How do I keep my wife warm? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Andthe polyfleece blankets! They work!!!

And buy a 12v electric blanket.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Rented bakkies often have the NL dual battery system as standard.
    What you do not know up front (unfortunately) is the condition of that deep cycle battery that is on board.

A bad battery will also seriously affect the usefulness of the on board fridge.

As Danie suggests, take the warm water bottle along (as a backup).
    Ok thanks Eggie did not realise that but makes sense.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Polarfleece blankets. Cheap, light, super warm. Buy several from Cape Union Mart or Woolworths, one underneath, one wrapped around, one on top. Sitting around the campfire, use them as knee rugs.
    +1, these blankets are excellent

Travelling in Africa can often be very tough but is always extremely rewarding.

Buy her a diamond ring!

Last time I slept in Botswana in July I woke up with icicles hanging from the roof each morning. Nothing will keep you warm through that. I wore all the clothes I had most days

Beer helps though. Keep you warm from the inside

Hi Manne drink net Captin Morgan en dan slaap die Vrou lekker warm saam jou.

Hou net jou kop warm. En haar voete.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Buy her a diamond ring!
    Yes it helps, but the blanket is sooo much cheaper, and you can share it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermine View Post
    Last time I slept in Botswana in July I woke up with icicles hanging from the roof each morning. Nothing will keep you warm through that. I wore all the clothes I had most days

Beer helps though. Keep you warm from the inside
    Experienced the same in July in 2 Rivieren and again in Mabua.

That is when you REALLY appreciate the electric blanket.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Hou net jou kop warm. En haar voete.
    Stadig nou, dis 'n familieforum hierdie.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

A good sleeping mat makes a huge difference. Avoid the blow up types because they tend to puncture easily! Carma Quip make an awesome one - we have them and they are very comfortable (even though a bit bulkier than the First Ascent Dream Deluxe) and don't deflate if they are punctured. If you do order, just do it with enough lead time as they produce to order.

Don't under estimate hot water bottles with decent duvet......worked a charm in Namibia this July on nights we didn't have electricity for electric blanket. Was completely against the idea of water bottles but had to eat crow when I was proven wrong!
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Thank you for all the replies, very helpful indeed, except for the diamond ring suggestion. If I bought her one, we simply couldn't afford to go

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    The OP will be in a rented bakkie - don't know if it has an inverter? The polar fleece/sleeping bag suggestions might work better for them? Duvet probably also out seeing they they're from Denmark? JayRon?
    I am leaning towards the polarfleece solution(actually I already have bought 4 on the internet). We also have some decent sleeping bags, but I think I will upgrade my wifes. Maybe down to -10 degrees.

I have never rented a car with an inverter, but the Electric blanket could just give the wife the Extra comfort she needs
    I am just a little nervous that the Electric blanket would run the battery low, but it seems that shouldn't be a problem or?

Quote Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
    Don't under estimate hot water bottles with decent duvet......worked a charm in Namibia this July on nights we didn't have electricity for electric blanket. Was completely against the idea of water bottles but had to eat crow when I was proven wrong!
    That seems to be an easy solution, but if it works it would be great. Since I am from Denmark I have no idea, but where do you buy the water bottles?

If possible, electric blanket! Why suffer? 8)

In regards to the hot water bottle:
    Don't go and buy one! Total waste of money! 8)
    Rather take an empty 2l coke bottle. Warm up the water but don't let it boil!
    Fill the warm water into the coke bottle and wrap it in a blanket or similar.
    Boiling water most likely will melt the plastic bottle, therefore: warm it up nicely but don't boil!
    Hot water bottle: done!
    The biggest advantage: the next morning you will have water which is at about body temperature and it will be much quicker to bring it to the boil for that coffee. 'Traditional' hot water bottles you will be not able to use for it since they leave a terrible after taste, the coke bottle doesn't. Tried and tested!

Beside that: that fleecy stuff as mentioned and some good blankets. Oh, and a beanie will work!
    2002 - Defender 110, TD5
    2016 - Duster

Quote Originally Posted by JayRon View Post
    I am just a little nervous that the Electric blanket would run the battery low, but it seems that shouldn't be a problem or?
    Since your rental will have most likely a dual battery system, the e-blanket should run from the 2nd battery, not the starter battery! By doing so you will be able to start the van in the morning even if the 2nd battery should be flat.
    If the battery is in a good condition, it shouldn't run the battery flat if you run it on the lowest setting.
    2002 - Defender 110, TD5
    2016 - Duster

Thank you for all the replies, very helpful indeed, except for the diamond ring suggestion. If I bought her one, we simply couldn't afford to go

I am leaning towards the polarfleece solution(actually I already have bought 4 on the internet). We also have some decent sleeping bags, but I think I will upgrade my wifes. Maybe down to -10 degrees.

I have never rented a car with an inverter, but the Electric blanket could just give the wife the Extra comfort she needs
    Inverters are not expensive, a small one costs less than R800. Try Bushpower for pricing and they deliver. http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pc=3 . Put a Hella plug, or crocodile clamps on it, Bob's your auntie.

As for hot water bottles, go analogue. Put a 1/2 decent sized rock close to the fire for the evening, then (carefully) wrap it in newspaper and a bit of fleece, pop that in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Obviously it mustn't be too bulky. I actually took 4 of the special bricks they use to make braai's with me to the CKGR. Ended up I didn't need them but they're amazingly effective.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2015/09/15 at 09:04 PM.

That seems to be an easy solution, but if it works it would be great. Since I am from Denmark I have no idea, but where do you buy the water bottles?
    You can buy them from stores in South Africa (Woolworths, Clicks, PicknPay, Mr Price DisChem and most pharmacies) and should be able to find in stores in Namibia in larger towns.

They aren't the solution but rather part of the solution and worked much better than I'd have imagined, we also had electric blanket for when we had electricity, extra blankets (for bed and around fireplace on really cold nights), sleeping bags (which we never used) and warm jackets/clothing.
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Well, I know there is a pretty simple answer to that question :
    Yes, the answer IS simple and VERY effective.

Good sleeping bag will help, but a hot water bottle is a very cost effective way of heating.

DONT go and buy a normal hot water bottle.

Get yourself a gas stove that can work from a decent size gas bottle together with a camp stove like this one.

then make sure you take a couple of bottles of pre-filled cooldrink bottles full of water with. A small funnel might be a good idea as the hot water might disform the mouth of the bottle and cause leaks.

Then all you do right before you get into bed is warm the water in a kettle on the gas stove. Pour the water (DONT LET IT BOIL --- It will shrink the bottle when you pour in the water) into the bottle to the top and close the lid.

Place in sleeping bag and I promise you it will stay nice and warm till early morning. Obviously the later in the evening you go to bed and prepare the bottles, the longer they will last till break of dawn.
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

Default Myne kook gewoonlik

How do I keep my wife warm?

Weet nie of dit sal help nie maar myne kook gewoonlik as ek net noem ek moet nog parte gaan koop vir my Pajero
    Last edited by Mitsu Bushy; 2015/09/16 at 04:28 AM.
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

Lol!!!!!!!!!
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast