Afrispoor Cheetah - Page 23

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Default Re: Afrispoor Cheetah

Did Afrispoor make a plan yet with the rain cover of the side bed or does it still require 2 traditional tent poles with ropes on the newer vans?

I'm trying to make a plan to skip the need for those 2 poles, I played around a bit with steel spring pegs as used on the front beds cover, but it doesn't work.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Will also be interested in a better solution. At the moment I just tie it down with rope over the beds. I then also have a pole on the inside that lifts it a bit for when it rains

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mve100 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mve100 View Post
    Will also be interested in a better solution. At the moment I just tie it down with rope over the beds. I then also have a pole on the inside that lifts it a bit for when it rains

Yes the problem with the spring steel rods I tried is that only 2 rods doesn't pull it tight enough so it still sags on the canvis. I think if you use more of them all around as on the front bed it can work, but not with that existing rain sheet, you'll have to modify it to be more like the one on the front bed.

A totally out the box idea which crossed my mind was to maybe put a small pull out awning type thing on that side of the van, then it covers the side bed and also the shower. The old Xplorer caravans came out with a small pull out awning which would be ideal, it is very small and light, also easy to set up alone. Its 4 poles also stores away in the frame of the awning before you role it up, so that's another bonus, no loose poles.

Have any of you thought of fitting a cable drag chain in place of the bungee cord for the fridge cables?
    I'm going to try it and see if it works out with the angle from top to bottom.
    https://www.hobbytronics.co.za/p/994/drag-chain

So, my new Afrispoor Cheetah is ordered for delivery early November.

So excited!!

My wife doesn't know because she would beat me up if she knew, as she is feeling sceptical about the current financial situation in SA

Cheers

Gavin Slabeye Dix

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slabeye For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slabeye View Post

So excited!!

My wife doesn't know because she would beat me up if she knew, as she is feeling sceptical about the current financial situation in SA

Cheers

Gavin Slabeye Dix

Nice one, enjoy the waiting, does she at least like the Cheetah or will that be a surprise to her as well?

Have you finalized your configuration and extras yet? Please share a bit on what you went for.

And so begins the worst part...the wait. I remember it well. A bit like lockdown.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Gen4 LWB Exceed
    Afrispoor Cheetah

So excited!!

Cheers

Gavin Slabeye Dix
    Congrats, awesome product...enjoy it, remember clearly my wait also (or the fact that I could not wait)
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Nice one, enjoy the waiting, does she at least like the Cheetah or will that be a surprise to her as well?

Have you finalized your configuration and extras yet? Please share a bit on what you went for.
    Yes, SWAMBO is the most important part of the decision-making process.

USB Ports
    HCDP with DC to DC & Solar Regulator
    extra deep cycle battery
    side walls & skirt
    upgraded water tank to 150lt
    water level meter
    bicycle tow ball in front
    fairy lights inside
    reading lights

Negotiated delivery early November so we can do a 'snagging' weekend away in November before we go for our 2 weeks booked in Kruger

Cheers

Very importantly, I have done it through Hagen at Trailer.co.za in Midrand. He is great, and trying hard.
    Hopefully this will help buil;d up the Afrispoor Club in Gauteng, so we can organize rallies like Conqueror do so successfully

I have been dealing with Hagen for many years, since we bought our first off road trailer from him back in 2005. Afrispoor made a good choice to work with him to support the Gauteng area.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Gen4 LWB Exceed
    Afrispoor Cheetah

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewC For This Useful Post:

Have any of you thought of fitting a cable drag chain in place of the bungee cord for the fridge cables?I'm going to try it and see if it works out with the angle from top to bottom.https://www.hobbytronics.co.za/p/994/drag-chain
    Please share your results. I also have an issue with the fridge cables. Regards Derick
    Ford Ranger 2013
    Afrispoor Cheetah 2017

Quote Originally Posted by DJvR View Post
    Please share your results. I also have an issue with the fridge cables. Regards Derick

After posting this I thought it threw again, drag chain won't work due to the layout of the drawer. If the fridge sat at the front of the drawer it would work, but because it sits at the back, the cable will have to double back on itself once you push the drawer back in.

I don't really have a issue with the bungee cord once its adjusted correctly it works fine, I was just thinking of a neater way to do things.

Something I totally forgot about and reminded myself of yesterday when replying to a shower thread.
    Have any of you modified your shower setup so that you can plug in a hose pipe and directly get water from a tap in to the geyser for showering?

Thinking behind this, if you camp in a place with water taps at your camp site which is not necessarily water good for drinking, then you don't want to use your clean water for showering, you want to rather keep it for drinking and cooking. Because the tap water is dirty, you obviously don't want to refill the Cheetah's tank with it, you don't want to mix the dirty water with your clean drinking water and anyway don't want to put dirty water threw your entire system.

So the thinking is to plumb in a split of some sorts where I can just connect a hose pipe before the geyser and close off the Cheetah's tank. Then you open the tap at the camp site and water goes straight in to the geyser and to the shower.

Anyone done something like this, does it sound plausible?
    We've been in Mozambique and Botswana before where we still had half a tank of good water then arrive at a place where water is available, but it is quite dodgy water, so you can refill your tank but you don't really want to.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Some thoughts. Over the years of camping I've learnt never to trust water in strange places, even if it appears clean. So I've done a few things, some that became a habit even if it means a little more effort.
    Firstly, I installed the best possible in-line filter in my van I could afford and fit it at the tap we use for drinking water. You can get some very good "industrial" type water filters for under R2000 and they typically lasts for thousands of litres.
    Secondly, I tend to fill my tanks with potable water only and having a good filter does two things, prefect water all the time and if I absolutely have to fill my tanks with dodgy water I at least stand a better chance of being able to drink it.
    Lastly, as for my shower I don't do so warming water directly through my geyser when we shower. I take along a 20l drum, fill it with campsite water (of whatever quality) and heat the water by running it through the geyser, first disconnecting it from my water tank system. The benefits are, I save my drinkable water; I can also heat the water to the prefect temperature for an uninterrupted shower. No turning knobs and instructing SWAMBO which one to turn; Water in a 20l drum is more than enough to shower 2 people so I fill it to half (9.9l for SWAMBO and whatever is left for me). She knows when to stop, most times. You'll be surprised how much water you save by doing it this way.
    The downside of course is the little more effort and having to have a second little water pump and shower system. To me though the benefits far outway the downsides.
    Now, all of the above I've done in my previous vans. I am yet to do it in my brand spanking new Cheetah which I've had for 3 months and never used because of this damn parasite thing.
    Something I totally forgot about and reminded myself of yesterday when replying to a shower thread.
    Have any of you modified your shower setup so that you can plug in a hose pipe and directly get water from a tap in to the geyser for showering?

Thinking behind this, if you camp in a place with water taps at your camp site which is not necessarily water good for drinking, then you don't want to use your clean water for showering, you want to rather keep it for drinking and cooking. Because the tap water is dirty, you obviously don't want to refill the Cheetah's tank with it, you don't want to mix the dirty water with your clean drinking water and anyway don't want to put dirty water threw your entire system.

So the thinking is to plumb in a split of some sorts where I can just connect a hose pipe before the geyser and close off the Cheetah's tank. Then you open the tap at the camp site and water goes straight in to the geyser and to the shower.

Anyone done something like this, does it sound plausible?
    We've been in Mozambique and Botswana before where we still had half a tank of good water then arrive at a place where water is available, but it is quite dodgy water, so you can refill your tank but you don't really want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Some thoughts. Over the years of camping I've learnt never to trust water in strange places, even if it appears clean. So I've done a few things, some that became a habit even if it means a little more effort.
    Firstly, I installed the best possible in-line filter in my van I could afford and fit it at the tap we use for drinking water. You can get some very good "industrial" type water filters for under R2000 and they typically lasts for thousands of litres.
    Secondly, I tend to fill my tanks with potable water only and having a good filter does two things, prefect water all the time and if I absolutely have to fill my tanks with dodgy water I at least stand a better chance of being able to drink it.
    Lastly, as for my shower I don't do so warming water directly through my geyser when we shower. I take along a 20l drum, fill it with campsite water (of whatever quality) and heat the water by running it through the geyser, first disconnecting it from my water tank system. The benefits are, I save my drinkable water; I can also heat the water to the prefect temperature for an uninterrupted shower. No turning knobs and instructing SWAMBO which one to turn; Water in a 20l drum is more than enough to shower 2 people so I fill it to half (9.9l for SWAMBO and whatever is left for me). She knows when to stop, most times. You'll be surprised how much water you save by doing it this way.
    The downside of course is the little more effort and having to have a second little water pump and shower system. To me though the benefits far outway the downsides.
    Now, all of the above I've done in my previous vans. I am yet to do it in my brand spanking new Cheetah which I've had for 3 months and never used because of this damn parasite thing.

Ok at least it sounds like my thinking isn't too flawed and that other people also think along the same lines.

I've seen water filter systems which people install in their trailers, but for now I don't want to do that. I'll maybe look for a portable filter just to use on a hose when filling the tank, but I realize a filter like this probably won't result in turning dam water in to drinking water, it will only prevent solids from entering the tank.
    100l is more than enough for drinking and cooking, so if I can get this shower split sorted it will work fine for us.
    Unfortunately your 20l bucket with extra pump idea won't work for us, I don't like taking along a bunch of extra loose stuff, the van has a built in shower for a reason, so I want to use it. Your idea is great though and I've done it in the past, shower with a pump in a bucket.

Ok at least it sounds like my thinking isn't too flawed and that other people also think along the same lines.

I've seen water filter systems which people install in their trailers, but for now I don't want to do that. I'll maybe look for a portable filter just to use on a hose when filling the tank, but I realize a filter like this probably won't result in turning dam water in to drinking water, it will only prevent solids from entering the tank.
    100l is more than enough for drinking and cooking, so if I can get this shower split sorted it will work fine for us.
    Unfortunately your 20l bucket with extra pump idea won't work for us, I don't like taking along a bunch of extra loose stuff, the van has a built in shower for a reason, so I want to use it. Your idea is great though and I've done it in the past, shower with a pump in a bucket.
    I am quite surprised.
    When I had the Conquerors, I was told that we shouldn't drink out of the water tanks.
    Then they offered a filtration solution.
    I calculated that it's cheaper buying water than installing that.
    Is the Afrispoor tank good for drinking from?

I am quite surprised.
    When I had the Conquerors, I was told that we shouldn't drink out of the water tanks.
    Then they offered a filtration solution.
    I calculated that it's cheaper buying water than installing that.
    Is the Afrispoor tank good for drinking from?
    I never had issues before and I always drink from it. I donít see why you canít drink from any trailer tank as long as you put clean water in it in the first place. Many donít like it because of the hose pipe taste from refilling, but there are ways around it using food grade hose. I just live with the slight hose pipe taste, it is not that bad.

The plastic taste is one of the issues the filter sorts.
    I never had issues before and I always drink from it. I donít see why you canít drink from any trailer tank as long as you put clean water in it in the first place. Many donít like it because of the hose pipe taste from refilling, but there are ways around it using food grade hose. I just live with the slight hose pipe taste, it is not that bad.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Munnika For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=bigboy529;4424176]Something I totally forgot about and reminded myself of yesterday when replying to a shower thread.

We have a system on our Sundowner that allows for this to a certain extent. We often camp at sites that do not have water or non potable water anyway. I have a 60l water tank in the Pajero that is only used for showering/washing. It is a bit difficult to describe and unfortunately you are far from us, to come and have a look, but here goes.

We have a shut-off valve immediately after the water tank, then between the water tank and the geyser is a T-piece, that has its own shut-off. If I don't want to use water from the caravan tank, I shut off the main tank and open the shut-off on the T-piece, which has a pipe that drops into a jerry can or even a 5l water bottle.

On opening the shower tap, water is sucked out of the jerry can through the geyser. The water in the jerry can/bottle can either be pre-heated or this can be done by the geyser. (Bear in mind that the first couple of litres of shower water is effectively drinking water and there will be some non drinking water in the geyser after your shower.)

We use the marginal water left over in the geyser, after a shower, to wash the dishes. After a shower, the valve on the water tank is opened and the one on the T-piece is closed again.

I hope this makes sense, The only extra stuff we are carting around is the approx 1m pipe to fit in the jerry can and either a jerrycan or used 5l water bottle. This system also helps in that you know exactly how much water you are using to shower.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23