Prostate Cancer - Page 9

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Prostate Cancer

Default Re: Prostate Cancer

Peter bets, you read to much rubish, al you need to do is speak to a heart surgeon to understand the negative side of not going on statins, unfortunatly there are facts proving there effectiveness ....however there are many saying how bad they are....in what way... Muscle cramps... Rather get muscle cramps than heart cramps ....from 7+ I'm down to below 4 ...... You won't achieve that without the correct medication.... I can go on and on.... But speak rather to a flight Doctor .....that does way more than your gp.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Besides all the blood tests and finger probing or scans.

Are there any physical symptoms that should ring an alarm bell.
    I had a total prostatectomy done some 12 years ago.
    Symptoms (in my case) was lower back pain (due to an enlarged prostate pressing against nerves), not able to get a good stream and mild erectile dysfunction.
    My psa was in excess of 7 when I was first tested.
    Do not ignore the symptoms if you want to die of old age.
    Prostate cancer spreads and that will be the start of a horrible end.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to REAList For This Useful Post:

I'm getting my brachytherapy done mid March, but here is my dilemma:
    Both my urologist and oncologist say that my granddaughter (3 years old) must not spend time on my lap for the first 3 months after the treatment. She visits with us every afternoon for about 2 hours. Sure we swing, trampoline, swim and play dolls and dress-up with her, but at some point she'll ask oupa for some story time on my phone. She knows how to get to the YouTube Kids app on my phone and then she settles on my lap and we enjoy some educational (and snuggle) time together.
    Does anybody here have suggestions or advice? We will see if we can get a lead apron for me, but any advice from oupas who have already experienced this situation will be appreciated.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2019/02/26 at 05:59 AM.

Just wrap bandage around thigh for a while...
    Little white fib never hurt anyone
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I'm getting my brachytherapy done mid March, but here is my dilemma:
    Both my urologist and oncologist say that my granddaughter (3 years old) must not spend time on my lap for the first 3 months after the treatment. She visits with us every afternoon for about 2 hours. Sure we swing, trampoline, swim and play dolls and dress-up with her, but at some point she'll ask oupa for some story time on my phone. She knows how to get to the YouTube Kids app on my phone and then she settles on my lap and we enjoy some educational (and snuggle) time together.
    Does anybody here have suggestions or advice? We will see if we can get a lead apron for me, but any advice from oupas who have already experienced this situation will be appreciated.
    I feel for you Roelfie.

I had the same and had the same warning. I have no grandchildren but my dog couldn't understand why he couldn't lie on my lap. Also be careful if you're doing chemo as your immune system may be suppressed and you might have to keep the kids at a distance. All the best for your brachy. I'm six years cancer free now.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    I feel for you Roelfie.

I had the same and had the same warning. I have no grandchildren but my dog couldn't understand why he couldn't lie on my lap. Also be careful if you're doing chemo as your immune system may be suppressed and you might have to keep the kids at a distance. All the best for your brachy. I'm six years cancer free now.
    Thanks man.
    We caught this one early, so fortunately no chemo planned for now.

The news this side is less positive, my dad's psa is not under control and he's pretty much bedridden since last year November, we take it one day at a time and keep our spirits up as much as we can.

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Miems View Post
    The news this side is less positive, my dad's psa is not under control and he's pretty much bedridden since last year November, we take it one day at a time and keep our spirits up as much as we can.
    Oh dear.
    Really sorry to hear.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Glo in the dark therapyName:  20190409_145308.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  44.1 KB

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

My opinion about cannibis oil is.... It helps fokall.
    Been using it since November 2017. Went for bracky in june the 1st 2017. Had 2 radiation treatments... Between 2017 and 2018. PSA is currently at 74. The thing that is not in my favor was my Gleason count. When I went in for a biopsy on my prostate It was 9. This meant I had progressive stage 4 cancer. For the record I was using suppositories and the oil. The oil I used was dark and of good quality.
    Am now on XTandi, at a cost of R30k a month. Thank goodness for medical aid.
    Worst part of all is that my oncologist told me I had 18months of survival.. Statistically...i will just have to prove him wrong..
    I am still at work, I battle with fatigue and have pains in my legs. I can't walk far like I use to do which is a bummer..

The doctors are not always correct with their estimated life expectancy, and I'm proof of that.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HJB01 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HJB01 View Post
    The doctors are not always correct with their estimated life expectancy, and I'm proof of that.
    My life expectancy is still open ended.
    I used to say I want to go out by some jealous guy's bullet, but I suppose I'll have to rethink that one now.
    I'm still very healthy, possibly a little down on stamina, but I'm looking forward to a long and healthy retirement starting next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    My life expectancy is still open ended.
    I used to say I want to go out by some jealous guy's bullet, but I suppose I'll have to rethink that one now.
    I'm still very healthy, possibly a little down on stamina, but I'm looking forward to a long and healthy retirement starting next year.
    Just be patient with the test results. It will never be zero.
    On retirement now is the best time of my life.
    I enjoy life with my wife and all the swambos in my life.
    And when you start getting night sweats and falling asleep early just start with testosterone injections. No biggie.
    Last edited by REAList; 2019/04/10 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REAList View Post
    Just be patient with the test results. It will never be zero.
    On retirement now is the best time of my life.
    I enjoy life with my wife and all the swambos in my life.
    And when you start getting night sweats and falling asleep early just start with testosterone injections. No biggie.
    Testosterone injections? I was told that testosterone injections and prostate cancer in older men are the equivalent of pouring petrol on a fire.
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Testosterone injections? I was told that testosterone injections and prostate cancer in older men are the equivalent of pouring petrol on a fire.
    Irrelevant opinion once you had a prostatectomy. You have / had cancer then.
    I've been getting it for 9 years.
    There is no alternative treatment for night sweats.
    Bodybuilders use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenRS View Post
    Been using it since November 2017. Went for bracky in june the 1st 2017. Had 2 radiation treatments... Between 2017 and 2018. PSA is currently at 74. The thing that is not in my favor was my Gleason count. When I went in for a biopsy on my prostate It was 9. This meant I had progressive stage 4 cancer. For the record I was using suppositories and the oil. The oil I used was dark and of good quality.
    Worst part of all is that my oncologist told me I had 18months of survival.. Statistically...i will just have to prove him wrong..
    I am still at work, I battle with fatigue and have pains in my legs. I can't walk far like I use to do which is a bummer..
    Vasbyt!!

Quote Originally Posted by REAList View Post
    Irrelevant opinion once you had a prostatectomy. You have / had cancer then.
    I've been getting it for 9 years.
    There is no alternative treatment for night sweats.
    Bodybuilders use it all the time.
    I have not had a prostatectomy. I had Brachytherapy which means my prostate is intact with radioactive seeds inside. Bodybuilders are young. The dangers of testosterone are in older men. The reason that androgen ablation is often done for prostate cancer. How can opinion be irrelevant when you may be giving lethal advice? It may not affect all men in the same way. What's good for you might not be good for others, therefore your general medical opinion may be lethal to some.

Have you had prostate cancer?

Gents, lets try and not give medical advise here unless you are a qualified doctor with the relevant experience and patient's specific case knowledge. I do believe we can give support to each other stemming from personal experience. Prostate cancer, and cancer in general, is very unpleasant and we do not need to make this tread unpleasant as well.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HJB01 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenRS View Post
    My dad is on XTandi now, he battles severely with nausea and have no strength, he sleeps most of the time and eats very little. I took him for blood tests yesterday and my sister will collect the results on Monday and take him to see the oncologist, so till then we wait.

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

Some help/advice needed please
    During the latter part of 2016 I started having trouble (especially early morning) having a leak. In January 2017 I went and saw my GP and he sent me (with no other examination) to have my PSA tested. It came in at 5.97. He said it was slightly high but given my age no problem. On my own I went back and had another test in April 2017 and the reading was 4.67, so I felt a bit better. However the having a leak symptoms are slowly getting worse and I now really battle early morning and when I need to go .... I need to go NOW ...
    Once again on my own I went back in March 2019 (two weeks ago) and my PSA is still "low" at 5.17. The having a pee problem remains and I wonder if I should take it further. ??

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast