Default SA Car of the Year: 20 semi-finalists revealed

An interesting selection of vehicles for the 2016 SA COTY.

Motoring scribes had been raving about the CACTUS. Wonder if it will...

Cape Town - The 20 semi-finalists competing for the 2016 SA Car of the Year (CoTY) tital has been revealed following a vote by members of the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ).
    Voting was cast on new vehicles introduced to market within the 2016 Car of the Year eligibility period. Wheels24's Janine Van der Post is CoTY jury member and SA Women's Coty judge.
    The SA Guild of Motoring Journalists has run the 2015 SA Car of the Year competition since 1986.
    Top 20 finalists
    The SAGMJ has announced its CoTY semi-finalist: (in alphabetical order)
    Audi TT Coupe
    BMW i3
    Citroen C4 Cactus
    Ford Fusion
    Honda HR-V
    Jaguar XE
    Kia Grand Sedona
    Kia Sorento
    Kia Soul
    Land Rover Discovery Sport
    Mazda 2 Hatch
    Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe
    Nissan X-Trail
    Opel Adam
    Opel Corsa
    Peugeot 308
    Renault Captur
    Suzuki Ciaz
    Volkswagen Golf SV
    Volvo XC90

The finalists
    Voting for the final vehicles has already been concluded by the 2016 SAGJM jury and will be announced on September 30 2015 in Johannesburg.

honestly, there is nothing in that list that deserves to be called 'a car of the year'

GLE is an option, but heck! Its pricey!
    What a life!

Quote Originally Posted by Quack View Post
    GLE is an option, but heck! Its pricey!
    heck is an understatement. But doubt it. It is said and written that the "new" BMW X6 is much better.

Kia Grand Sedona would be my pick, just because it does what it does very well. Price may count against it though. But watch them award it to the TT, closest thing to a Porsche Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    Kia Grand Sedona would be my pick, just because it does what it does very well. Price may count against it though. But watch them award it to the TT, closest thing to a Porsche Boxster
    looking at the list earlier is exactly what I thought "WOW no Porche" .

They didnt like the Jeep hehee
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

That opel adam will win
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    That opel adam will win
    in that company, it would be easy.

they should put that Datsun death trap into the contest. at least it has character...

• Audi TT Coupe Brilliant compared to the humdrum V2 TT, a true successor to the original TT. One of the best interiors in any modern mass produced car. This could win.
    • BMW i3 Groundbreaking in some areas but it still takes too long to charge and cannot go far on a charge so not suitable for SA. This won't win.
    • Citroen C4 Cactus Interesting design but mechanically nothing new. Resale will be dismal and why no rev counter?? This won't win.
    • Ford Fusion A big fancy Focus. Good car, not much excitement and zero imagination. This won't win.
    • Honda HR-V Expensive and under powered. Honda can do so much better. This won't win.
    • Jaguar XE A seriously good alternative to the 3 series and C Class, and some very clever new tech under the skin. This could win.
    • Kia Grand Sedona A big competent family van that doesn't drive as good as it looks. This won't win.
    • Kia Sorento A very competent platkar that looks like an SUV but go off road and doesn't drive as good as it looks. This won't win.
    • Kia Soul V2 of a uniquely styled crossover that's ever so slightly pointless. This won't win.
    • Land Rover Discovery Sport A mommy wagon that nowhere near what the agile, good looking and capable off road Freelander 2 was. This won't win.
    • Mazda 2 Hatch Good hatch, but the petrols lacks punch and drinks fuel. This won't win.
    • Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe Created to keep up with the Joneses or ferry a Kardashian around. Cannot go off road. I hope this does not win.
    • Nissan X-Trail So much better than the previous generation, and so much better looking too. This probably deserves to win but it won't.
    • Opel Adam Pricey and odd looking small hatch that's more competent than most of Opels products of late, but it's never going to sell like Opels used to in the 80's. Good car but won't win.
    • Opel Corsa Look how fat I got. But good car, gotten expensive and not as groundbreaking as the orignal Corsa. Won't win.
    • Peugeot 308 Peugeot is getting there, but they are not quite there yet. This won't win, and in 2 years you can buy a low mileage used one for less than 1/2 of the price now.
    • Renault Captur A Clio on steroids, this looks good but needs a bit more punch. Good effort, but it won't win.
    • Suzuki Ciaz If this had a turbo motor it would win. Seriously good value for money let down by a 1.4 motor that lets the side down sadly. So it won't win.
    • Volkswagen Golf SV The latest Golfs are awesome machines, and this could very well win.
    • Volvo XC90 A massive improvement in every aspect compared to the original. Brilliant new tech, as safe as can be and beautifully made. Expensive but you get a lot for your money. This deserves to win, and I hope it does.
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2015/09/22 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Audi TT Coupe Brilliant compared to the humdrum V2 TT, a true successor to the original TT. One of the best interiors in any modern mass produced car. This could win.
    BMW i3 Groundbreaking in some areas but it still takes too long to charge and cannot go far on a charge so not suitable for SA. This won't win.
    Citroen C4 Cactus Interesting design but mechanically nothing new. Resale will be dismal and why no rev counter?? This won't win.
    Ford Fusion A big fancy Focus. Good car, not much excitement and zero imagination. This won't win.
    Honda HR-V Expensive and under powered. Honda can do so much better. This won't win.
    Jaguar XE A seriously good alternative to the 3 series and C Class, and some very clever new tech under the skin. This could win.
    Kia Grand Sedona A big competent family van that doesn't drive as good as it looks. This won't win.
    Kia Sorento A very competent platkar that looks like an SUV but go off road and doesn't drive as good as it looks. This won't win.
    Kia Soul V2 of a uniquely styled crossover that's ever so slightly pointless. This won't win.
    Land Rover Discovery Sport A mommy wagon that nowhere near what the agile, good looking and capable off road Freelander 2 was. This won't win.
    Mazda 2 Hatch Good hatch, but the petrols lacks punch and drinks fuel. This won't win.
    Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe Created to keep up with the Joneses or ferry a Kardashian around. Cannot go off road. I hope this does not win.
    Nissan X-Trail So much better than the previous generation, and so much better looking too. This probably deserves to win but it won't.
    Opel Adam Pricey and odd looking small hatch that's more competent than most of Opels products of late, but it's never going to sell like Opels used to in the 80's. Good car but won't win.
    Opel Corsa Look how fat I got. But good car, gotten expensive and not as groundbreaking as the orignal Corsa. Won't win.
    Peugeot 308 Peugeot is getting there, but they are not quite there yet. This won't win, and in 2 years you can buy a low mileage used one for less than 1/2 of the price now.
    Renault Captur A Clio on steroids, this looks good but needs a bit more punch. Good effort, but it won't win.
    Suzuki Ciaz If this had a turbo motor it would win. Seriously good value for money let down by a 1.4 motor that lets the side down sadly. So it won't win.
    Volkswagen Golf SV The latest Golfs are awesome machines, and this could very well win.
    Volvo XC90 A massive improvement in every aspect compared to the original. Brilliant new tech, as safe as can be and beautifully made. Expensive but you get a lot for your money. This deserves to win, and I hope it does.
    I am impressed.

If that's original material I will bow to your superior knowledge of all things in life and try a Spur steak again.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I am impressed.

If that's original material I will bow to your superior knowledge of all things in life and try a Spur steak again.
    That's just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with eating a Spur steak. But you can do better for similar money elsewhere...

So the 20 semi-finalists had been shaken and stirred and 12 finalists chosen

The 12 finalists competing for the 2016 SA Car of the Year (CoTY) title has been revealed following a vote by members of the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ).

It looks like the 2016 competition could avoid controversy - there's no Porsche.

The 12 finalists include two Opel hatchbacks (Corsa and Adam) and the Jaguar Land Rover duo (XE, Discovery Sport). A notable finalist is BMW's electric hybrid i3.

The 12 finalists are (in no particular order):
    Opel Corsa
    Jaguar XE
    Peugeot 308
    Land Rover Discovery Sport
    Mazda 2
    Kia Sorento
    Citroen C4 Cactus
    Honda HR-V
    Ford Fusion
    Opel Adam
    Volvo XC90
    BMW i3

New rules for 2016:
    With the aim of rewarding "automotive excellence", the 2016 CoTY Jury will put the finalists through structured testing in early February 2016. The winner will be announced in March 2016 in Gauteng.

Each vehicle will be scored and measured against its class competitors on aspects that include:
    Value for money
    Safety & technology
    Performance
    Overall excellence
    Interior design & practicality
    Handling & dynamics
    Exterior aesthetics
    Efficiency

Wheels24

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    in that company, it would be easy.

they should put that Datsun death trap into the contest. at least it has character...
    The Datsun Go has been panned because of its lack of certain features such as ABS brakes and air bags, but other"entry level" vehicles such as the really terrible Chevy Spark doesn't have those either. But saying that I was very unimpressed with the Go when I was looking for a new car for the wife but it was a bit better than the Spark.
    Our experience with the Local Nissan/Datsun agents make me very wary of even considering one of their vehicles. I have had many Datsun/Nissans over the years and used to be a real supporter, but their atrocious handling of a major problem with our Navara has soured me to say the least.

seeing that they want to reward "automotive excellence", some in the Top 12 do not belong there either.