Prostate Cancer - Page 5

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Prostate Cancer

Default Re: Prostrate Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by HJB01 View Post
    Ek het ook die radikale paaidjie gestap, maar ongelukkig het myne steeds versprei. Nou is daar nie pille, brille, chemo, bestraling of inspuitings wat hom wil laat dooi nie. Kan maar net die groei en verspreiding vertraag. Maar op die oomblik lei ek 'n vol en gelukkige lewe.
    Strekte ou maat.
    En dit is wat meeste mans nie (wil) besef nie! Dit pak ook JONG mans. Hulle lÍ in groot getalle by Urologie. Dit is NIE 'n ou man siekte nie!!

Guys, take all the advice, have your prostrate checked regularly, psa and vingerdruk, will give the doc an idea of whats going on. These two tests as others have said aren't fool proof, but it something at least.
    As others have said having this issue, needent be a death wish, it can be successfully managed.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Strekte ou maat.
    En dit is wat meeste mans nie (wil) besef nie! Dit pak ook JONG mans. Hulle lÍ in groot getalle by Urologie. Dit is NIE 'n ou man siekte nie!!
    Ja dit is waar.

Vrouens is baie meer ingelig oor hulle goed as wat ons mans is,ek wonder hokoem dit so is. Is dit omdat ons te min daar oor praat met mekaar of is dit omdat doktors nie veel inligting versprei oor dit nie,bevoorbeeld hulle moet met n jong man(25+)daroor praat waneer hy by n doktor is.

Ek sien 1/18 mans kry dit ons land
    Last edited by Freebird; 2018/01/14 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Ja dit is waar.

Vrouens is baie meer ingelig oor hulle goed as wat ons mans is,ek wonder hokoem dit so is. Is dit omdat ons te min daar oor praat met mekaar of is dit omdat doktors nie veel inligting versprei oor dit nie,bevoorbeeld hulle moet met n jong man(25+)daroor praat waneer hy by n doktor is.

Ek sien 1/18 mans kry dit ons land
    Dis omdat die PC ouer mans tref, bo 55 is mans in die gevaar zone. Maar alle vrouens is altyd in 'n gevaar zone want hulle het baie meer goeters wat kan oppak.

Dit kan ook wees dat ons mans te trots is om te erken ons het 'n probleem. Ons wil mos altyd die rots wees waarop almal kan staat maak. Skielik het die rots klei voete, is die rots maar ook net 'n mens, en ons sien dit as 'n swakheid of faling.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HJB01 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Strekte ou maat.
    Baie dankie. Dis nie altyd maklik nie en mens se kop is maar bedrieglik met alles wat daar rondmaal...

Dit is 'n absolute mite dat PC 'n kanker net vir ouer mans is. Ek spandeer meer as te veel tyd by radioloŽ en onkoloŽ om te sien dat dit nie net ouer mans is wat daardeur geraak word. Die risiko vir ouer mans (+45) is wel hoŽr as vir jonger mans. As jy jonk is en 'n familie geskiedenis het van borskanker by jou ma of susters, gaan toets jou onmiddelik! Volgens dokters is daar 'n beduidende verband tussen bogenoemde en PC.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HJB01 For This Useful Post:

Just back from Lancet Valley View. 10 minutes maximum. Tiny jab. Fetch results tomorrow morning. Price this year R248. Cheap as chips. Well worth the effort !! ☺
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

A useful screening questionnaire:
    http://www.urospec.com/uro/Forms/ipss.pdf

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KK20 For This Useful Post:

Taking the test gave me a score of zero, indicating I had no problems - which is what I believed at the time. Yet apparently "something" seemed to have appeared on my prostrate at the time of the biopsy. My PSA reading was only 7.1 at the time I underwent brachytherapy treatment which I thought was extremely high until I see what some of the posts here state. At one time it did jump up to 14 but this was caused by an infection (again, I had no idea of this infection) but it dropped to around 4 after three months when I redid the PSA test.

I still am in two minds whether this was a necessary procedure in my case, but I was very wary of the alternative so elected to go for it.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Family_Dog For This Useful Post:

That is interesting to note.
    With ALL screening tests people must not neglect the Annual general check up.

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    Taking the test gave me a score of zero, indicating I had no problems - which is what I believed at the time. Yet apparently "something" seemed to have appeared on my prostrate at the time of the biopsy. My PSA reading was only 7.1 at the time I underwent brachytherapy treatment which I thought was extremely high until I see what some of the posts here state. At one time it did jump up to 14 but this was caused by an infection (again, I had no idea of this infection) but it dropped to around 4 after three months when I redid the PSA test.

I still am in two minds whether this was a necessary procedure in my case, but I was very wary of the alternative so elected to go for it.

-F_D
    Joining the club FD in a week or so. Reading 10.8.
    Was about 3 for last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Joining the club FD in a week or so. Reading 10.8.
    Was about 3 for last 10 years.
    Is it safe to say that your GP will prescribe antibiotics and then you repeat the test in 4 weeks time?
    That, or ask your GP to refer you to a urologist for a more complete assessment.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Is it safe to say that your GP will prescribe antibiotics and then you repeat the test in 4 weeks time?
    That, or ask your GP to refer you to a urologist for a more complete assessment.
    All already done last year. Confirmed cancer. Waited 3 months with monthly tests. Doc confirmed this week it's time for Brachy.

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    All already done last year. Confirmed cancer. Waited 3 months with monthly tests. Doc confirmed this week it's time for Brachy.
    It sounds as if you caught it in time.
    Can't say great, but you know what I mean.
    The Brachy option rates high on the success ladder, so best of luck to you on this path.
    Eggie.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:

Awkward: A tricky situation, for I am looking for a new oncologist for my own treatment.

I do not get on well with the lady in Somerset West that I have been to thus far. More than that I cannot say.

If someone can recommend another doc, I would be grateful.
    Ideally in the Cape Winelands area, but Paarl and Northern Suburbs is also within reach.

Not on open forum please, but a PM will be appreciated.
    Eggie.

If someone can recommend another doc, I would be grateful.
    Its an old joke but to repeat for those that don't know it.

Patient sees his doctor for a prostate check and is a little shocked when this requires a finger up his backside and even more shocked when the doctor informs him that he appears to have prostate cancer. Patient requests a second opinion and his shock is compounded when the doctor then examines him with two fingers up the place where the sun don't shine.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2018/01/20 at 05:23 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

ďGreat journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you campedĒ.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Eggie, speak to your GP for further recommendations. I was sent to an Oncologist (also lady, petite and with small fingers so I felt more at rest - but those tiny fingers were just as evasive as my normal Urologist, if not more so!). You will most likely also have to see an Oncologist before the Medical Aid agrees to the procedure.

Duncan, the procedure is not painful but uncomfortable and tender for a while. The chap who was in the bed next to me also had a PSA count of 10+ and he also displayed none of the expected physical symptoms prior to the brachy.

I takes a while to fully recover but afterwards you will be able to sign your name in the snow again! I can't wait for the next snowfall to hit us

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Family_Dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks FD, not really concerned about the procedure as Doc explained everything. Main worry is a huge testicular cyst size of golf ball. Oncologist says he can't risk urologist cutting his fingers off if done together so I must wait 3 months for seeds to stop radiating. Have to stable my horse.....😁

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    Eggie, speak to your GP for further recommendations. I was sent to an Oncologist (also lady, petite and with small fingers so I felt more at rest - but those tiny fingers were just as evasive as my normal Urologist, if not more so!). You will most likely also have to see an Oncologist before the Medical Aid agrees to the procedure.

Duncan, the procedure is not painful but uncomfortable and tender for a while. The chap who was in the bed next to me also had a PSA count of 10+ and he also displayed none of the expected physical symptoms prior to the brachy.

I takes a while to fully recover but afterwards you will be able to sign your name in the snow again! I can't wait for the next snowfall to hit us

-F_D
    You have to remember that every person reacts differently and some can have the big op with no side effects, yet I had brachy and had very severe side effects. the urologist then did a partial resection and I battled for the the next 6 months. BUT I AM NOW 100% so even if things do not go well at the time they will come right with time.
    Even with my bad experience I will never tell anybody not to have the treatment. Trust your Urologist and follow his/her advise and i believe everything will come right.
    This is not a killer if caught early and treated correctly.

All the best

Rob
    Rob Bagnall

Subaru Forester

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caranx36 For This Useful Post:

I've read that people make a decision too quickly on what procedure should be done,mostly those that get a prostatectomy and regret it because brachytherapy could have been option first.

My dad is going in on tuesday to discuss what procedure will be done,i think it will likely be brachetherapy since it's not too advanced yet.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast