Carnet needed to take SA Reg car into Tanzania?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Carnet needed to take SA Reg car into Tanzania?

Hi.

I am sorry if this question has been asked a million times but I still can't find a solid answer.

Is it possible to tour Tanzania without a carnet (driving a South african registered vehicle)? Do they offer a TIP like Zambia/Malawi do?

Has anyone done it?

Many thanks

Ollie
    Last edited by olliesplanet; 2015/09/29 at 01:35 PM.

Yes I've done it about 7 years back.Was asked for the carnet.Told them I did not have one.Was asked to pay 5 USD in cash.Bought insurance at the kiosk and was on my way.Was never asked for it at road check points.Don't think it has changed.

We traveled to Tanzania in 2012 through Zim, Moz and Malawi. We had a carnet and the document definitely made our lives much easier at the border posts.

Hello,
    We went last Aug at a trip with a South African vehicle..
    We had problems at the Chirundu border because we did not had the TIP, it cost us a couple off hours extra,
    They asked for it at the Malawi border but it was not a big problem,
    At the Tanzanian border they made us wait for 2 extra hours.
    The biggest problem was the Tuduma border it was a very big problem and after a lot off talking, stressing and a lot off hours they left us through.

So if i where you I get the TIP, have a great trip

A carnet will make your life infinitely easier. And you can redeem it at the end of your journey and get your deposit back.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Definitely go the carnet route or the difficulties at the border will be the most remembered part of your trip.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Definitely go the carnet route or the difficulties at the border will be the most remembered part of your trip.
    + 1

I have been travelling in Southern and Eastern Africa on a Carnet with my French registered Defende for nearly four years (part time, I had a total of ten trips), never had any problem at any border..

Cheers..

Eric

So where does one buy a Carnet?
    2011 I30 Huyundai platcar
    2017 Ford Ranger D/Cab 2.2 TdCi XLS 4x4 Auto

The Carnet now costs R2800 minimum depending on the value of your car, excluding the deposit. Is the couple extra hours at the border really worth that amount, if they domactually keep you longer? We are also going there in december and I cant really make up my mind about getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by regmark View Post
    So where does one buy a Carnet?
    At the AA and only at the AA

Good Morning Mr Barkhuizen

Your deposit will be R2000.00 and the Carnet fee you can obtain a 5pg Carnet as you would only need it in Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania for Mozambique and Botswana you obtain a TIP(Temporary Import Permit)at the border.

The total would be R4800.00 including the deposit R2000.00 and Carnet fee R2800.00

If you require any further information please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Cleodene Sauls
    Foreign Travel
    Tel:
    011 799-1009
    Email:
    [email protected]
    Web:
    www.aa.co.za

Letter eceived from the AA, but on their website it says that it is recommended and not compulsary.

Hi. Thank you for all your messages. Really helpful!

The reason I don't want to get a carnet is because if you are not an RSA Citizen (or hold a work permit) but you want to take an RSA Reg vehicle then you have to pay a deposit of 100% of the value of the vehicle. This was just about bearable on a previous trip in an old TD5 Defender (putting down a ZAR 100,000 deposit) but on a new Land Cruiser thats quite a sum to part with and I can't afford it.

All other countries have a TIP system so it seems mad to have to put down a huge carnet deposit just for the luxury of entering one country.

I will try without and report back!

Thanks again for all your help.

O

I paid R13k for a Carnet driving up to Kenya,you also pay extra for the amount of pages you need-countries you intend visiting need a page each

Bestest fing is to contact AA Kyalami(head office),they give great advice.
    AA Automobile Association,not the booze one...

Makes border crosssings a LOT easier even if not all the countries need a Carnet
    Interests sake-Egypt needs 200% of your cars value!
    A legend in his own mind

As I posted earlier I travelled without a carnet.I never intended to visit Tan but while on this crazy road trip I ended there.I intend to do the same in Dec this year.Be polite and say how great their country is.Have some small denomination USD on hand.You will go thro'.I entered and exited the same border post.

It is not necessary but it is good to have.
    For Kenya it is a must have.
    The cost is about R2500.00 depending on length of stay and number of borders you are going through.
    You also have to pay a R10 000.00 deposit that gets refunded a few days after you return the Carnet.
    Mike Tucker

Hi Ollie,

See the link below to the SA AA website

http://www.aa.co.za/travel/into-afri.../tanzania.html

TIP for Tanzania for an SA reg vehicle is $150.

Happy travels.

Itchyfeet

Ah ha! Itchy feet that is really great news to see it on the AA website. I will take that with me and point at it until i am let in. Thanks for finding it. Wish me luck.

Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by olliesplanet View Post
    The reason I don't want to get a carnet is because if you are not an RSA Citizen (or hold a work permit) but you want to take an RSA Reg vehicle then you have to pay a deposit of 100% of the value of the vehicle. This was just about bearable on a previous trip in an old TD5 Defender (putting down a ZAR 100,000 deposit) but on a new Land Cruiser thats quite a sum to part with and I can't afford it.
    O
    Hi,
    I only stumbled over this thread now, so here my info:
    I reside in Germany with an SA registered LC 76.
    Since I was not prepared to put down the whole value of the car as deposit with the AA SA and not having a bank account in SA, where I could obtain a bank guarantee, I went a different way.
    Being a member of the German ADAC (same like AA) I enquired with them, if they where able and willing to issue a CDP.
    Their answer was: YES, we will, providing the AA SA gives us their OK !
    So I emailed to AA headoffice in Kyalami stating my case.
    Within 24 hours there was an email from them directly to the ADAC department handling carnets in Munich, granting their permission; I received a copy of this email.
    So I applied for the carnet in Germany, paying a reasonable price and getting a bank guarantee to secure the deposit.
    So now my LC is parked in Arusha/Tanzania, waiting to be taken around East Africa in January again.

Hi Ollie,

Just to add to Fips post ...

As you probably know getting a carnet from the RAC in the UK is considerably more expensive than getting one in Europe (or from the AA in SA for that matter). Plus I seriously doubt the RAC would have been as co-operative as ADAC were to Fips BUT in case you are not aware the RAC are withdrawing from providing carnets in the UK as of December 31st. Currently there is no UK replacement issuer and ADAC have said that they will consider issuing carnets to UK residents from January 1st. So you may well be able to do exactly as Fips did and get a carnet from ADAC for your SA registered car. ADACs costs are very reasonable (certainly compared to the UK equivalent). If it were me I'd definitely look into it.

Itchy feet
    Last edited by itchyfeet; 2015/12/22 at 12:11 AM.

Our vehicles are currently in Tanzania, we entered without a Carnet and only had to pay $20 per vehicle for a temporary import permit. Had no issues without it and we thought we would have only saved about 20 minutes with a Carnet. The import permit must be paid in dollars and then there are guys with red shirts that does the insurance for 100 000 shillings. Do not change money at the guys next to the road as they will rob you, there are bureaus at the Malawi and Tanzanian sides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast