looking for what inside info; Selous

Default looking for what inside info; Selous

Hello you all,

Our self drive from Johannesburg to Tanzania is getting his form.
    We have some days left ans after the great postings from Stan on his blog we have a look at Selous.
    We love to be alone and like special campsite s a lot also for that reason.
    Is it really the truth we are compulsory to take the armed guard with us?

Some people like it and enjoy the extra info etc. but this is not what we are looking for.
    Some people were allowed to go without.
    In the rules from the Selous park is steated that it is compulsory.
    If he stay with us at night is it possible to go our own way during the day time and game drives?
    If he is compulsory to stay with us all the time, we skip this park because this is totally not something we like.

I hope someone can give us some more details on this fact.
    It s a kind of a detour for us, but reports from Stan sounds so good so if we can stay by our selfs we would love to go!
    Then I make another route to include Selous.

Looking forward of your insight info.
    Last edited by sylvia000; 2015/10/11 at 09:46 PM.

As far as I am aware, it is compulsory to take an armed guard for camping in the Selous. However, Stan and Anne Weakley persuaded the warden that they didn't have room for a ranger in their vehicle. The Selous is rugged and remote and you definitely need to go fully equipped for wild camping, carry all the fuel and water you need, and have a reliable GPS with Tracks4Africa. The roads to the reserve are tough and the tracks within the reserve can be challenging. But it is a seldom visited gem.

Hello,

I was in Selous (Selous River Camp) last July, I cannot remember having been sked to take a ranger with me when visiting the reserve..

The only place in Tanzania where I was asked (from the Maasai) is at the entrance of Ngorongoro crater, the first time I was there (around July 10th) I took the guide (usually 50,000 to 60,000 Tanzania Shlling), I returned one week later, had met with Ann and Stan in the meantime, then refused to take anybody, they did not insist too much..

Cheers..

Eric

An armed ranger is different to a guide. The Selous rules mean that you are supposed to take an armed ranger - who comes with his tent etc - but you have to provide his food if you are going to the public campsite. That was what we did in the Selous in 2008 when we camped at Lake Tagalala and we were glad we had him. This was before the modern GPS systems and the advent of T4A and, although my husband is very experienced and we never get lost, the "main roads" were like little used bush tracks so one could very easily get horribly lost. He also collected water for us from the crocodile infested Lake Tagalala. I don't know what the rules are if you are staying at the Selous River Camp as that is on the east side of the Selous Game Reserve and we were in the seldom visited west side. Sylvia: be aware of the difference in a "Camp" (i.e. a luxury tented camp/lodge) and what is a campsite in East Africa. Stan and Anne persuaded the warden at the western entrance to the Selous that they didn't have room in their vehicle for a ranger, had a GPS and a map, and were experienced in the bush.

As for the Masai "guides" in the Ngorongoro, they were probably locals trying to get some benefit from tourism. In the past in the Ngorongoro crater, you had to take a ranger with you (it was organised at the NCA HQ) and this was an official ranger not a local "guide". I understand that you don't have to take a ranger into the crater nowadays.

Hello Eric and Wazungu

Thanks for your reply.
    Wazungu we are experienced campers.
    We are doing this for many years and have been to a lot of parks.
    We mosly sleep a special campsites with no facilities, we like the privacy.
    That s why I asked this question about Selous/
    We have a fully equiped 4x4 with rooftent, watertank, own satelite Phone, gps, tracks for Africa etc. So that s no problem