Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Prostate Cancer

Default Re: Prostate Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    100% agreed. It is a quick, cheap blood test once a year and the earlier a guy starts doing this, the better the tendency can be followed and a rise can be very quickly detected and acted upon. There is no such thing as too young to start with the PSA tests.

You don't even need anything from your GP. Just rock up at Lancet, tell them the test you want, pay and bob's your uncle. Get the Lancet app and one can see the results of all blood tests plus create graphs of things like PSA count.

Awesome thanks, I didn't know about the app, I can now see all my blood tests from the last couple of years.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

100% agreed. It is a quick, cheap blood test once a year and the earlier a guy starts doing this, the better the tendency can be followed and a rise can be very quickly detected and acted upon. There is no such thing as too young to start with the PSA tests.

You don't even need anything from your GP. Just rock up at Lancet, tell them the test you want, pay and bob's your uncle. Get the Lancet app and one can see the results of all blood tests plus create graphs of things like PSA count.
    The doctor I saw today, said the blood tests are not 100% fool proof, apparently the prostate is very good at hiding cancer. He literally removed one last week, where the blood tests revealed nothing, but the oom had symptoms, finger up the bum, prostate hard as a rock.

[QUOTE=duncang;4733620]How many have had Brachy fail ? Mine did from 2018 and in 2020 PSA was up to 22

I had it probably about 15 years ago and worked fine, but mine was caught very early.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Good luck Roelf. Mental wellness is important in your arsenal to overcome this Prostate cancer. Think Positive, speak to others that have been through it and most importantly those close to you. It can be overcome.
    I went through the same process 3.5 years ago and last week received my all clear 6 monthly check
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    I went for my exam today - good grief, what an uncomfortable experience.

Sterkte Roelf -

You get used to it
    No pain - no gain!

The doctor I saw today, said the blood tests are not 100% fool proof, apparently the prostate is very good at hiding cancer. He literally removed one last week, where the blood tests revealed nothing, but the oom had symptoms, finger up the bum, prostate hard as a rock.
    Called the silent killer!

Called the silent killer!
    But VERY good prognoses if caught in time

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Awesome thanks, I didn't know about the app, I can now see all my blood tests from the last couple of years.
    It is a very nice app. You can even print the reports and graphs to take along to your doctor for a second opinion.

The doctor I saw today, said the blood tests are not 100% fool proof, apparently the prostate is very good at hiding cancer..
    Your doctor is correct. All I am saying is that for a young man of 30 or 35, the physical examination may not be necessary every year. But the PSA blood test done yearly from that age will give a very good indication of what the PSA is doing long term. If the PSA suddenly spikes, then obviously the person needs to get himself to a doctor for the physical exam asap.

I am not suggesting the the blood test is the only and the best, it is just one tool in the monitoring and scanning process, plus it is cheap and fairly painless. So nothing lost except a few useless randelas and drops of blood.

This topic is very close to me, so apologies for all my posts on a man thread. I have seen a very good friend (forum member) walk the path and eventually loose the fight plus I have a husband of 'age' and we have been doing this PSA and exam thing now for a couple of years with him.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/09/16 at 03:54 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Some doctors don't believe in the blood test, they insist on the physical, my GP is fine with the blood test and a physical from time to time, but over 60 or something he will do the physical every time along with the blood test.
    I asked him about it, it's because of his way of doing things that he is still my GP.

On a serious note, some guys think the blood test is enough and it's all that's needed for ever, but at some point the physical is needed whether they like it or not.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

I have long ago made peace with the fact that if you want to be helped medically,then pain, discomfort and shyness will have to take a back seat!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

It is a very nice app. You can even print the reports and graphs to take along to your doctor for a second opinion.

Your doctor is correct. All I am saying is that for a young man of 30 or 35, the physical examination may not be necessary every year. But the PSA blood test done yearly from that age will give a very good indication of what the PSA is doing long term. If the PSA suddenly spikes, then obviously the person needs to get himself to a doctor for the physical exam asap.

I am not suggesting the the blood test is the only and the best, it is just one tool in the monitoring and scanning process, plus it is cheap and fairly painless. So nothing lost except a few useless randelas and drops of blood.

This topic is very close to me, so apologies for all my posts on a man thread. I have seen a very good friend (forum member) walk the path and eventually loose the fight plus I have a husband of 'age' and we have been doing this PSA and exam thing now for a couple of years with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Some doctors don't believe in the blood test, they insist on the physical, my GP is fine with the blood test and a physical from time to time, but over 60 or something he will do the physical every time along with the blood test.
    I asked him about it, it's because of his way of doing things that he is still my GP.

On a serious note, some guys think the blood test is enough and it's all that's needed for ever, but at some point the physical is needed whether they like it or not.
    Yes. The blood test is not the be-all and end-all, but it does help to identify long-term trends, and also acts as an early red-flag raiser in some cases. It is very important to realise that for men between ages 40 and 55, a PSA above 2 is a red marker. If you read on the internet, you will only read about a PSA of 4, but that is for men above 55 years of age. Nobody mentions the 2 because prostate cancer is traditionally seen as an old man's disease.

I was lucky that my GP picked it up with my PSA being 3.24 and sending me for a physical DRE at a urologist because of my age (45). If they waited until it was >4, who knows what my prognosis would have been?
    Last edited by 4xhilux; 2021/09/16 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Edit to add that I've put in bold because I know of 2 cases where men around 40 with PSA above 2, but below 4 was ignored.
    Current: LC200 - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4xhilux For This Useful Post:

On the blood tests there is a trick with costs. If pensioner ask pensioner's discount. On hospital plan ask them to send to medical aid. Firstly the cost is less and secondly hospital plan pays some. Originally we were told about the sending in. We do so and bills tend to be less and yes. On some tests we do get discount - after asking.

Blood test is about a must annually, younger can skip a bit. For the Vaseline job, if worried, go to a female doctor or take a Vernier and measure finger diameter More seriously. It is quick and painless.

Females have also tests they have to go regular. Medical aids including hospital plans pay some of those every 2nd year or so.

P.S. There is a large study starting in UK just now where simple blood test gives very early warning for about 50 different cancers. Results of the study will be out 2014 or 2025. NHS is hopeful and exited about this.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Roelf, alle sterkte en voorspoed.

Laat weet as daar iets is waarmee ons almal jou kan help.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Yup. I wasn't even there 10 minutes either.

The timing of this thread popping up and my old man's issues is a bit of a wakeup for me.

I've diarised another PSA in a year and will see how it changes.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Received a copy of the scan report today.
    The right seminal vesicle is getting hammered and the cancer has metastasized to some ribs as well as my right scapula. Luckily I fractured one in a rugby game ages ago, so I didn't have to Google "scapula".

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Recommendation if I may:
    My prostate cancer metastasized at a very early stage. The low Gleason number and relatively lively PSA numbers warned us, but we didn't take it seriously enough. Take this bugger seriously.
    I'm really not posting here for sympathy or support. This disease is a sneaky bastard and the better I can warn you guys, the better you can arm yourselves to avoid my ####.
    I'm honestly in a good mental place and have incredible "clarity of mind".
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2021/09/16 at 08:14 PM.

24. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

So sorry to hear about the spread, Roelf.

Sterkte.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian.McM For This Useful Post:

That is not easy news to hear. I'm so sorry Roelf.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Tonight is an orgy of fire, red wine and music by the fire

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

All the best Roelf.
    Current: LC200 - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to 4xhilux For This Useful Post:

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast