Merc ML 500 Cost of Ownership





Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,573
    Thanked: 16

    Default Merc ML 500 Cost of Ownership

    I have come across a 2010 ML500 with 92000km on the clock. Its currently in for its C Service which is still under Motorplan, but the plan will be expiring on the 8th of February 2016.

    Does anyone have an idea around service costs after the Motorplan expired ? I am looking at taking out a extended Aftermarket Motorplan, but Im just curious on normal cost of ownership for these ML's ?
    Last edited by NetEddy; 2015/12/17 at 10:56 AM.
    Edu1 Erasmus
    -Since 1980-

    2019 VW Amarok 2l 4Motion Auto
    2016 Merc B200 Cdi
    2014 Hyundai I20 1.2 (my go kart)
    2012 Scott Aspect 30
    2012 Silverback Roadie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,573
    Thanked: 16

    Default

    bump

    Also, Any recommendations on Extended Warranties as Maintenance Plans are crazy priced !

    Got a quote yesterday from a company for 45000km/2 Year Maintenance plan for R78000 or a 60000km/3 Year Maintenance Plan for R119000 !!!
    Edu1 Erasmus
    -Since 1980-

    2019 VW Amarok 2l 4Motion Auto
    2016 Merc B200 Cdi
    2014 Hyundai I20 1.2 (my go kart)
    2012 Scott Aspect 30
    2012 Silverback Roadie

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,808
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    I think the Maintenance Plan quotes provide some indication...
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    32
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NetEddy View Post
    bump

    Also, Any recommendations on Extended Warranties as Maintenance Plans are crazy priced !

    Got a quote yesterday from a company for 45000km/2 Year Maintenance plan for R78000 or a 60000km/3 Year Maintenance Plan for R119000 !!!
    My boss kept his Merc after his Motor plan came to an end as the price of a new one was just so much more then what he was willing to pay, he said the Merc has been a dream to own and hasn't stepped out of place not even once in the 3 or 5 years he had it.

    He owned it from new. A few months after the plan expered the gear box gave a few issues and he couldn't drive it. Merc came to fetch it and gear box needed fixing.

    Total cost of repairs R78 000

    They did give him a C class merc to drive around while they fixed it though but he has told me never again will he have a Merc out if Motor plan. When he bought another one he extended the plan to 220 000km.

    Unless you can afford to pay for those extended plans cash or include it ino your finance I wouldn't chance keeping the Merc. It probably wont break down but if it does it will cost you huge amounts of money.
    Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab
    Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab... Ex


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Constantia Kloof
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,951
    Thanked: 554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    My boss kept his Merc after his Motor plan came to an end as the price of a new one was just so much more then what he was willing to pay, he said the Merc has been a dream to own and hasn't stepped out of place not even once in the 3 or 5 years he had it.

    He owned it from new. A few months after the plan expered the gear box gave a few issues and he couldn't drive it. Merc came to fetch it and gear box needed fixing.

    Total cost of repairs R78 000

    They did give him a C class merc to drive around while they fixed it though but he has told me never again will he have a Merc out if Motor plan. When he bought another one he extended the plan to 220 000km.

    Unless you can afford to pay for those extended plans cash or include it ino your finance I wouldn't chance keeping the Merc. It probably wont break down but if it does it will cost you huge amounts of money.
    Yes, they are expensive if something big goes wrong. However price similar items from other manufacturers and you will be surprised at the difference, mostly negligible.

    If you own it outright like I do then the occasional big bill is OK. I cannot replace what I have with an equivalent new one for under R20k per month.

    The big bills to look out for on the W164 are as follows:
    Steering rack - R54k new, fitted from MB
    Power steering pump - R8k new, fitted from MB
    Air suspension bladders - R20k each new, fitted from MB

    Most of these items can be refurbished or replaced at a fraction of the dealer cost if you know where to go or can do some DIY.
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    32
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 141

    Default

    This was my bosses argument as well. he could not replace his merc for the equivalent and still keep it on a reasonable payment. he tool the gamble to keep his merc once motor plan ran out and it back fired on him.

