Stuck in no man's land-what to have and what to do. - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Stuck in no man's land-what to have and what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    Stop worrying! Namibia is not the middle of nowhere, there are thousands of local diesel vehicles driving everywhere every day. The fuel at the fuel stations is just as clean as SA.

Now you have nothing more to worry about for the next 12 months
    LOL. Ok.....I just this morning read a post where someone is asking for help for their son in Mozambique if I'm not mistaken where they had dirty fuel in their discovery. Dunno how to add another threads URL or whatever in here.

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    For 17 years my wife and I crisscrossed Africa alone in, mostly, a SIII Landy, a SFA Hilux DC, prior to that an Isuzu 4x4, and subsequently a LR 110 TDi. This was prior to satellite phones and even cellphones and only in later years did we have GPS. We worked off 1:50,000 topographical maps and spent months at a time without any contact with the outside world, for example tracking desert elephants and rhino in the Kaokoveld (long before T4A or even the Shell Map series).

Occasionally we'd get somewhere like Kamanjab or Sesfontein and find a tickeybox and try to make a long distance call to SWAMBO's mom, and invariably would get the maid with "Eh...Gogo has gone to town..." so we'd leave a message we'd called, and will try again in a month or two!

We knew we had to be self-contained and totally self-reliant but that was our lifestyle. (How my FIL or MIL put up with it I have no idea!)

I carried comprehensive spares but probably the most unreliable of all the cars was the newest, the LR TDi. That old SIII was a gem though.

Worst day for repairs? 17 punctures (sicklebush/Chinese lantern) in a remote area of Savuti, with a water pump replacement somewhere in the middle of them too! Yes, I carried a spare. Also spare alternator, clutch plate and release bearing, hoses, bearings, shocks, belts etc. All in a spare steel ammo Box permanently on the roof.

We had both rear shocks break in Damaraland on the TDi, and the coils jump off their seats, front UJ go, also on the TDi (2wd for the rest of the trip), 2nd gear go on the Isuzu somewhere in Malawi on our way to Kenya in 1994, and sundry other issues! (Ran my gearbox on a bunch of green bananas after losing all the oil in Botswana once!)

Were we irresponsible? Probably...but we were young and had no alternative. That was our chosen lifestyle, we did it, and we survived. Would we do it again? Certainly, though most of those areas are much tamer today and it's hard not to see another vehicle every day, if not every few hours!

Nowadays it appears every "adventurer" needs backups, failsafes, recovery plans, and "what if" insurance.

That's just not an adventure anymore!
    I hear you but....

Like standing on the back of a bakkie and driving 100km/h. We did it. Grinding without safety gear. We did it. Diving of tables 60m no BC, we did it. But we have become a bit wiser, definitely assessing the risk better.

So yes I was about 20 000 x more stupid then than now
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by TysonJopson View Post
    Always prefer to go with someone - even if they're annoying

Did a section of Khwai alone once and got stuck on one of the bridges. Apparently it's known for 'having a gravity vortex to the right if you're travelling south' wrote one guy

I wrote a story about it for Getaway magazine > http://www.getaway.co.za/activities/...-land-cruiser/

Anyone been over the bridge in that picture?
    yes but managed to stay on that one!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Question Re: Stuck in no man's land-what to have and what to do.

I bumped into this thread at the most apt time of a thought that crossed my mind recently.

Flare Guns...

Are they not a thing anymore? Do they only exist in movies?

I have read posts of people attaching small cellphones on a drone, sending it to the sky to send a rescue me message. The other post was a water crossing gone wrong in Botswana, guy was rescued by rangers who saw his drone blinking in the night sky, their smoke was ineffective in the dark. This was when I thought, well wait a minute, I see nobody talking about flare guns as a part or any rescue gear.

Do these not exist anymore?
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    2011 Landrover Defender 110 Puma SW (sold)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to digibane For This Useful Post:

This sticky thread touches on my experience since my wife and I only really started serious overlanding in August 2017 and have already had to unpack our vehicle twice to get at the recovery gear ammo crate in order to pull a (Russian) tourist in a Hyundai i10 out of sand in Namibia (Aug'17) and one of our own party driving a Freelander 2, also out of sand, in Zambia, Liuwa Plain (Dec'17)... the pics tell the stories...

In both cases, neither of the stuck vehicles had a tow rope/strap...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i10 sand extraction.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	471943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freelander2 sand extraction.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	471944  

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5