....4 inch Home build Long arm lift
    Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)
    Man made it....Man Fix it.....
    I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

Also a bit confused on the threads purpose?

I agree, it's spam disguised as a legitimate question

Quote Originally Posted by clinty1971 View Post
    I agree, it's spam disguised as a legitimate question
    Now how did you get to that assumption. He is a paying commercial member. Go read carefully before you jump to conclusions.

Light reflectors are designed not to blind oncoming traffic. HID bulbs tend to do just that, The refraction is not the same as a halogen thus blinds oncoming traffic. However, it is permissible if the light have been designed for HID.

Incompetent staff at testing centres do not know what to look for on headlights.
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Same reason people buy LED bars, fit front-facing spotlights on the roof/rollbar and or drive with their fog-lights on?
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie7 View Post
    For illegal LED replacement bulbs
    Quote Originally Posted by ozosborne View Post
    Also a bit confused on the threads purpose?
    I suspect it is "actually" advertising... but it worked as it is on the list of the most viewed....
    Last edited by Vrystaat; 2015/11/09 at 10:24 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast