Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Default Re: You never know what's out there

Lock down level 6 blues or that's what it's starting to feel like. With Aesir still confined to 5 minute walks twice a day and then on a lead. "What's a lead" he asked?

New puppy duties, do you know how many times a puppy can pee in a day let alone overnight?!!

Overall opportunities for getting back out into the sandveld are few and far between.

It isn't helped by regular reports, with pictures just to rub it in, from Trooper and Charlotte as well as Andre who are all traveling the length and breadth of the Wes Kus.

Charlotte tells me she found Brown hyena spoor on a farm south of Soebatsfontein. Hope to get contact details and then Cobus and I will pay the farm a visit.

A brief break came on Friday when out neigbour called to ask for help.

Sure no problem, but what's the problem?

I've got a puffie in the front garden, can you come and remove it? Ah, now that's a problem.

For many a month I have imaged what I would do if I came face to face with Mr Puffie while in the field, never thought about this close to home.

Anyway armed with many hours of YouTube knowledge, my trusty ASI snake gaiters and heavy duty boots and with no small amount of help from Cobus we manged to sweep him up onto a rake and carry him across the road before releasing him into the veld.

We should have carried him a bit further because the next day he, or a close relative was back, this time in my front garden! Thankfully on both occasions he was calm and not stressed. Managed to scoop him up onto the rake again and this time released him a bit further out.

I'm now the proud owner of two snake hooks. Bloody long handled hooks I might add

Pictures don't do him justice, he must have been the granddaddy of all puffies.

With all this time on my hands I've finally compiled an ID book for my Holgat River clan. If you have a few minutes have a look at the pdf. As it says, if you see any that look less than unique please let me know. Trying to match leg stripe patterns from grainy black and white images is a guaranteed recipe for a headache.

Interesting interlude this morning watching one of the inshore diamond boats being loaded onto a submersible dock and then dragged onto the beach for maintenance.

Some stress for the guys doing the work but fascinating work to watch.

Thinking about it, most work is fascinating to watch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9206A3E-3EAE-4733-B819-DC4C0CA2BC68.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	588512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F9A0A8C8-7D68-447E-A543-E472274AE82D.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	588513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1598E93A-6E02-4135-82BD-9BAF7DEF4579.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	588514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91BFEE66-7751-427C-BCB2-8489623CA56B.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	588515  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Keith Newnham; 2020/09/13 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Add attachments or at least try to
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

Too busy searching for brownies to go anywhere, but some of the places these guys hide are as good as a holiday

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Hi Keith - Just back from Kgalagadi.
    Hyenas scarce again.
    Maybe I should try the West Coast!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Puppy's name?

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    Puppy's name?
    Juno😁

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

Too busy searching for brownies to go anywhere, but some of the places these guys hide are as good as a holiday

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Newnham View Post

I've got a puffie in the front garden, can you come and remove it? Ah, now that's a problem.

I also had a puffie to deal with this weekend - this one was quite a meneer, but he very obediently climbed into a bucket for relocation some distance from the house.

Name:	rQqUqsjJTwyU%yV91StsjA.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	589052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h9rNr3PlS+q4bOTc+C6RHQ.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	351.5 KB 
ID:	589053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1g%hPF08TgC9YyGF7ljjXg.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	589054  
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    I also had a puffie to deal with this weekend - this one was quite a meneer, but he very obediently climbed into a bucket for relocation some distance from the house.
    In Kloof?? Or your weekend place, assuming you have one?

In Kloof?? Or your weekend place, assuming you have one?
    Ian, I have family that farm in the Lotheni area outside of Nottingham Road.

The puffy was there, not Kloof.
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    That's a proper puffy...

You're a better person than I am.

About two years ago I moved to a new town extension on the outskirts of the town and the majority of properties still looked like the bushveld. After installing a sprinkler system, we had a lot of frogs and I knew it was just a matter of time before a slithering friend would show up.

One morning I heard a ruckus outside and lo and behold, a cobra came to visit. No local snake catchers, so I phoned the town council but no cigar. As my boys were aged 1 and 3 that time, and armed with a spade and a sjambok, I had no other choice but to let him meet his maker.

There was no way in hell I was going to try and catch it with the tools and zero experience I had.

At over 2 meters long, I was amazed at how quick they can move!
    Last edited by MANDREAS; 2020/09/18 at 07:35 AM.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

Where did September go?

One day itís the middle of winter then along comes Spring and now the town is starting to put its best face on ready for the mass inflow of Christmas holiday makers. Well, we would be if Eskom and the municipality ever get their combined acts together.

Wednesday morning, as promised 06:00 sharp, puff! no more electricity for you naughty folk in the Richtersveld.

But we've all paid our bills!

Well go tell the Spartans because we never received it says Eskom.

There must have been much behind the scenes politicking and frantic phone calls during the day because around 16:00 we get power back.

Great are we now up to date with the account?

Well, no. 10 minutes later it went off again.

Word on the street was that the municipality officers passed the hat around and managed to find enough Rands to buy 10 minutes of pre-paid.

Anyway, I can only guess they made some more phone calls to the recipients of brown envelopes because at 18:00 we were back online again and, touch wood, have been ever since.

I wonder what Eskom will do with all the luxury German cars that were once used to carry important public servants around?

Very pleased to say that Juno has made friends with her new big brother and he in turn has accepted that she is now the new queen of the roost. As you can see, she's made herself at home.

Always good to meet fellow forum members and towards the end of September Andre and his SWAMBO, Reauliza, were added to the growing number of faces that I can now put avatars to.

Spent two days in, as Andre calls it, "your office" introducing him to some of the lesser travelled roads around Port Nolloth.

A keen birder, Andre was looking to find a Barlow Lark.

Being well schooled in attending to tourist needs from my days at Vetgat I'm please to say we found one for him. It was a close-run thing though, taking a short cut through the back of a COVID-19 suspended diamond mine east of the salt pan up popped the little fellow.

Both Andre and Reauliza carry mega cameras with lens to match. Oneís a Nikon, the other a Canon. That would make for some interesting fireside chats. Makes my little Panasonic bridge look positively point and shoot but at least my back isn't killing me after a day in the veld. Been there done that thanks.

An afternoon trip out to a camera trap site rounded off the first day. Happy to report that Andres Land Cruiser managed to follow Jaeger Defender through all the dunes and sand roads

Day two started in the Orange River Mouth.

Really nice to see large numbers of flamingos as well as an almost endless flight of cormorants rising off the sand and heading out to sea.

Lunch at an old Alexkor campsite on the banks of the Orange and then a 3-hour hike through Holgat river to plant a new camera and check on a couple of others.

The day ended with the 4 of us on hands and knees in the sand dunes behind McDougallís bay looking for Fenestraria.

Didn't find any but did find the smallest, small adder. A young Namaqua Dwarf Adder. Unlike the one spotted the previous day, this little guy was in a hurry to get back into some shelter.

I think Andre and Reauliza were pleased to see the back of me, at least they had a couple of days in KTP to rest and recover.

I've been battling to get back in touch with De Beers since lockdown started and was beginning to think about writing the year off when I get an invitation to meet up with them next week. Typical, because that same morning Alexkor very kindly agreed to let me get out to Cliffs, a seal colony just north of Port Nolloth.

I spent this past Thursday at Cliffs as well as driving on the "sperrgebiet side of the fence line" down Holgat river. Something I had been dreaming of ever since I stumbled into the community land side of the river 4 years ago. The expectation is that I will find some of my Holgat clan using the river to get to the coast as well as foraging on seals at Cliffs.

A bonus was seeing a herd of 9 or 10 adult Gemsbok with two youngsters as we drove out of the property.

Now with access to two major seal colonies, Cliffs is much larger than I had imaged it would be, I'm going to have to shut down some of my long term trap sites to free up cameras but hopefully it will be worthwhile. Time will tell but an exciting end on the cards to an otherwise forgettable year that's for sure.

Two film crews are looking at getting into Bakers bay towards the end of November / December so with a little luck I might get back out there. Just need to navigate the vagaries of cross border CV19 regulations.
    It looks relatively straight forward but as with most things COVID and officialdom I suspect it will be anything but.

Iím told that the first film crew I went with in 2019 will have their production ready for showing in December. That will be interesting to see the end result.

From the camera traps, good to see a range of smaller critters starting to make an appearance as well as a stately looking Ludwigís Bustard that strolled imperiously past one of the traps.

Brownie activity in Holgat river continues to tick up but hasnít reach 2016 / 2017 levels yet.

Busy week ahead, flying visit to Cape Town on Monday for my annual brain scan, SWAMBO says sheíll be surprised if they find anything, De Beers on Thursday and SANPHR online training 3 nights of the week.

I think I need a PA

Keep safe, stay sane

Sorry Andre, Fitzpatrick Institute of African Ornithology say is a Karoo Lark, not a Barlows. Guess you'll have to come back and try again

Name:	Barlows Lark.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	591717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andre Reauliza and Cobus Holgat River exit.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	568.7 KB 
ID:	591718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cliffs looking north.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	575.7 KB 
ID:	591719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cliffs seals.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	591720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive into Holgat River.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	530.7 KB 
ID:	591726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holgat River mouth looking south.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	591727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Juno and Aesir.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	440.4 KB 
ID:	591728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Namaqua Dwarf Adder.jpg 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	591729  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salty pool HR .jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	775.2 KB 
ID:	591730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Track highway .jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	571.6 KB 
ID:	591731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Young NDA.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	591732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gemsbok.jpg 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	591733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z_2020-09-02 03-57-16.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	484.1 KB 
ID:	591734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z_2020-09-02 20-32-50 M 5_10.JPG 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	591735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z_2020-09-15 02-05-12_003.jpg 
Size:	474.9 KB 
ID:	591736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-09-12 09-42-04_001.jpg 
Size:	610.2 KB 
ID:	591737  

Last edited by Keith Newnham; 2020/10/11 at 12:45 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Hi Keith

Thanks for sharing your office and knowledge of the area with us.

I guess we will have to come back for the Barlow's Lark. Kobus was so positive it was the Barlow's Lark.

Hope your medical checkup goes well.

Greetings

Andre and Reauliza

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Reauliza For This Useful Post:

There's an old saying "It never rains, it pours", usually associated with a run of bad luck. Well in this instance it's the polar opposite.

Both Alexkor and now De Beers / DEFF have opened up opportunities for me to deploy camera traps in restricted areas.

A hectic couple of weeks ahead but, by the end of it, a much wider dispersal of camera traps and the first step in phase two of the project.

The down side, I'll have to wait until 1st February 2021 to collect data from the Kleinzee seal colony traps and, I will have to close down two long terms sites in Holgat and SANP areas. Cameras will still be deployed at other locations in these areas so I will still be able to collect data from them just not at the levels of the last 4 years.

Current plan is to deploy cameras on Alexkor site on Monday, go back and check them for functionality (and to make sure there still there) the following week.

Then collect the Holgat and SANP sites cameras, give them a clean up ready for Kleinzee seal colony (KSC) site.

Deploy to KSC the following week and return a week or so later to check all OK before saying goodby to them until 2021.

Hopefully all new sites up and running and cameras all functional by November 17th. Oh yes and hold thumbs that I can get a new camera delivered to the outback of Port Nolloth before 16th November. That will give me 3 on Alexkor site, 4 at KSC, 1 in Holgat and 2 on SANP.

While meeting with DE Beers security, one of the gents mentioned that he thought he saw a Brownie a couple of weeks ago at the seal colony around about 11:00 in the morning. Now that will be great to see if it was

Interesting times ahead. Very excited about finally getting to the new sites

Holgat general activity is still picking up. Nice to see some day time triggers:- Smith's red rock rabbit and an African Wild Cat. Nocturnal as ever, one of the brownies paid a visit as well. Thanks to a little bit of gardening in front of the camera I should be able to ID it from the leg stripes.

Its going to be a good year for snakes I think. On almost every walk I'm seeing Namaqua Dwarf Adders or their tracks. Thanks to this little guy I can now say with some degree of certainty which way they are traveling from looking at tracks.

Name:	2020-10-02 06-53-37 M 1_10.JPG 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	593914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-10-13 08-05-26 M 4_10.JPG 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	593915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-10-17 01-58-42 M 1_10.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	593916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4126.jpg 
Size:	707.4 KB 
ID:	593917  
    Last edited by Keith Newnham; 2020/10/29 at 04:41 PM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

A short update but hopefully some interesting days ahead.

After more than a year of keeping quiet I can finally talk about my first adventure in Bakers Bay back in 2018 /2019. The full story will have to wait as I'm busy preparing to go back to Sperrgebiet, leaving on Friday, to complete another film project that was interrupted by CV19 back in March.

If you have Apple TV have a look at the trailer on this link

https://tv.apple.com/show/umc.cmc.37...tnight_gen_gen

Knowing how dark it was at times when the guys were filming the colour and quality of the clips is truly amazing. Proud to have played a very small part in the production and now looking forward to seeing the entire series.

COVID-19 played another trick on me when access to Kleinzee was cancelled at the last minute after one of the security guys started showing symptoms. His test turned up negative so last Monday I had my CV19 test as part of protocol to access mine property. It also came back negative but, 1 day before I was due to go on site and deploy cameras security called and said, "sorry Keith, local unrest after an illegal miner was shot, its not safe so we have to cancel". With pupping and breeding in full swing DEFF are not allowing anyone out to the colony now until 1st Feb 2021.

Thankfully Alexkor is up and running. I'll get a first real look at the cameras on 8th December. A week ago I did a quick check after they had been out for a couple of days. Unfortunately I never saw the images until I got back home so one is busy taking impressive images of the diamond coast looking north rather than the track highway in front of it.

Nothing exciting which is not total unexpected but a couple of Jackal captured is always a good sign. If those guys are there then maybe there are Brownies as well. The strobe unit wasn't quick enough, just a tantalising tail tip. Maybe next time.

Second CV19 test taken yesterday in Springbok. Results, negative received 24 hours later. Impressed with the turn around especially since the swab needed to be courier to Cape Town after 17:00 yesterday. Hopefully Namibia is as jacked as RSA seems to be in terms of testing, otherwise I'm going to be stranded in Luderitz for a couple of weeks, I wont mind but SWAMBO might be a little upset

SANP cameras captured some youngsters which was good to see, suggests that the veld is recovering from the drought. Ludwigs Bustard, Baboons and Ostrich clearly enjoying life.

Name:	2020-11-03 02-30-10.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	596269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-04 01-06-18.jpg 
Size:	451.0 KB 
ID:	596270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-05 22-51-24.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	596271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z_2020-10-05 11-28-24_001.jpg 
Size:	521.7 KB 
ID:	596272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z_2020-10-05 20-19-14_003.jpg 
Size:	480.1 KB 
ID:	596273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z_2020-09-27 12-23-16_004.jpg 
Size:	581.8 KB 
ID:	596274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z_2020-10-10 14-15-24_004.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	619.9 KB 
ID:	596275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-09 12-25-58.jpg 
Size:	506.5 KB 
ID:	596276  

Last edited by Keith Newnham; 2020/11/18 at 06:39 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Looks like an all-round bad year is going to end on a high note for me.

4 Cameras deployed on Alexkor property at The Cliffs and already a positive result and, DEFF have issued a new permit for me to go back to Kleinzee from 1st February with a bonus of being allowed into the area during pupping season. A restriction placed on my original permit.

More news from the local front, first a quick update on my recent trip to Elizabeth Bay.

Elizabeth Bay ghost town is fast becoming one of my favourite places. Not only do you get to see Brownies close up and personnel, the atmosphere of the place early morning and evening is something special and a photographerís paradise.

While lying flat on my belly spotting for Julien, the camera man, this inquisitive Brownie came and had a close look at me.

<span style="mso-ansi-language:EN-US">

He decided I wasnít edible and carried on down to the casino much to the delight of Julien who was waiting for something to film

Reviewing footage from the guys who know how to capture wildlife on film, this is another documentary that will be worth watching. A French production that will take its time to get out onto anglophile stations but something worth looking out for.

Unlike Bakers Bay we get to stay in a relatively complete house while at Ebay.

Although old and showing signs of its age, it comes complete with electricity, tables, chairs and a long drop. Bring your own bedding and stretchers.

Bakers Bay on the other hand offers shelter, from a wind that never stops blowing, in the old mining camp buildings but little else. It does have a sense of isolation that is not found at Ebay.

With the Ebay mine having just changed hands and being bought back into production there is a regular flow of vehicles as well as the occasional tour operator dropping by. I suspect that this activity has habituated the local brownies somewhat.

Although still suspicious of people they are less inclined to turn and run off into the distance, an annoying habit of their Bakers bay cousins.

Unlike Bakers Bay in 2018/19 this documentary is filmed mainly during the day. However with sun rise before 06:00 and available light for filming from 5:00 onwards our routine was an early breakfast, read rooibos and rusks, at 04:30 then a short drive through the ghost town to set up for 5 hours of waiting patiently for the stars to arrive.

Where you find Brownies you invariably find Jackals. These guys are really curious and have no hesitation walking up and giving you the once over. Hmm, forgot only one video per post.

After unloading Julien and his cameras I would retire a suitable distance, hide Jaeger Defender behind a tumbled down house then make my way to what I called my fox hole.

Armed with my own camera, binoculars, camping chair, radio and orange cookie box I keep a watch over the bigger area for anything that might be of interest to Julien. Those that have traveled with Vetgat Toere will know about the legendary contents of said orange cookie box. Everything home made with love by SWAMBO.

Around 10:00 its back to base for a heartier breakfast cooked by the most important member of the team, Jurrie. She cooks as well as SWAMBO, well maybe almost as well as SWAMBO.

After breakfast, time to explore and investigate potential locations for the afternoon shoot. There are several den sites in the area, unfortunately none being used for raising cubs currently.

Afternoons started at 16:30 and continued until 20:00 and by the time Julien calls it a day, even wrapped up in many layers of clothing, Iím ready to get out of a wind which, after sunset always blows cold.

A quick check on footage for the day, supper and then off to bed ready to start again the next day.

I have to remind myself that this is work but itís hard not to be captivated by all thatís going on around me, heck its almost ďglampingĒ I even get cooked food AND somebody else does the washing up.

On the local front a Brownie was killed on the R382 16 kms north of Port Nolloth. Looked like a young adult but by the time I found out about it the carcass was in a bad state, so no leg stripe pictures. Always a sad sight, more so now with my involvement with them.

Very pleased to find an image take at The Cliffs on the one camera I have that uses a strobe. Ordinarily I use black flash, but this camera was pressed into service when the Alexkor site opened.

Have to say that it makes identification that much easier compared to the normal black and white grainy images I typically work with.

4 cameras now deployed at this location which is close to another seal colony. My expectations are that Brownies are using the colony as a food source. If this is true, then Iím hoping to capture a few more individuals.

Alexkor security have been very kind in allowing me access as well as very tolerant of me when Iím out there setting up and checking cameras. Because it's restricted space I have an escort with me. I feel bad about keeping him out there longer than necessary but its easy to forget the time, too many distractions 😊

In Holgat river another first when two individuals triggered separate cameras on different days with enough light to get colour images.

Murphy was at work though, one site had the brownies walking away from the camera, so a nice colour shot of the animalsí backside. No identification stripes, even the ears had no distinguishing notches. At the other site a more pleasing result.

SAN Park location remains very quiet. Iíve deployed two additional cameras out there for the next month while I wait for access to Kleinzee.

Hate the idea of camera sitting idle at home. They are in the north west area of the property where I have found several track highways. Nothing as well used or regular as I saw at Kleinzee and certainly nothing that says brownie. Decision time in the next couple of weeks if I keep them out there. Iíll need at least 4 at Kleinzee, hopefully SWAMBO has listened to my hints 😊

As they say in the movies, "that's a wrap" for 2020. Wishing everyone a safe and peaceful Christmas and a New Year that brings hope, health and happiness.

Keep safe

Name:	A very dry Namibian Fish River IMG_4438.jpg 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	599681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brownie not too sure about me  P1080411.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	599682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early morning Jackal P1080277.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	599683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early morning set up P1080355.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	599684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ebay Brownie on the moveP1080431.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	599685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First capture at The Cliffs 2020-11-25 03-05-46.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	599686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghost town shadows P1080284.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	599687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jackal in town P1080288.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	599688  

Name:	Jaeger Defender hiding from the cameras IMG_4425.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	524.2 KB 
ID:	599689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Murphy at work in Holgat 2020-12-04 01-44-42_001.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	321.7 KB 
ID:	599690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Murphy taking a day off in Holgat 2020-11-24 18-43-45 M 7_10.JPG 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	599691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Packing up at the end of the day IMG_4340.jpg 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	599692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Returning home along Namibian side of Orange river IMG_4269.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	520.3 KB 
ID:	599693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunset P1080351.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	599694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The last train has left for the coast P1080308.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	599695  
    Last edited by Keith Newnham; 2020/12/20 at 09:22 PM.

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Another short Ebay video of a Brownie walking through the ruins

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

And an even shorter video of a Jackal. Not the most exiting video but I enjoyed the lighting, at least on my iPhone it looked good

Its becoming a habit, lying flat on my belly taking pictures

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

First time I setup the camera in the box I have built.
    The lock will have to be replaced with a more robust version.

Name:	IMG_20210123_194441.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	361.1 KB 
ID:	603312

Maybe a bit of an overkill due to the 3mm steel sheet I used.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    First time I setup the camera in the box I have built.
    The lock will have to be replaced with a more robust version.

Maybe a bit of an overkill due to the 3mm steel sheet I used.
    That's an impressive looking security box there JFH.

Maybe I need to contract you to help out on the project. With two seal colony sites opened up my boxes are going to rust quicker than a Windhoek advert getting banned

Look forward to seeing some of your images on the thread.
    Last edited by Keith Newnham; 2021/01/24 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks, unfortunately I built it so that it can only be screwed into trees.
    I didn't know how to do the chain thing, luckily not many rocks here.

I also wanted to do a spike that you hammer into the ground,as trees aren't indigenous to the West coast, but it'll never be secure enough.
    Last edited by jfh; 2021/01/24 at 08:43 PM.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Time for an update what is happening in on your part of the world, Keith.

How is the puppy doing?

Exclamation Re: You never know what's out there

Time for an update what is happening in on your part of the world, Keith.

How is the puppy doing?
    Ian, I wasnít going to say anything in case I jinxed things but...

My 5th tonsil tickling COVID19 swab came back negative this morning, in just over 35 hours.

Really impressed with Pathlabs, especially when you think the swab was taken at 15:00 Tuesday in Springbok and then couriered down to Cape Town.

For the last week Iíve also had to record my temperature on a daily basis. Averaged out at 36.3

All this means that tomorrow at 08:00 I get to enter De Beers mine in Kleinzee and finally after 3 years of trying, deploy some camera traps at the seal colony.

Right about now, life is pretty good out here on the Wes Kus.

Juno is just over 6 months old now. She had her ďoperationĒ on Tuesday and is now fully recovered and being a typical hooligan puppy😁

Iíll post an update over the weekend on how tomorrow went. Also some feedback on an impromptu test on a couple of cameras and hopefully some nice images after moving a pasting in front of one of the cameras. I donít think that counts as baiting 😁

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast