3.8 2dr JK Mods for Aug 2016 Richtersveld/Namibia trip

Default 3.8 2dr JK Mods for Aug 2016 Richtersveld/Namibia trip

Hi everyone

So this is the beginning of a thread that I hope will run through the entire duration of the trip.

A few mates and I are planning a nice trip to the richtersveld and Namibia in August 2016. The route has not been finalized but I will post an update on that as soon as I have it.

So looking at it, these are the topics I need to cover in preparation for the trip.
    Route
    Convoy
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Navigation
    Accommodation

Let me start at the top.

Route
    As mentioned above, the route hasn't been finalized because there are some of us that will be camping and some that will be staying in accommodation.
    We are looking at a timeline of around 2-3 weeks.

Convoy
    At this stage we are around 4 vehicles. I think I am the only one on the forum so I will fly the flag high😁
    Current vehicles are a Mitshibishi Pajero SWB, Mitshibishi Pajero LWB, Isuzu Trooper and our 2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 Sahara.

Vehicle
    We will be using our 2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8. The reason a 2dr? We have the car, we are going to keep it as it is almost paid for and we love it. It has been nothing but reliable except when the dealers stuffed it up..... Idiots.....

Mods
    So our jk has done 98000 Km all over the country in pretty much stock form. The only changes are a Mopar steel front bumper, advanced 4x4 rear bumper with factory harness and a few factory extras.
    Our vehicle needs to be durable, practical and comfortable. The most important thing however is that the vehicle must be easy to live with in my or SWAMBO's hands.
    With that in mind I will be doing the following mods:

Suspension, the most important - so I have done quite a bit of research here and based on the loads we are carrying, sustainability, reliability blah blah blah., I have decided to go for the AEV 2.5" kit with the Bilstein shocks. Supplier = Zone Off-road

Front Bumper - Replace front bumper with matching advanced 4x4 solutions product, supplier =Zone Off-road

Roof Rack - will be going with the front runner product because of the great engineering/design, weight and support. The reason for the rack is additional space on the vehicle. Supplier = Front Runner

Tyres - I am going to keep the stock rims and fit slightly wider Tyres. At this stage the options are either BF Goodridge AT's or Cooper Discovery AT3's. I am leaning toward the discoveries because of the road noise and usaging on an every day basis.

Lighting
    Headlights - I will be going for the LED headlight replacement globes. It is a great cheapish solution to the bad standard lighting on the jk. I like HID's but not the price.....
    Spot lights vs. light bar - not sure what to do here. I am thinking of mounting the spots or bar on the front bumper. Maybe someone can shed some light on the differences..... Eish..... I don't want one on the roof as the vehicle is white so bonnet reflection might be an issue and I want the light hooked up to the high beams. Supplier = possibly extreme lights, otherwise unknown
    Working light - I am going to add a working light to the side of the car on the roof rack. Supplier = Extreme lights

Navigation - the route is getting plotted using Tracks for Africa. I will be using the tracks for Africa app on my iPad with an external GPS antenna for accuracy. Just need to find a suitable mount for the iPad. Don't want to bolt into the dash.

Accommodation - some of the group will be sleeping in chalets etc. for the entire trip. We are going to rent an Echo 3 from Kubu. Our plan is to spend a couple of nights at chalets but will be camping for the most part. It will be my wife, my 10 month old daughter and myself... Yes I know, it will be challenging but I am looking forward to the time away.

There are some questions about the trailer that I have but I will do more research on that.

This list will most likely change from based on various inputs from the knowledge base here but let's see what happens.

I am really excited about sharing everything on this adventure with you guys.

Let's see where the road takes us.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jacques Smith#113; 2015/09/06 at 06:57 PM.

For some reason, I can't upload multiple images from my iPad......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Jacques

Two comments.

You can do the entire trip without all the mods.

In my experiance, group trips do not work that well if some people are camping and others are stayings in chalets.

Quote Originally Posted by JacoBrits View Post
    Hi Jacques

Two comments.

You can do the entire trip without all the mods.

In my experiance, group trips do not work that well if some people are camping and others are stayings in chalets.
    Thanks for the comments Jaco

I agree that the trip can be done in stock form. I wouldn't do it in the vehicles current state as the stock shocks are really sh1t and on the way out. Let's just say that there is a lot of cabin movement. It's not a death wobble, it's the shocks.

So if anything, I will do the lift and shocks with the tyre combo.

Also yes, I agree. It's going to be difficult with some of the guys sleeping in chalets.

It also depends on how baby is doing at that time and if my mate is ready with his rig.

Either way, it will be a great trip.

Last time I was there I bumped into the same guy at a few different locations. He was driving a Tata 2WD bakkie. No frills complete with Marie biscuit tyres. Apart from the deep sand alongside the river in some places, there is not much challenging to speak of.
    That being said, there are some remote places in the park where you don't want to get stuck or break down. I'd say the most important thing is a satellite phone and shelve all the vehicle upgrades.

Todd
    D4 V8 HSE
    Metalian Midi
    Todd
    2020 Ford Everest Limited bi-turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Last time I was there I bumped into the same guy at a few different locations. He was driving a Tata 2WD bakkie. No frills complete with Marie biscuit tyres. Apart from the deep sand alongside the river in some places, there is not much challenging to speak of.
    That being said, there are some remote places in the park where you don't want to get stuck or break down. I'd say the most important thing is a satellite phone and shelve all the vehicle upgrades.

Todd
    D4 V8 HSE
    Metalian Midi
    A Metalian Midi would be nice too