Help needed with Northern Zambia trip planning - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi,

We visited this region and 3 of 5 waterfalls you mentioned. Please let me some time to answer on all your questions.

Gunther

Thank you Gunther - looking forward to hearing from you.
    “Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.” -
W. C. Fields

Hi,

We travelled this year in july 4 weeks in Zambia: SLNP, NLNP and the northern waterfall route. We did the route you propose in reverse sense, so starting in Kapishya and finishing in Bangweulu Swamps.

Time:
    13 days is way to less to do everything, including Kapishya and Shiwa Ngandu. Count on 16 or 17 days. Adding a couple of days more would make everything a bit easier.

Route:

Our route as planned:
    14/07/2015 Kapishya hot pools - Shiwa Ngandu
    15/07/2015 Kapishya hot pools - Shiwa Ngandu
    16/07/2015 to Kasama - stay and visit at Chasimba Falls
    17/07/2015 to Lake Tanganyika - Ndole Bay
    18/07/2015 Lake Tanganyika -Ndole Bay
    19/07/2015 Lake Tanganyika -Ndole Bay
    20/07/2015 Lake Tanganyika -Ndole Bay
    21/07/2015 to Lumangwe Falls
    22/07/2015 visit Lumangwe Falls & Kabweluma Falls
    23/07/2015 To Kasembe
    24/07/2015 Kazembe ceremonie
    25/07/2015 Kazembe ceremonie
    26/07/2015 to Kasanka NP
    27/07/2015 Kasanka NP
    28/07/2015 to Bangweulu swamps
    29/07/2015 Bangweulu swamps
    30/07/2015 Leaving direction of Mkushi

Our route in practice was more or less the same. We needed to stay one day longer at Ndole Bay, due to a heafty puncture when leaving the first time. I wouldn’t change much on our schedule, except that I would stay one day longer at Bangweulu Swamps – see more details below.

Accomodation:
    We camped always, so I can’t give much details on B&B or guesthouses. Apart from Kapishya, the whole north is very little travelled. To give you an idea: Ndole Bay: apart from four russian tourists, we were all alone for five nights. At Lumangwe Falls we were the first non Zambian visitors in more than three weeks. Even Kasanka and Bangweula don’t see every day tourists.
    In Kasama the Torn Three Lodge is recommended by fellow travelers we met. At Ndole Bay you can stay in en-suite chalets that are reasonably priced. The chef-cook is very good at Ndole Bay, the food at the restaurant is delicious. As in many other places, all vegetables and spices are produced in their own garden. I’m sorry, but I cannot help with the other places.

Refuel:
    At the T2 you have a good choice of fuel stations. Serenje is your last option before the turn off to Kasanka or Bangweulu Swamps. In Mpika you have several options. At Kasama only one of the three fuel stations had diesel, with a very long queue as a consequence.
    Between Mansa and Kasama there is no regular fuel station. We bought in Mporokoso bush fuel. The Caltex in Mbereshi is closed. The fuel station in Mupushi ran out of fuel. In Mansa there’s plenty of choice.
    Food:
    Mansa: big shoprite that is reasonably well stocked, you’ll find almost everything here. Open every day till 8pm, also on Sunday.
    Kasama: big shoprite, but we didn’t shopped here, so I cannot give detail on range of products.
    Apart from places like Kasembe and Mporokoso, where there’s a lively market, you only find stalls and very small local shops. We didn’t even found bread in Mporokoso (most likely because it was on a Saturday).

Other things to do:
    * In Kasembe there’s a ceremony for a local king in the last weekend (Friday & Saturday) of july. Don’t miss this! Check these websites:
    http://umutomboko.homestead.com/
    http://www.zambiatourism.com/umutomboko-ceremony-2013
    Apart from some peacecorps workers, you’re likely to be the only tourist.
    * Mukeke bridge: fantastic view over the plains, it reminded us a lot of Barotse plains. Wonderful for a stop.
    * Lake Waka Waka: nice lake, where you can spend the night at a campsite.

Route: I'll post seperately about road conditions.

Greetings
    Gunther

Quote Originally Posted by john 001 View Post
    NLNP has community campsites at the NW and SE entrances. Both are good, but personally I wouldn't waste time going there!
    SLNP is much nicer and a lot more game.
    There's good and reasonably priced accommodation just outside the gate at Croc Valley campsite/lodge on the Luangwa River.
    Its also possible to drive from Mutinondo (get details from them) southwards through SLNP and out the main gate.
    We drove from SLNP to NLNP. We stayed at Chibembe in between the two parks. There was a long time ago a lodge here. Now it is bought by a zambian and an englishman. They have plans to build a lodge here by 2017. The location is wonderful. Three guys are looking after the place. You can camp here. They will provide you with hot water for a bush shower, and firewood.
    Very nice place with good views at the border of the luangwa river, just in front of the NP.

At the border of the NLNP we stayed at the Chifunda Community Camp. Also very well located at the border of the river.
    NLNP was disappointing. There are very few roads, we saw almost no animals. Instead, I recommend a walking safari with Mark Harvey of Kapisha Hot Springs.

Wow, thanks so much GUnther - awesome information and will be a big help to me in the planning. Great that you also went that time of year.
    “Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.” -
W. C. Fields

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2