Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Pajero Gen4 Dash Shake & Rattles fix

This thread serves as a reference: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=119236

So I decided to start a new thread as we have hijacked the above thread for too long now. Mr.G and I are able to fix a range of rattles and the dash shake in about 90min per car. This is not a money making exercise, it is our way of making the Gen4 a better vehicle for those that like to venture onto bad roads.

So what does it entail? Well this is typically what we would do:
    1. Install a set of steel brackets into the centre console. We remove the radio and aircon controls plus the two centre vents. We then drill a small hole into the casing that surrounds the radio and into the top steel "floating" brackets that attach to the top of the dash. We then bolt the brackets down with three bolts to make the whole centre section secure. This fix removes the up and down shaking experienced on rough roads.
    2. Remove the cubby hole and the speedo and install a set of cable ties on either side into the dash to reduce the movement of the plastic near the windscreen. This reduces the rattles in the dash considerably.
    3. Make sure the cubby lid does not rattle, we install some foam strips in strategic spots.
    4. Attend to the rear side windows so that they don't rattle on very corrugated roads.
    5. Install rubber piping onto the rear door panels to prevent then rattling onto the rear glass.
    6. Generally attend to other rattles that may be a problem if we are able to find the cause.
    Mr.G (John) is in Bloemfontein and I am in Johannesburg. To date we have done over 20 cars with positive feedback from everyone. Send us a PM if you are interested, it really is worthwhile.

PS - we prefer not to work on vehicles that are under warranty for obvious reasons
    Last edited by KurtG; 2019/07/20 at 07:55 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

I'd still love to arrange a Cape Town session It doesn't seem like there are too many interested people though
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'd still love to arrange a Cape Town session It doesn't seem like there are too many interested people though

There are three possibles on the Pajero club thread. Go look and join the group, John is keen to go to CT

I am also still keen - will go check out the named thread, but mine is still under 100K

BTW, I just replaced the CASKA with an aftermarket system, so some stuff had to come out anyway ...
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    There are three possibles on the Pajero club thread. Go look and join the group, John is keen to go to CT
    Cool. I'm on the list...

The thread is here: http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/vi...hp?f=26&t=6596
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS

I have posted on the Pajero club site as well, also keen to have mine done. It is 2015 LWB and the dash shake on corrugations is ridiculous.
    Malcolm

Hi Kurt
    I'm picking up my gen4 this coming week. 2008 model. Will check it out and then visit you. Thanks for your efforts
    Johan Groenewald
    Oldish Wheeler
    With more reasons to sing than to fear

Polo Pickup V6
    Metalian Maxi
    And a couple of quick Subarus

I am in George and regularly travel to Cape Town. Interested as well. Or if one of you guys are coming to the Southern Cape over December or so we can maybe have a session here in George or somewhere. I am sure some other Southern Capers might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    Hi Kurt
    I'm picking up my gen4 this coming week. 2008 model. Will check it out and then visit you. Thanks for your efforts

I'm sensing de ja vu.... I went from a 2006 Forester 2.5XS to a 2008 Gen4 😁. Please, come over when you get it, I'm away next weekend but free the following Saturday.

I'm sensing de ja vu.... I went from a 2006 Forester 2.5XS to a 2008 Gen4 😁. Please, come over when you get it, I'm away next weekend but free the following Saturday.
    Haha. Only thing is I'm keeping the scooby, way too much fun driving. Getting a silver gls lwb
    Also away next weekend, have to test the combination.
    Johan Groenewald
    Oldish Wheeler
    With more reasons to sing than to fear

Polo Pickup V6
    Metalian Maxi
    And a couple of quick Subarus

Quote Originally Posted by malana View Post
    I am in George and regularly travel to Cape Town. Interested as well. Or if one of you guys are coming to the Southern Cape over December or so we can maybe have a session here in George or somewhere. I am sure some other Southern Capers might be interested.
    Also in George and following this thread, I'm sure there will be more people in the SC that would like these mods to be done.
    Last edited by JacoK; 2015/09/23 at 01:14 PM.
    Fortuner D4D
    Africa Twin Adventure Sports (DCT)

Tomorrow 2 Pajero owners will be receiving the "Mr.G" treatment to their cars, will report back on Monday what they say. John is visiting but he will only be there in the afternoon for quality assurance purposes, this pleb will be doing the installs

Need to come make sure you still working according to standard...:-)Also,i did it so long ago i might aswell get a refresher coarse from you while im there

Feedback from one of the guys is very positive so far, he says it has made a huge difference to the dash. No more shaking over rough rumble strips or gravel.

Another two shorty's done today. A 2008 and a 2011, received positive comments from one guy already just going over speed bumps. Will report back when he has returned to his farm in the Waterberg later today.

Okay all you Slaapstad dwellers. We have two spots open for a complete dash and cable tie fix that is taking place in Milnerton on 5 Dec. Mr.G and I are flying down to CT and we have 10 cars lined up already. We can squeeze in 12 max. So who is in? The cost is R1200 each and first come first served. PM me for details.

Okay all you Slaapstad dwellers. We have two spots open for a complete dash and cable tie fix that is taking place in Milnerton on 5 Dec. Mr.G and I are flying down to CT and we have 10 cars lined up already. We can squeeze in 12 max. So who is in? The cost is R1200 each and first come first served. PM me for details.
    Saw this some time ago, would most dearly love to come come join in but unfortunately have that weekend booked at Sanddrif in the Cederberg with my daughter who only comes visiting once every year from overseas That's life!

Even just for the sake of networking with other Gen4 owners down here, it is worth it!!

So, please start thinking about another visit, maybe luck will then be on my side ...
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
    Saw this some time ago, would most dearly love to come come join in but unfortunately have that weekend booked at Sanddrif in the Cederberg with my daughter who only comes visiting once every year from overseas That's life!

Even just for the sake of networking with other Gen4 owners down here, it is worth it!!

So, please start thinking about another visit, maybe luck will then be on my side ...

A real pity but you are blessed to have your daughter with you, until the next time

Another 2008 LWB has had the surgery. I also fixed his passenger side door grab handle as something went wrong and it wasn't lined up properly.

As for the brackets. What I saw made me cringe. It seems that Mitsu (I assume) installed what they call a bracket.... What they effectively did was pop rivet a piece of aluminium flat bar from one side of a single piece of plastic casing to itself.... Basically doing ef all to stop any movement. I cant believe it, what an idiotic thing to do. The picture says it all

Amazing(ly), stupid
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    2020 Pajero 3.2L DiD Exceed
    Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast