Afrispoor Cheetah - Page 10

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Default Re: Afrispoor Cheetah

For the Cape Town guys wanting to see a Cheetah, I notice Afrispoor will be at the Kyknet show this coming weekend. I can just assume they'll have a Cheetah on display.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

At last I could see the Cheetah and, to say the least, I'm very much impressed with its quality and design. Wrt the support in the Cape area, there are some VERY good news in the pipeline...

I could clearly see from David that he is passionate about his products and will go to great lengths to provide customers with what they expect.
    Last edited by George; 2018/02/17 at 10:40 PM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

Can you give more info on the support in the Cape please!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

The details are still being finalized so I'd rather not add speculation before its final. All I can say is, coming from someone valueing good service, I'll be over the moon.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

I've just become the proud owner of a Cheetah in the Cape. Really great van that's hugely underrated. I come from a road caravan past so don't know if I must store the Cheetah fully closed or open? How do you do it? It is under roof.

If under cover no harm to keep it open for air.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

Quote Originally Posted by Davian74 View Post
    I've just become the proud owner of a Cheetah in the Cape. Really great van that's hugely underrated. I come from a road caravan past so don't know if I must store the Cheetah fully closed or open? How do you do it? It is under roof.
    Congrats and welcome to the family. I store mine closed.
    2012 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (Snowflake) Hers
    2012 Fortuner 3.0 D4-d (Olaf) Mine
    2017 Afrispoor Cheetah
    2015 Conqueror Companion (Indlovu) SOLD
    2008 Disco 3 TDV6 S gone to Landy heaven

I need some advice from current owners! We have narrowed our search for a replacement for the Xplorer down to either the Cheetah 4 sleeper or BL Boabab! (If I can get my head around the astronomic prices of these things nowadays!)

SWAMBO is set (very SET!) on the Cheetah, whereas for me it is much of a muchness between the two.

I have one issue with the Cheetah though - the awning. It seems like one can order it with the larger original awning with a bag of poles to set it up (I don't really want to go here being used to the quick set-up of the Xplorer roll-up awning), or a much smaller wing type effort - which looks a bit small an flimsy.

What says the owners? Do these awnings seal properly against the van, hows is the set-up time, do they provide enough cover in moderate rain?

If I'm not convinced I'm going BL (and the dog house for a few nights!)

Thanks
    Last edited by LowRange; 2018/03/04 at 11:09 AM.
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

BL have the better awning full stop!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

[QUOTE=Sandveld;3836540]BL have the better awning full stop![/QUOTE

Had the better awning. It seems that they have changed their awning and now have an awning design remarkably similar to the Bunduawn? Could any of the BL fanatics confirm this?

I opted for the standard awning initially and am now considering changing to the Bunduawn.
    2017 Afrispoor Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post

I have one issue with the Cheetah though - the awning. It seems like one can order it with the larger original awning with a bag of poles to set it up (I don't really want to go here being used to the quick set-up of the Xplorer roll-up awning), or a much smaller wing type effort - which looks a bit small an flimsy.

What says the owners? Do these awnings seal properly against the van, hows is the set-up time, do they provide enough cover in moderate rain?

If I'm not convinced I'm going BL (and the dog house for a few nights!)

Thanks
    The original awning is not much bigger than the Bunduawn. Even the swing type awnings come with a bag of poles. (Some are just attached to awning arms) The reality is that swing type awnings are quick and easy for one nighters but if the weather is at all suspect you still need poles and ropes. Swing type awnings generally look flimsy but the Bunduawn does have a decent reputation - just google it.

i had the same concerns as you with the awning and am now regretting not choosing the Bunduawn.
    2017 Afrispoor Cheetah

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BrandonH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    The original awning is not much bigger than the Bunduawn. Even the swing type awnings come with a bag of poles. (Some are just attached to awning arms) The reality is that swing type awnings are quick and easy for one nighters but if the weather is at all suspect you still need poles and ropes. Swing type awnings generally look flimsy but the Bunduawn does have a decent reputation - just google it.

i had the same concerns as you with the awning and am now regretting not choosing the Bunduawn.
    I have the Bunduawn on my Cheetah and was not happy with it.
    Reasons:
    1. It needs the poles, no way this thing works without poles. Not sure how big the other awnings are but I suspect the Bundu is one of the biggest ones making it more susceptible to wind movement.
    2. The stitching is shoddy and it leaks on the stitching.
    3. It leaks between the awning and the caravan.
    4. It is a pain to roll up the canvas and get the zip closed again.

BUT

the service and feedback I got from Bundu/Afrispoor made all these problems close to irrelevant.
    Both parties were very quick to come to my rescue and my Cheetah is going back to Abrie(Afrispoor) next week. He will take off the awning. Bundutec will then check it out and apparently they cut out a piece of canvas and redo all the stitching and sealing of all the seams. This solves the leaking and daming of water issues.
    Apparently a few caravans was fitted with this awning without the rubber seal between the awning and the caravan. This will also be rectified.

I will report back as soon as I get it back.

Afrispoor is also working on their awning but I am not very impressed with it.
    I personally would not change my mind regarding the Afrispoor just because of the awning. It is something that can be rectified and Bundu and Afrispoor is bending backwards to sort it out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

After spending time in both a couple of weeks ago at the Kyknet show, I'll admit I prefer the build quality of the Cheetah. Yes the awning is the only potential "issue" (if it can be called an issue). Both options are however very good products and I'd imagine you can't go wrong with either. Very difficult choice indeed. I'm in that same boat, although also in the back of my mind is the "as-small-as-possible-but-still-practical" requirement as I want to be able to manoeuver and setup everything myself. Here the Miskruier ticks the box, but I'm not confident yet that it might be too cramped again. Fair, you only sleep and pack inside and live outside. (so a quick awning setup with thorough sealing sidewalls are paramount for some privacy)

I notice however Afrispoor don't mention the weights of theirs anywhere - also key for comparative purposes.
    Last edited by George; 2018/03/05 at 10:48 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

For me the awning is a big big issue. The setup time is also an issue as i hate wasting time fiddling etc. The BL is amazing and works in storms. I was in a huge storm at Marakele last year and the awning held up and we had no water leaks or damage. Wind gusts were up to 80km/h.

Personally I would not be happy if my van had to go back to supplier to redo and recut and modify. The standard from the factory should be good enough on delivery.

When I set out to buy I was very keen on the Afrispoor but the awning and the build quality at the time was far superior on the BL. I also preferred the size of the BL and ease of towing.

Now, if Afrispoor could fit the BL awning then the choice would be even more difficult to make.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Personally I would not be happy if my van had to go back to supplier to redo and recut and modify.
    And other people wont be happy to wait 5 months for Toyota to sort out their LC niggles

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    And other people wont be happy to wait 5 months for Toyota to sort out their LC niggles
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Placed my order and deposit paid yesterday. I looked at all the different vans at the Beeld show and for me and Swambo the Cheetah is the one. Am going to the factory next Thursday to discuss some changes and extras we want. Will have a careful look at the awning as that can spoil a holiday if not manufactured and fitted correctly. Over the phone they seem to be very helpful and accommodating.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Vuurhoutjie Boksie". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

Congrats Herman

Enjoy the van and many happy miles
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier
    ORRA Call Sign: X85
    Gerbers Alu Canopy
    Howlingmoon RTT

The awning is very important as Bruce said. This is where you spend the most time. You only sleep inside the van. For the price of these caravans you must get a decent awning that can withstood wind rain and storms!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandveld For This Useful Post:

My very first off roader was the afrispoor mongoose. We moved from that to an xplorer. We have now just ordered a 2 sleeper cheetah. Long waiting list but worth the wait

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast