Disco vs. Prado vs. (new) Everest

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Disco vs. Prado vs. (new) Everest

I am starting to investigate my options for a 7 seat SUV which I need to purchase by March 2016, due to a growing family!

My short-list is a per the thread name.
    I prefer diesel but would consider a petrol.
    I will probably keep the car for 5 years or so and do 20,000km per year.
    I don't do any hardcore off-roading with over-landing being the order of the day when it's not being used as a family vehicle.
    My budget is about R600-R650k which means a 2nd hand Disco 4 / Prado or a new Everest (assuming the as-yet to be announced prices are at Fortuner level).
    I must add that if the new Fortuner was going to be here in time for me, it would be my first pick as I like Toyota and like buying new if attainable.

I will say from the offset that I am not a great Ford fan so the Everest, as positive as the reviews are in Australia, is an outside pick for me. I worry about this vehicle experiencing issues as with the Ranger T6 on which it is based and I expect depreciation to be rather harsh. The upshot is I could buy this vehicle new.

The Disco 4 ticks all my boxes and I like them very much. My heart wants a D4 but I keep thinking about what is happening with the diesel D3's now that mileage on those has started to approach 200,000km. How, on average, will the D4's fare when they get to that mileage? I just don't know and not sure if I want to risk it. I could probably sneak a face lifted 2014 Disco 4 S with the 8 speed auto. Apart from the small screen, I can't fault this car from a specification perspective.

Already out in Aus, NZ and the UK, the Prado will locally soon be receiving a new 2.8 diesel and mildly revised 4.0 V6. This may drop the values of used examples which will be to my benefit. That said, I suspect I would go for the petrol Prado as the current D4D is no animal in terms of power etc. A used 2014/5 Prado would probably be the "head" purchase if I can live with the styling shortcomings (wood in interior in the VX etc).

So there it is, I would value your input. Please note that I would not consider a vehicle older than 3 years which rules out VX 200 Etc.

Prado
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Default Disco vs. Prado vs. (new) Everest

For R650k you can buy a brand new TX. I cant comment on the Disco because have not driven one but for R300k more than a Prado it is suppose to be a much better vehicle, but is it really? The Prado VX is a magnificent vehicle and I believe for the price tag of R760k it is good value for money. Off road you can't stop it, with crawl control terrain select and the Kdss suspension etc. On road it is very comfortable to drive and that 4.0 V6 is a gem. Bullet prove.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2015/09/06 at 02:56 PM.
    Francois

Yip, Prado would be the best option
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Prado
    Ross

We had a 4l prado for 5 years and the only issue we had was initially with leaning suspension but when that was sorted the vehicle was superb. As said before when using speed control the vehicle geared down to fast for my liking- that was the ONLY negative point. We bought a disco4 diesel about 9 months ago and if you drive the one after the other, the disco's ride quality and power is slightly better. I think the third row seats are more suitable to sit in than the prado's if this is a big factor. Having said that we used the prado's and kids have no problem sitting there. No problems except a few flat tyres with the disco as yet- it is swambo's car and she prefers the disco by a small margin. I think the disco 4will be more reliable than the 3- but I will not drive it without a warranty... Both awesome vehicles and you will not make a mistake either way.
    Last edited by bones; 2015/09/06 at 03:14 PM.
    Pieter

If i were you, I'd be on the look out for a second hand Disco 4 5.0 v8... U'll have peace of mind reliability of the petrol motor instead of the uncertainty what trouble the sdv6 in the long run. Power galore, refinement, space, looks... Just get use to expensive tyres because of size and fuel bill, which I heard isn't so bad as it revs quite low at your normal 120 k/ph...
    '12 Defender 130 2.2tdci '00 Defender 90 2.8i SOLD (ex wife gets the blame) '99 Defender 110 td5 csw SOLDNamboyz

Prado.
    Consider the Pajero as well perhaps. But of your options given definitely Prado for me.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Sorry , for me, between the Prado and a Disco4, it's a no brainer. Disco all the way. Just drive the two and that will be the decider. Can't comment on the Ford
    Cruiser 76 V8
    Disco 4 XS

Disco!
    Discovery 2 V8 XS
    Range Rover Sport SDV8

Disco for me as well, but with the V8 engine.

They tend to have lower book values than the diesels, so you can getter a newer / lower mileage one for the same money. Or put the money you save on a similiarly specced one, away for the extra fuel bills.

To be honest, you cannot compare a D4 to a Prado or the new Everest. It's in a class of it's own. Go drive the Prado and Disco back to back, and you will understand.

I assume the criteria is more inclusive than simply which car drives better. For me, if its about pure drive feel then sure, get the Disco. If I can take other important factors into account like price, reliability, parts availability and cost, fuel economy etc, then I would go for the Prado. IMO too many Disco fans make the point that "the Disco drives better so obviously the Disco is better". It is a good factor to consider and it is true, but it ain't a determining factor in my book.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Hi. To be perfectly honest I am also in the market looking at similar vehicles as you are, in my personal opinion the Prado seems the best value for money vehicle. The 3.0 Diesal VX I tested with my local Toyota showroom just seemed slow in every possible way, but comfort wise together with everything included in VX it is an amazing vehicle although the Disco Sport seems a very tempting option as well since am only 22, but I personally have made a 95% choice on the Prado.

Thanks for all the replies chaps, some really good info there. It seems to be a roughly even split between Disco and Prado. I have considered a late model V8 Disco 4 but there are not that many of them around with lower mileage. Their prices are also all over the place due to their being no trade/retail value on the V8's from 2011 onwards.

Default What about a jeep?

I would also look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee in that price range. I am very happy with mine

New Everest all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylinefreak View Post
    New Everest all the way.
    Would the engine issues that Ford have experienced on that 3.2 motor in the Ranger not worry you?

Actually, to be honest, my first choice in your situation would be a Nissan Pathfinder 3,0 V6 diesel. You'd be spending a whole lot less than for any of your choices and it's a good solid car with brilliant performance.

Thanks but I don't see it on Nissan's website. Is it out of production?

Yup Pathfinder was discontinued, time to look for a demo model.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast