Where to find Tanz. secondary reserve fees ?

Default Where to find Tanz. secondary reserve fees ?

I have been pouring over a map of Tanzania with the idea of exploring the western corridor/Lake Tanganyika side National Parks AND secondary game reserves like Uwanda Game Reserve, Ugalla River Game Reserve and Moyowosi Game Reserve.

But I cannot find any site the provides the fees for these secondary game reserves (as opposed to the National Parks) and info re camp sites and camping fees etc at these secondary reserves.

Can anyone help?

These reserves aren't open to the public, as far as I know. Some of them allow hunting as they are game reserves as opposed to national parks. They also don't really have a road network.

However, western Tanzania and the beautiful Lake Tanganyika are seldom visited gems. Katavi National Park is fantastic.

Thanks Wazungu, do you perhaps know under what management authority these secondary reserves closer to Lake Tanganyika fall, eg provincial or regional authority?

I am not entirely sure, but in Kenya (which after all was administered under the British pre Independence and likely to be the same) game reserves fall under the local county council.. The overall authority is the Game Department which comes under the Ministry of Wildlife and Tourism. Google government departments in Tanzania and you might get a clearer idea. But I do know that Rukwa Game Reserve is for hunting parties, and if you look at an ordnance survey map of the areas you are asking about, this is an area of low-lying black cotton soil and probably has never been for public access. After all, the route due west from Tabora to Kigoma has only recently been opened up due to this problem of the soil structure and crossing various rivers (e.g the Malagarasi river) and swamps. If you read Stanley's (the explorer) account of getting from Tabora to Ujiji to "find" Livingstone, you will get an idea of the sort of country you are asking about.

Good luck!

Thanks again Wazungu. Interesting advice. I know all about black cotton soil and how impossible it can be in wet conditions. It really is very significant that besides for the national parks, Tanzania has significant reserves further dedicated to conservation.

I presume you know about the Selous Game Reserve which is the biggest game reserve (or any other conservation area) in Africa? Tanzania - like the rest of the East African countries - is, and always has been, in the forefront on conservation issues. Not any easy subject, but taken very seriously.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2015/10/04 at 01:38 AM.

I can confirm that Rukwa Game Reserve is only for hunting, we visited there a few months back. At Lake Tanganyika we bumped into some South Africans who had tried to visit some of the reserves you mention. I cannot recall which exactly. I think it was Ugalla where they found some researchers starting a project to habituate some of the chimps present. However they were unable to enter any of these reserves. if I recall correctly, no roads and no camping.

With Katavi, Ruaha and Selous in the south and west it is not clear to me why you would want to visit these other secondary game reserves. I think even if feasible they have little to offer except isolation and this you will find in the above 3 as well as plenty of animals. For further detail on southern and western Tanzania you might want to check my blog at www.slowdonkey.com under Tanzania.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    I have been pouring over a map of Tanzania with the idea of exploring the western corridor/Lake Tanganyika side National Parks AND secondary game reserves like Uwanda Game Reserve, Ugalla River Game Reserve and Moyowosi Game Reserve.

But I cannot find any site the provides the fees for these secondary game reserves (as opposed to the National Parks) and info re camp sites and camping fees etc at these secondary reserves.

Can anyone help?
    I have found this organisation which seems to be involved in conservation in Ugalla and Moyowosi Game Reserves:

http://friedkinfund.org/where

But I also found
    http://www.gftsafari.com/ who operate hunting in Ugalla, Moyowosi, Rukwa, Rungwa River and Kigosi Game Reserves.