    Does he still love merc....yes
    will he buy a merc again....yes

    in his case he was very unfortunate in that something major went wrong but the risk is always there.

    clearly you confident in your vehicle and can afford to fix anything that might go wrong so I wouldn't get an extended motor plan. not for those prices anyway
    Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab
    Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab... Ex


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Constantia Kloof
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,951
    Thanked: 554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    This was my bosses argument as well. he could not replace his merc for the equivalent and still keep it on a reasonable payment. he tool the gamble to keep his merc once motor plan ran out and it back fired on him.

    Does he still love merc....yes
    will he buy a merc again....yes

    in his case he was very unfortunate in that something major went wrong but the risk is always there.

    clearly you confident in your vehicle and can afford to fix anything that might go wrong so I wouldn't get an extended motor plan. not for those prices anyway
    Those bills mentioned in my post are real bills I had to pay since 2013 when the maintenance plan ran out with the exception of the air bladders which I replaced myself for a total of just on R10k for the two front units.

    Call it R40k per annum thus far taking into account new brake shoes at 110 000KM and standard servicing every 12 000KM but also take into account these parts lasted an average of 7 years and the fact a new vehicle would have cost me R440k in instalments over the same period or 11 times as much.

    I saved around R400k and there is just about nothing on this vehicle that would cost half that to repair barring the engine but again I can tell you engine failure is highly unlikely.

    A R100k slush fund would be more than adequate to cover those unexpected costs.
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,573
    Thanked: 16

    Default

    Dealer got it back from Merc after the C Service. They had to replace the right front bladder as it was leaking. Total bill of R20k with all the service items etc.

    I have seen on hippo Extended Motorplans from Budget etc with unlimited cover on Engine, Gearbox, clutch etc and I see that the Steering rack, Power steering pump etc are all included in the warranty... and that for R92 pm ?

    See attached... Maybe just as an extra safety net as the current maintenance plan with Merc will expire in Feb ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Edu1 Erasmus
    -Since 1980-

    2019 VW Amarok 2l 4Motion Auto
    2016 Merc B200 Cdi
    2014 Hyundai I20 1.2 (my go kart)
    2012 Scott Aspect 30
    2012 Silverback Roadie

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    I just had to replace the right front bladder on my GL 2 weeks ago. New bladder with installation R5.5K.

    My car is now just shy of 190k km, I owned it from about 111k km about 3 years now.

    Most expensive service was the 117k km done at MB. My 50% was R7k after I refused that replace everything they wanted. It started off at my 50% been R15K.

    Services outside of motorrplan between R3k and R4k at an independent.

    Other expenses over the 3 yrs.
    New tyres R11k for set of 5 at 141k km
    Refurbish leaking steering rack at 160k km R5.5k
    Gearbox switchplates at 166k km R10.5k
    Set of rear shocks R14k
    Rear brake pads at 181k - replace with the set MB took out at the last service under motorplan.

    Recently got a quote to replace all bushes and joints on the front suspension R7k.

    So it cost me about R2k per month outside of motorplan. Including a few wear and tear items.

    2013 ML500
    2017 Mahindra PIKUP S10 4x4
    2005 SLK55 (Speelding)
    1997 BMW Z3(Future father/son project)
    2013 BMW 320D Sport(Mom's taxi)
    Infanta 675Si r/duck with 150 V6 Yammie
    Jurgens Exclusive (Huisie by die see)

Similar Threads

  1. Donation of 500 animals for the CKGR
    By taraleegoosen in forum Botswana
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2015/06/04, 09:27 PM
  2. Discovery 4 V8 15 000km ownership summary
    By 4xhilux in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2015/01/07, 08:41 AM
  3. 50 vs 500 ppm in Mahindras
    By StefanDB in forum Mahindra
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2014/11/13, 07:49 PM
  4. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 2013/09/06, 11:12 PM
  5. How likely is your vehicle to be stolen?
    By mvcoller in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2010/12/18, 03:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •