Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    [I]Has anyone else done a weigh-in?
    Fully loaded for a 3 week trip, including 300 litres of fuel : 1180kg on front axle and 1600kg on rear axle.

Permissible loads : 1220 on front and 1830 on rear axle.

Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    We love solo travel and are solo 99% of the time

I agree with Tony about the water crossings. Will drive quite a detour to avoid a serious one as well as mud.

Don't agree with the fridge. It goes along. It is the only luxury.
    My (late) wife and I travelled 930 000km in 22˝years - mostly solo. Now I drive alone

I also try to avoid deep water and mud when alone, but had water on top of the old 300Tdi Defender's bonnet on numerous occasions when not alone. With all my winch extension straps, etc, I can reach ±100m.

No fridge I have 3 in the Defender

Johan 8)
    Last edited by J Snyman; 2015/09/20 at 06:03 PM.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    My (late) wife and I travelled 930 000km in 22˝years - mostly solo. Now I drive alone

I also try to avoid deep water and mud when alone, but had water on top of the old 300Tdi Defender's bonnet on numerous occasions when not alone. With all my winch extension straps, etc, I can reach ±100m.

No fridge I have 3 in the Defender

Johan 8)
    That is why you could drive so much and get out! I srill like winches and plenty ropes
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction:Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting,]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation,Steel Fabrication. You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    Angel solar :PV systems, rain water harvesting
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

I'm another solo traveller and on the medical emergency list, I want to add that doing a pretty comprehensive first aid course can be very valuable. Carrying a good medical kit and a basic range of drugs also help. Even if it is stuff you cannot use yourself, you might find someone who can, or you can get someone to explain over the satphone what to do.

I agree. The only reason I do not want to add to much is that I know too little.

I do believe in a much more than basic kit. For me its the usual drugs for at home. My list is stuff that work for me. Having to contend with a small stomach ulcer my range of meds has severely changed.

My blood pressure and sugar meter are becoming one of my priority kits.

I suggest to visit your doctor and get a whole list of stuff. Then again with the help of your sat phone you can phone a Doc.

I have done snake handling but do realise a snake bite can make my trip a misery.
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction:Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting,]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation,Steel Fabrication. You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    I do believe in a much more than basic kit.
    Yes, I carry a very comprehensive medical kit, including antibiotics for soft skin infections and tooth ulcers, and stomach bugs like e-coli/giardia. Also several pairs of surgical gloves because more often than not, you are using your medical kit to care for others in remote areas (and they are useful for waterproofing distributors for water crossings). Several burn dressings, ice bags, Jiffy wrap for wrapping burns, plus all the usual first aid stuff.

Proper planning
    Sat. phone, sat.phone, sat phone and don't go to remote areas alone.
    Overloading? I'm probably as guilty as the majority.
    Just returned from our Gonarezhou trip with Bushnomad, Rollerball and Lesmarch, trip report in due course.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the telephone.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2

Excellent tips. Thanks Engel.
    Life's too short to drive boring...
    -------------------------------------
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (iNyathi)
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Pepper)
    1994 Pajero 3.0 V6 (Ruby)

Smile

If you are going to do a long trip to neighboring countries into remote areas. do not do it alone. I recently did a trip to N Zambia up to Lake Tanganyika, Malawi and Mozambique with one other vehicle. Trips like this should not be undertaken on your own. Asses the risk of malaria, medical emergencies, breakdowns and any other issues at hand and take the right decision.
    Communication with the outside world is critical and a Sat-phone is highly recommended although seldom used as the cellular networks in Africa are generally good.
    Alan Exton
    ZS6EXT
    Alan Exton
    ZS6E
    LandCruiser 100 Series VX 4.2 Diesel
    Isuzu Mux 4x4

I would add one more suggestion:

Make sure that, if you and SWAMBO do it alone, that she has the skill (off-road driving) to get you out of a remote area where ever you got in should you not be able to drive.

The Nissan Off-Road club do outings for the better halves where they get to drive a trail for the day to give them exposure to off-road situation exactly for the above reason.
    Lourens Fourie.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder DCi 4x4 - "Die Brahman Bul"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    What is that? Please post a pic. As explanation?
    Please no?

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    Should one perhaps weigh the vehicle before going on a trip? I remember reading somewhere that most overlanding vehicles are overloaded. To the point of being unsafe, if memory serves me right?

Has anyone else done a weigh-in? I am curiousto know Tony Weaver's score.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=180780

Tuff stuff also did a weigh in exercise with their clients. Shocks you how quick it adds up especially with the SUV type 4x4
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

OK
    I can understand that (some) people prefer to travel solo. They trust their truck's reliability, their equipment is up to scratch and they enjoy the solitary loneliness.

Me too, and I can do it also without a worry of mechanical breakdown or getting stuck (as we own a Satphone )

BUT

That satphone will mean absolutely nothing to me when we get attacked, robbed and butchered in our beautiful Africa.
    So many examples already known. Not even required to copy names here

The MOST important reason we NEVER travel solo
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

With solo travel and to sum it for myself. A winch, plenty of emergency provisions, a reliable gps, not being a hero and communication seem to be the number one requirements.

We prefer to travel alone unless in a paid for group. Mostly because our friends never have enough money to join and end up sponging off us.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post

The MOST important reason we NEVER travel solo
    Better not to

Quote Originally Posted by qoda View Post
    With solo travel and to sum it for myself. A winch, plenty of emergency provisions, a reliable gps, not being a hero and communication seem to be the number one requirements.

We prefer to travel alone unless in a paid for group. Mostly because our friends never have enough money to join and end up sponging off us.
    .........friends do not sponge of friends.......
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Better not to

.........friends do not sponge of friends.......
    Hahaha. This is true.

Default Stuck in no mans land

Something else that has become a big reality is the safety situation in far-of places. If you take any overland vehicle it has got an unthinkable treasure on board for the guys living off the land, and they know the chance of you having a gun is zero . To do solo trips in such areas has got a lot more danger of being attacked than doing it in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger3006 View Post
    Something else that has become a big reality is the safety situation in far-of places. If you take any overland vehicle it has got an unthinkable treasure on board for the guys living off the land, and they know the chance of you having a gun is zero . To do solo trips in such areas has got a lot more danger of being attacked than doing it in a group.

These attacks are not normally made by individuals. So, if a group of them, wielding knives, guns, etc etc attacks you at a campsite, a place you have to stop to open a gate, a picnic place where you stop for lunch, etc, you will only have a chance if you are a large group of people. Having a gun with you only provides a false sense of security, as the chances of having it immediately on hand whilst on holiday is very slim indeed.

As a person who regularly travels on my own, I believe it is something to be aware of, and not something to be paranoid about.

How safe are you at home and the city you live in ?

Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4

Smile

Trips into Africa are not necessarily classed as Outings through a club. These are trips undertaken in order to explore and experience other distant places to fulfill the needs of your inquiring mind. These trips require the risk, i.e. all the risks to be thoroughly assessed such that a prior plan can be put in place. If this risk is low and you are capable and confident with a reliable vehicle, then yes, you can may be in a position to go alone. If the risk is high, stay at home or strengthen your adventure which may include that you have a friend with similar interests to accompany you. Choose these travel companions carefully and remember that tolerance is of utmost importance to the success of your adventure.
    I traveled in northern Zambia between N Luanga and S Luanga on the eastern side of Zambia in the dry season. Equipped with a 276C and a Montana with T4A and Gar-map showed no roads or tracks. This is when you rely on information from the local community as to where the tracks may go to. Traveled through thick bush on small tracks full of Hippo holes and plot these tracks for future use and reference. eventually got back onto known tracks indicated on T4A. My recorded track log was then e-mailed to T4A which was included in the next version. This is how it works. This area was also possibly the roughest, most beautiful and wildest of areas traveled in over 40 years. On this trip a very capable friend accompanied us for which I have no regrets.
    To just be adventurous without applying your mind can be detrimental in many ways.
    Remember, If you don't know where you are going, you may end up somewhere else.
    Alan Exton
    ZS6EXT
    Alan Exton
    ZS6E
    LandCruiser 100 Series VX 4.2 Diesel
    Isuzu Mux 4x4

Two golden rules of overlanding for me:

1. KISS
    2. Smile and wave
    Last edited by RobH; 2015/09/23 at 07:01 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast