Stuck in no man's land-what to have and what to do. - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Subscribe

Almost all of the points made in the preceding posts are important reminders for me.

Anne and I mostly travel alone. We do not avoid the road less traveled if it leads us to a worthwhile destination. We are not heroes and do not look for trouble and will turn back if the going gets too tough. However over the years we have been caught out a few times, its almost inevitable.

I have a few rules which have stood me in good stead.
    • We have a sat phone and always take the phone number of possible help in very isolated areas as we pass. For instance the phone no of the entrance gate of an isolated game park, the police station you pass or the numbers of fellow travelers in the area. It is not much use phoning your family and friends far away back home, but obviously use these as a last resort.
    • My wife can drive in awkward situations should something disable me. I try to make sure she regularly takes the wheel through difficult terrain.
    • We always make sure those left at home understand and have a copy of our itinerary.
    • Nurse your vehicle through difficult terrain.
    • Always leave as early as is safe so that you have a time cushion in case of delays. Driving difficult terrain in the dark or in a rush is a recipe for disaster.
    • Always walk not only deep water but any difficult terrain. If unsure turn back and look for another route.
    • Even on game drives load up all your recovery gear. I had reason to regret leaving a spade behind once. It had been used for the coals the night before.
    • I, like most others, am guilty of overloading and this has been a major factor in getting into difficulties.
    • I always carry 2 spare tyres when going remote, repair kit too of course.
    • Plan and research your route and be prepared for the terrain ahead.
    • Try to ensure the vehicle and comprehensive recovery kit are in excellent working condition.
    • Do a good 4x4 driving and recovery course and understand the capabilities and limitations of your vehicle.
    • In East Africa I have learnt the value of the Swahili "pole, pole", slowly, slowly.
    • Medical kit; mainly we all over-cater here but few will carry a kit as comprehensive as mine. As a Dr. I feel a sort of obligation and it has only been used on others.
    • Timing, this is important to stay out of trouble, avoid visiting areas when adverse driving conditions are likely. Or bail out if you are uncomfortable with the conditions you encounter.
    • Look after your vehicle as best you can, good maintenance, careful slow driving and avoidance of complex modifications.
    • Locals will usually go to extremes to help you if you demonstrate the right attitude towards them.
    • Travelling with another vehicle or two is obviously optimal.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

A great list and very useful, if I might be so bold to add re:

Fan belts, fit the new ones and keep the old ones, not the other way around. First a new belt is unlikely to break and secondly you know they will fit, no good finding out you were given the wrong size when stranded somewhere.

Hi lift jack, keep the mechanism MEGA CLEAN and lubed, wrap well to stop dust and mud contamination, looks great hanging off the rear but no good if it is clogged and not working safely.

Pofadder, What the hell is one of these?

Electrical, I would add terminals and crimping tool, and a gas (lighter fuel) soldering iron, also great for starting fires when tinder is damp, WD40, mainly for drying out petrol engine electrics.

ICE, If you know how you can winch backwards but the ‘anchors’ may need to be created? If there is a tree behind you then a 5 ft (not 4ft) hi lift jack makes a great winch.

Other thoughts:

When entering water, if you have electric windows wind them down BEFORE entering or open the sun roof.

I have an emergency ‘grab’ rucksack, it has a small first aid kit, some small flasks, one for keeping insulin cool and others for hot/cold drinks. Snack bars, a couple of packets of ‘cupasoup’s’, metal cup, waterproof bag with a spare mobile phone and battery/lighter and fire stick/whistle/torch/spare batteries/string/5 x4 plastic sheet/multi tool (knife/can opener etc.). A couple of disposable ponchos which are smaller than a packet of cigarettes before opening (there’s a clue there), change of clothes including a jacket. Laminated check list kept in one of the pockets of the rucksack so it can be referred to. Just a note on the phone here, both my phone’s have the ability to swap batteries when away from a charging source, many modern phones do NOT have the ability to swap batteries. I did have a small water purifier but it soon became obvious there was rarely any water in the areas I go to anyway, go with multiple small flasks.

Yes I may come over as a Ray Mears wannabe but this rucksack is checked before every trip, in an emergency where I have to leave the car, I can quickly grab the rucksack and know I am pretty much set for at least a couple of days.

Regards

Dave
    Remember as an individual you are unique.......................just like everyone else

Landcruiser HDJ80, UK spec (triple lockers ect)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Everybody seems concerned about mechanical things.

If you want real poo, break a leg, cut an artery, get bitten by a bad snake or spider, half eaten by a predator, get a tropical disease, burst stomach ulcer, stroke, pneumonia, infected hemorrhoids,,,,,,,,,

When you are 2 days drive from civilization and have no comms.

Oh you are real bundle of fun, and people ask why I travel alone! 8>)

regards

Dave
    Last edited by Dave 2000; 2015/09/28 at 05:08 PM.
    Remember as an individual you are unique.......................just like everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by LHFPathy View Post
    I would add one more suggestion:

Make sure that, if you and SWAMBO do it alone, that she has the skill (off-road driving) to get you out of a remote area where ever you got in should you not be able to drive.

The Nissan Off-Road club do outings for the better halves where they get to drive a trail for the day to give them exposure to off-road situation exactly for the above reason.
    I remember a film where the hubby driver was injured and unconscious, she did not know where the anti theft device was and he had not shown her!!

regards

Dave
    Last edited by Dave 2000; 2015/09/28 at 05:59 PM.

Just one more thing to add to generally good advice.
    DON"T FORGET ABOUT MALARIA.
    I am just recovering , and I consider myself very lucky.
    I got caught in a place ( Victoria Seychelles) where Coartem was not available.
    I am a Medical Practitioner, and I now know a lot about this disease.
    The Nobel Prize for Medicine went this week to the Chinese Lady who brought Coartem to the world.
    Time can be a life saver.
    Carry the Drug with you, and use it under Medical Supervision.
    The only overlander I know who died, would still be with us

Coartem is indeed important to carry and what Bushdreamer says is correct.

However...

The most important measure is prevention and this involves both the general measures to avoid mosquito bites (long sleeves and trousers in the evenings, insect repellants and sprays etc.) and then most importantly, being diligent in taking one of the 3 effective malaria prophylactics.

If in doubt seek expert medical advise. It only takes 1 infected mosquito bite and your life or future health could be in danger.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I would say that apart from duct tape, tie-wraps are your best friends as well?
    I don't leave without them, also the earlier mentioned d40 is a piece of magic in that respect ;-)

Default Single Vehicle Travel?

I have bush camped and traveled in Africa for more than 40 years now. Some trips alone, others with friends. We believe that we are infallible which is great and boosts confidence, but in fact we are naive to practically believe that nothing can go wrong. If you are stuck in say Etosha, you need nothing, someone will find and assist you. If however you go into serious places where malaria, possibility of crime etc is present, this poses new threats to your Risk Assessment. Our vehicles are the best we have and yes we believe in them, but they are generally technologically advanced beyond our own repair capabilities and should we have major mechanical failure, it does not matter what you drive, you will not proceed.
    On the eastern side between N Luanga and S Luanga a Sat phone will work, but who are you going to contact that will come and rescue you? T4A does not even indicate some routes in this area and yes I know as I have been there with one other reliable vehicle.
    Have you ever seen someone with Malaria? It is not a pretty sight and you will not drive your vehicle. Coartem is necessary and takes 5 days to get over the worst.
    Crime, look at Ihaha and Luderitz earlier this year and add this into your risk assessment profile.
    My advice is that you do as you wish within the bounds of your capability and the belief in your vehicle. Some 4x4 vehicles are only suited to the pavements of Sandton and are not designed for the rough of Africa.
    Remember, there is NO MEDICATION for irresponsibility or stupidity, but the choice is entirely yours.
    Enjoy Africa and its challenges responsibly.
    Alan Exton - ZS6EXT
    Alan Exton
    ZS6E
    LandCruiser 100 Series VX 4.2 Diesel

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan Exton For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Stuck in no man's land-what to have and what to do.

Keep your water and medical extras in your vehicle and not in the camp. You might get stuck on a game drive. My 2 cents

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jondu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Ag nee jislaaik Tony.
    Moet mens nou vir 24h warm bier drink terwyl jy wag vir 'n ander ou se hulp.
    Die lewe is wreed genoeg, man.

lol!..agreed!

I missed this thread!

But yes, I agree with the OP.

We mostly travel solo. To very very deserted places where an absolute requirement is NO cell phone signal. I do not even consider a satellite phone...

1. Water water water. Without water neither your nor your car goes anywhere. (Oils as important.)

2. You need pretty much all spares you can, bar getting yourself out of a hole in the block. You need a WELL maintained vehicle and one that you can repair.

3. And food for at least 5 days.

I can say with honesty: We have travelled to some very remote places with very old cars. And they did break down. Not once. Often a few times a holiday. I could get us back home safely.

I do not regret a single spare or tool I took with that never had a use till date.

Travelling to a remote place with a new car that I do not know any of the troubles it may have, makes me quite nervous.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I thought that was the whole point of 4x4'ing and overlanding. Just because no one else has been there doesn't make it reckless or dangerous.

Todd
    D4 V8 HSE
    Metalian Midi
    To quote a famous four wheel legend in Australia, if something goes wrong what is the first thing you do.
    Just boil the billy and have cuppa tea, then fix the prblem.
    The moral of the story Rule 1 make sure you have tea bags packed for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by redondo1955 View Post
    To quote a famous four wheel legend in Australia, if something goes wrong what is the first thing you do.
    Just boil the billy and have cuppa tea, then fix the prblem.
    The moral of the story Rule 1 make sure you have tea bags packed for the trip.
    Indeed, first thing we do if we come to a river in flood in an arid area (Damaraland, Kaokoveld etc) and we know there is no way around, is set up a day camp and put the kettle on to boil. Couple of cups of tea and the river will start dropping, it's a known law of desert physics!
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2016/09/08 at 04:24 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Always prefer to go with someone - even if they're annoying

Did a section of Khwai alone once and got stuck on one of the bridges. Apparently it's known for 'having a gravity vortex to the right if you're travelling south' wrote one guy

I wrote a story about it for Getaway magazine > http://www.getaway.co.za/activities/...-land-cruiser/

Anyone been over the bridge in that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Indeed, first thing we do if we come to a river in flood in an arid area (Damaraland, Kaokoveld etc) and we know there is no way around, is set up a day camp and put the kettle on to boil. Couple of cups of tea and the river will start dropping, it's a known law of desert physics!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    I do not understand why people would go alone into some god forsaken places, is this not the first rule, to not do it alone?

There is no 100% certainty that you can get through. One might be 100% certain but only a fool is 100% certain?
    For 17 years my wife and I crisscrossed Africa alone in, mostly, a SIII Landy, a SFA Hilux DC, prior to that an Isuzu 4x4, and subsequently a LR 110 TDi. This was prior to satellite phones and even cellphones and only in later years did we have GPS. We worked off 1:50,000 topographical maps and spent months at a time without any contact with the outside world, for example tracking desert elephants and rhino in the Kaokoveld (long before T4A or even the Shell Map series).

Occasionally we'd get somewhere like Kamanjab or Sesfontein and find a tickeybox and try to make a long distance call to SWAMBO's mom, and invariably would get the maid with "Eh...Gogo has gone to town..." so we'd leave a message we'd called, and will try again in a month or two!

We knew we had to be self-contained and totally self-reliant but that was our lifestyle. (How my FIL or MIL put up with it I have no idea!)

I carried comprehensive spares but probably the most unreliable of all the cars was the newest, the LR TDi. That old SIII was a gem though.

Worst day for repairs? 17 punctures (sicklebush/Chinese lantern) in a remote area of Savuti, with a water pump replacement somewhere in the middle of them too! Yes, I carried a spare. Also spare alternator, clutch plate and release bearing, hoses, bearings, shocks, belts etc. All in a spare steel ammo Box permanently on the roof.

We had both rear shocks break in Damaraland on the TDi, and the coils jump off their seats, front UJ go, also on the TDi (2wd for the rest of the trip), 2nd gear go on the Isuzu somewhere in Malawi on our way to Kenya in 1994, and sundry other issues! (Ran my gearbox on a bunch of green bananas after losing all the oil in Botswana once!)

Were we irresponsible? Probably...but we were young and had no alternative. That was our chosen lifestyle, we did it, and we survived. Would we do it again? Certainly, though most of those areas are much tamer today and it's hard not to see another vehicle every day, if not every few hours!

Nowadays it appears every "adventurer" needs backups, failsafes, recovery plans, and "what if" insurance.

That's just not an adventure anymore!
    Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DarylB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TysonJopson View Post
    Always prefer to go with someone - even if they're annoying

Did a section of Khwai alone once and got stuck on one of the bridges. Apparently it's known for 'having a gravity vortex to the right if you're travelling south' wrote one guy

I wrote a story about it for Getaway magazine > http://www.getaway.co.za/activities/...-land-cruiser/

Anyone been over the bridge in that picture?
    Great story, made me laugh
    But I have to conclude it must have been your own fault.
    After all, you gave the car a girl's name, and every guy knows the rear end of a girl will grow wider in time...
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Ok. I have read the gist and everything in here. Dunno if I am ok to put this in here. You get stuck in no mans land due to dirty diesel what now? How do you counteract getting dirty diesel in the first place? How much diesel can you take with you on an overlanding trip? If there are places to find this out please tell me. Going to Namibia July 2018. Biggest worry is diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by robzero View Post
    Ok. I have read the gist and everything in here. Dunno if I am ok to put this in here. You get stuck in no mans land due to dirty diesel what now? How do you counteract getting dirty diesel in the first place? How much diesel can you take with you on an overlanding trip? If there are places to find this out please tell me. Going to Namibia July 2018. Biggest worry is diesel.
    Stop worrying! Namibia is not the middle of nowhere, there are thousands of local diesel vehicles driving everywhere every day. The fuel at the fuel stations is just as clean as SA.

Now you have nothing more to worry about for the next 12 months

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast