west coast shipwreck trail - guided only?

Default west coast shipwreck trail - guided only?

I have looked through the various posts on the forum but am still not 100% sure if the shipwreck 4wd trail is guided only. From my understanding one can drive the tar between Kleinzee and Koiingnaas with only checking into the security gate with your ID. But if you want to drive on the coast and do the trail one needs to do a guided tour. What about the "Strandveld Dunes Trail" thats on T4A, is a permit required as per T4A and if so where can one get it?
    I phoned Coast of Diamonds Tourism and was told a permit is required to travel that stretch regardless. I was skeptical and the fact that their website is hacked even more so. I am reluctant to pay R600 (300 per person, kids free) for the guide, and don't have space in the Bakkie.
    If I don't take the guide and just travel the tar road, is it worth it? or would it be more scenic to take the Buffelsrivier 4WD trail up to the R355. I intend to take the gravel road more inland from Kleinzee to Port Nolloth in any case just to miss the badly corrugated road near the coast.
    Thanks for any tips.

I have done the shipwreck trail and believe it is guided only. Dudley, the guide, is quite knowledgeable and drives his own vehicle.

As far as I understand Dudley no longer does the tours since Noup closed, but again I am not sure. When did you do the tour with him?

I thought it was more recent, but checking the dates it was 2010.

Yeah I think things have changed. Anyway I am up there on Monday so will ask at the security gates and post back here what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by martinlp View Post
    Yeah I think things have changed. Anyway I am up there on Monday so will ask at the security gates and post back here what they say.

Do you have more information?
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l V8 (HO) Overland
    Old Man Emu lift kit (80mm)
    Bulli Prop

I drove through the main gates at Koiingnaas and was not even asked for ID's or to get out the vehicle to sign in etc. I carried on the tar road through to Kliensee (pretty boring). I turned off into the road to Noop and the other turn offs but the gates were all locked and there was a sign saying one needs to get the key at the security gates. The security gate at Kleinsee side was not even manned.
    So it appears one has to do this shipwreck tour with the guides, but if you do go through it may be worth while asking at the security gate on Koiingnaas side. I did this back in October.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by martinlp; 2016/01/10 at 10:24 PM.

Default Re: west coast shipwreck trail - guided only?

Hi guys
    This thread seems to be the most recent on this trail. Does anyone know what the situation is wrt accessing it?
    I've tried the De Beers phone and email I found on eg T4A and other places - the phone is dead and the email bounced.
    Tried Dudley Wessels, haven't heard back from him (yet).
    Most threads seem to end inconclusively on whether it is still being operated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by westcoaster; 2017/12/10 at 07:13 AM.
    ex: Forester X '10 ("dirty girl") - 25mm lift, bash plates, 235/60/16 ATs, etc.
    now: Forester S-edition '11 ("S-exy young thing") - Chett tune , King springs, bash plates, 225/60/17 ATs, etc.

I did the trail 3 weeks ago. You can contact
    Rodville: 076 642 0868 Ė but probably best
    To keep your expectations realistic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StorminH For This Useful Post:

Some additional info on the trail and other activities that Rodville is running from Kleinzee tourism office. If he asks tell him I sent you I'm trying to get permission to put a camera trap up on the trail for my Brown hyena project but that wheel turns very slowly.
    Last edited by Keith Newnham; 2017/12/10 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added pdf
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

2019 Going back to Kgalagadi but this time without air suspension

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Awesome, thanks guys!
    now: Forester S-edition '11 ("S-exy young thing") - Chett tune , King springs, bash plates, 225/60/17 ATs, etc.

I was actually up in Noup earlier this year again. I didn't do the shipwreck trail but did drive a bit up and down the coast around Noup. What a fantastic place, there is info on the shipwreck trail on the Noup website - http://www.noup.co.za. I was too stingy to pay the R1000 for trail, so did not do it, but I reckon it may be worth it. If you do go, take pics and post!

Quote Originally Posted by martinlp View Post
    I was actually up in Noup earlier this year again. I didn't do the shipwreck trail but did drive a bit up and down the coast around Noup. What a fantastic place, there is info on the shipwreck trail on the Noup website - http://www.noup.co.za. I was too stingy to pay the R1000 for trail, so did not do it, but I reckon it may be worth it. If you do go, take pics and post!
    I'll update here what I can find out - and if we do go, I'll do a trip report 8)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to westcoaster For This Useful Post:

We are staying at Noup for two days over Easter 2018 and also in the surrounding areas. Still planning the activities, but the plan is do as many of the gravel passes in that part going as far south as Gariep. Will do trip report when we get back.
    2009 Suzuki Vitara 3.2AT
    Stofpad bashplates + 40mm lift
    2016 X-Trail 2.5

https://www.namaquacoastal.com/tours/shipwreck-tour

Dit is guided soos ek verstaan, sien website bo vir kostes ens. EK beplan weskus trip volgende jaar.

Default Re: West coast shipwreck trail - guided only?

We are planning a trip to the northern parts of the west coast. I was wondering if one can do the shipwreck trail and other sand roads between Koiingnaas and Kleinsee close to the beach without a permit or guide.
    I phoned the police station in Kleinsee and they indicated to me that the diamond mines are all closed and that there is no permits required to drive on the main road between Koiingnaas and Kleinsee. They were unsure about entering the areas closer to the sea. I also phoned the police station in Hondeklip Bay and they indicated that the main (tar) road between Koiingnaas and Kleinsee is open for public without any permit requirements. They referred me to Dudley Wessels. I phoned Dudley and he said that the mine are under liquidation and that they do not want to allow anyone to enter the "mine" area as they are concerned about the liability of the owners (or liquidators) should anyone be injured in the mining area. Having been involved in mining myself for many years, I know that the mine health and safety act is quite clear indicating that the owner of a mine is responsible for the safety of everyone entering a mining area. Dudley indicated that we should wait patiently as he is working with the liquidators to allow the public to enter the area, most probably on guided tours.
    Any more wisdom will be appreciated.

We done the shipwreck trail with Dudley few years ago. Will highly recommend it because he knows everything about that area and the stories of every shipwreck.
    Francois

Hi
    I did the ship wreck tour in December 2019
    Best to talk to Rodville
    Is see web page is down but se details below . He is flexible with his rates

Thanks a million guys.
    I will also follow up with Rodville.
    Luckily still some time to December when the trip is planned.