Help - Alternator or starter blown??





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    46
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default Help - Alternator or starter blown??

    Hi Guys,


    Need some advice from the auto electrical boffens please.


    The Pathy blew the fusible link (140A on the positive battery terminal) on Saturday. It happened while trying to start the vehicle on an incline without the clutch depressed (Don't ask).


    With the help of a few good men, we bridged the fuse just to get it started. When bridging it and turning the ignition to on everything is fine, but as soon as you turn the key to start the car the bridge starts glowing.


    We then run-start the car not to use the starter. The car starts fine but the bridge starts to glow again while the engine is running.


    What do you think? Alternator or starter blown Anyone have tips on how to test the alternator and starter?


    Thank you
    Lourens Fourie.

    2006 Nissan Pathfinder DCi 4x4 - "Die Brahman Bul"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    12,766
    Thanked: 2462

    Default

    If starting to glow without starter being engaged, then not the starter.

    Could be a short somewhere, could be alternator
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    12,766
    Thanked: 2462

    Default

    Switch ignition on without starting the car..., of not glowing then, it could be alternator
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    46
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Thanks Reenen.


    I soldered the fuse link to test (and to be able to close the windows), and switching on the car everything is fine - everything works (windows, radio, etc.), but as soon as I turn the key to start it is the 4th of July (the soldering sparks and melts straight away). Not even a sound of the engine turning.
    Lourens Fourie.

    2006 Nissan Pathfinder DCi 4x4 - "Die Brahman Bul"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,728
    Thanked: 182

    Default

    Maybe get the right fuse 1st.

    140A is a lot of power. Most petrol-engine starter motors pull less than that.

    Once the engine is started, it has nothing to do with the starter anymore.

    Now you have an approx 120A alternator trying to recharge the battery. If the alternator was faulty, then it would not have heated up your link...

    Everything sounds fine to me, except your bad fix.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,728
    Thanked: 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LHFPathy View Post
    Thanks Reenen.


    I soldered the fuse link to test (and to be able to close the windows), and switching on the car everything is fine - everything works (windows, radio, etc.), but as soon as I turn the key to start it is the 4th of July (the soldering sparks and melts straight away). Not even a sound of the engine turning.
    Solder is not meant for high current applications. High current components get bolted down.

    I'm not saying there is not a problem, but you will not find it until you have the correct fuse fitted.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    46
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    Maybe get the right fuse 1st.

    140A is a lot of power. Most petrol-engine starter motors pull less than that.

    Once the engine is started, it has nothing to do with the starter anymore.

    Now you have an approx 120A alternator trying to recharge the battery. If the alternator was faulty, then it would not have heated up your link...

    Everything sounds fine to me, except your bad fix.

    I have ordered the fusible link, but @ R640 a pop I am a bit weary to put the new fusible link before I have made sure that the alternator and/or starter is ok.


    I am looking at loose fuse holders now as testing with a loose R20 140A fuse that the circuitry is ok gives me a few more chances before reaching R640.
    Lourens Fourie.

    2006 Nissan Pathfinder DCi 4x4 - "Die Brahman Bul"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,728
    Thanked: 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LHFPathy View Post
    I have ordered the fusible link, but @ R640 a pop I am a bit weary to put the new fusible link before I have made sure that the alternator and/or starter is ok.


    I am looking at loose fuse holders now as testing with a loose R20 140A fuse that the circuitry is ok gives me a few more chances before reaching R640.
    Audio shops stock high current fuses and holders.

    Nissan is also known to be slightly coocoo with pricing. Shop around for the permanent fuse.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilderness
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,141
    Thanked: 1078

    Default

    The fusible link always has +power feeding all the components on the vehicle.
    The starter charging wire could be connected straight to the battery+ or the starter cable+. A bad connection can cause fireworks on any of these cables. When trying to start the vehicle and it blows the fuse/ fusible link, points to a problem with the starter(short)
    If the vehicle is run started and the correct fuse is blown points to the alternator.
    Replace the fusible link with normal wire and see what happens. (be carefull of not damaging other components) There is a difference between a fusible link and a fuse. Only after testing with normal wire, replace with origional
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2015/10/13 at 06:02 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    46
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    The fusible link always has +power feeding all the components on the vehicle.
    The starter charging wire could be connected straight to the battery+ or the starter cable+. A bad connection can cause fireworks on any of these cables. When trying to start the vehicle and it blows the fuse/ fusible link, points to a problem with the starter(short)
    If the vehicle is run started and the correct fuse is blown points to the alternator.
    Replace the fusible link with normal wire and see what happens. (be carefull of not damaging other components) There is a difference between a fusible link and a fuse. Only after testing with normal wire, replace with origional
    After the 140A fuse link it splits to 4 (60A/80A/80A/100A) fuse links. The alternator is the only cable/wire that is connected between the 140A and the others.


    My thinking is, but I could be wrong, that one of the other fuse links would have blown before the 140A if it was something else. According to the manual there is a 40A fuse before the starter which is still fine. Here is an extract from the manual.




    M/T MODELS


    Power is supplied at all times:




    l to starter motor terminal 1 and


    l through 40A fusible link (letter J , located in the fuse and fusible link box)


    l to ignition switch terminal 1.






    with the ignition switch in the START position, power is supplied:




    l from ignition switch terminal 5


    l to IPDM E/R terminal 21.






    With the start signal is input to IPDM E/R CPU, power is supplied:




    l through IPDM E/R terminal 14


    l to IPDM E/R terminal 48.






    Ground is supplied at all times:




    l to IPDM E/R terminals 38 and 59


    l from body grounds E21, E41 and E61.






    Then the starter relay is turned ON.


    The IPDM E/R starter relay is energized and power is supplied:




    l from terminal 19 of IPDM E/R


    l to terminal 2 of the starter motor.






    The starter motor plunger closes and provides a closed circuit between the battery and the starter motor. The


    starter motor is grounded to the cylinder block. With power and ground supplied, the starter motor operates.


    "
    Lourens Fourie.

    2006 Nissan Pathfinder DCi 4x4 - "Die Brahman Bul"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    46
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Verdict.... Alternator. Replaced and everything is 100% again.


    Was starting to worry that it was my bad fix only.
    Lourens Fourie.

    2006 Nissan Pathfinder DCi 4x4 - "Die Brahman Bul"

Similar Threads

  1. How to know if NL 50 amp fuse is blown
    By fordshark in forum Camping, Fridges, Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2013/11/29, 08:35 AM
  2. Freelander 2 Blown boostpipe
    By jono1981 in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2012/07/25, 10:38 AM
  3. Blown fuse for aux 12v output.
    By Morne Snyman in forum Toyota
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012/07/13, 04:28 PM
  4. blown front fog light fuse - disco3
    By vnitos in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2011/01/07, 02:40 PM
  5. Blown head gasket lead to blown head?
    By cmcs in forum Mitsubishi
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2007/06/29, 09:46 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •