Atlantis dunes ridiculous rules...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Atlantis dunes ridiculous rules...

I picked up my permit today to go to Atlantis on Saturday. I mentioned that we wanted to make breakfast there, but was told no open fires or gas. It has something to do with protecting the aquifer below. Really?

And then the no pets rule. Okey I understand that it is a protected area and that they might chase some sand creatures around, so I'll accept that one under some protest...

And the first rule? I'm not even going to waste my breath on that.

My question is, these are the City rules. What are the general accepted rules there amongst the regular Atlantis folks? We want to go there and enjoy the place in a responsible way without causing harm to the environment and fellow 4x4ers. But the above rules seem a bit draconian...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

Did you ask if you could take a few photos?
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

That "No Hunting" rule bothers me every time I see a Fortuner in the dunes.

The hunting is a serious thing
    , in 2006 i think, i was almost hit by a shot gun fired from two guys that wanted a buck. I was so shaken up that i left and just mentioned it to Hein on my way out.
    It was a white D/C bakkie with one guy on the back with the gun and his driver.
    They shot off in the sea direction when they realized they were spotted.
    There is quite a bit of wild life there if you take the trouble to look.
    I even have had a crow drop a small tortoise onto my truck, there was no damage, but there is a lot going on.
    I cant remember the year, but there was a guided group there with school kids, part of a project was to write down all the types of fauna and flora they saw and describe it. I was amazed at the amount of stuff there was there.
    As for the fire thing, there are responsible people and there are the just couldn't give a hoot people.
    You can just imagine if there were no controls,
    So the rules, no matter how draconian, are there for a r
    eason.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by oubaaspieter View Post
    I picked up my permit today to go to Atlantis on Saturday. I mentioned that we wanted to make breakfast there, but was told no open fires or gas. It has something to do with protecting the aquifer below. Really?

And then the no pets rule. Okey I understand that it is a protected area and that they might chase some sand creatures around, so I'll accept that one under some protest...

And the first rule? I'm not even going to waste my breath on that.

My question is, these are the City rules. What are the general accepted rules there amongst the regular Atlantis folks? We want to go there and enjoy the place in a responsible way without causing harm to the environment and fellow 4x4ers. But the above rules seem a bit draconian...
    Atlantis Dunes forms part of a proclaimed reserve, the Witzands Aquifer Nature Reserve, so all the normal nature reserve rules apply. The filming/photography clause refers to professional film shoots, not amateurs. The pets rule is obvious - there are steenbok, grysbok, caracal, mole rats, mongoose and other mammal species in the reserve. As for fires, there is no reserve in the Western Cape where fires are allowed other than in designated spots (eg Newlands Forest, Buffels at Cape Point, etc). AFAIK there are no designated spots in Witzands because it is a high risk fire area. Nothing Draconian about the rules that I can see, just the normal things that apply universally.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

sheesh.

talk about grumpy.

I think the number of beaches where you can light a fire are exactly zero, why would you be allowed one in a nature reserve?

very few beaches allow dogs, and no nature reserve that I am aware of.

The filming and photography refers to professional shoots, as Tony says.

It may also interest you to know that you are actually bloody lucky that the place is still open to 4x4s and that the rules are as relaxed as they are at this stage.

Some people are never happy.... stay away if it's an issue for you. It's a contract. if you don't like the rules, you don't have to go.

for the entry fee, believe me, it's a privilege to be allowed to go, it's certainly not a right.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2015/09/02 at 02:17 PM.

The reason for no fires is simple. It's because they have never conducted an IA to determine whether or not the coals would have an impact on the aquifer. Until they do then it's their prerogative to forbid fires. The no gas rule is news to me.
    The no pet rule is due to the wildlife, of which there is plenty, the most visibly being buck. If your dog gets nailed by a boomslang or cobra the nearest vet is quite far away.

Regarding your question asking whose rules these are, the answer is that they are the Bulk Water departments rules.

For the record, it's hasn't been proclaimed a reserve yet, but the process is underway. Once complete, expect some more rules but along with some nice things, like the possibility of designated Braai places & some other nice stuff.

The thing that made me grumpy is the no GAS rule. Not wood. Does this mean you are not allowed to cook some breakfast in a gas skottelbraai?
    Wood fires I am in agreement with, you don't want to end up with burnt out fires everywhere, it just looks crap.

Dogs I see the point now. I wasn't aware that there is many different kinds of wildlife in there. Thanx Tony for that info. I'll concede to that point. The rest of the points on the list seem fair.
    Last edited by Pieter van Eeden; 2015/09/02 at 03:25 PM.

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

I was honestly under the impression that a gas skottel is fine.

The no gas rule is news to me too. But don't worry, we will get it fixed.

The permits & rules will change anyway.

Well I'll be the first to admit that I have used my gas braai in AD on 3 different occasions with other AD's driving around and never any problems or comments.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

as far as I know it's impossible to braai on gas...

you need WOOD for a braai

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    as far as I know it's impossible to braai on gas...

you need WOOD for a braai
    In some cases you might need WOOD for after the braai too...

"we call on ol'e Taun to deliver some wood...deliver us some wood....."
    Last edited by Metalmachine; 2015/09/02 at 03:46 PM.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    The reason for no fires is simple. It's because they have never conducted an IA to determine whether or not the coals would have an impact on the aquifer. Until they do then it's their prerogative to forbid fires. The no gas rule is news to me.
    The no pet rule is due to the wildlife, of which there is plenty, the most visibly being buck. If your dog gets nailed by a boomslang or cobra the nearest vet is quite far away.

Regarding your question asking whose rules these are, the answer is that they are the Bulk Water departments rules.

For the record, it's hasn't been proclaimed a reserve yet, but the process is underway. Once complete, expect some more rules but along with some nice things, like the possibility of designated Braai places & some other nice stuff.
    XJ is the process quite far along meaning it'll happen soon or is the timeline unknown.?
    Mac A
    *Disco 3 TDV6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    For the record, it's hasn't been proclaimed a reserve yet, but the process is underway.
    Apologies - I was under the impression it was part of the bigger reserve area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac A View Post
    XJ is the process quite far along meaning it'll happen soon or is the timeline unknown.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Apologies - I was under the impression it was part of the bigger reserve area.
    It's totally understandable that everybody thinks it's already a reserve because it's always referred to as one, including CoCT. But the intention to declare it one was only recent. Adore had briefly put a stop to it but that's all been sorted now.

When I asked Bio Diversity how far they were at our last meeting they couldn't give a date but it's happening.

Oubaspieter I have some feedback for you & those that are interested:

I contacted our friends at WANR management after the issue about gas braais. As suspected, they don't have a say whilst the Dept of Bulk Water call all the shots. We could raise the issue with Bulk Water but I don't think it's worth it. Once the area is promulgated & Bio Diversity have a say in the management of the imminent reserve status, then we can get things done. Adore has already drafted proposed WANR rules relating to 4x4ing & if approved, then they will be included as an overlay into the management plan for the area. Adore has already had 4x4ing included as a listed activity in the draft management plan & they also form part of the PAAC committee for the area.

So basically, just keep a holding pattern. Adore is on it.

I also cant see a problem with a gas braai, but lets see what the authorities come up with.
    They might be lenient.
    At the fun days we were allowed gas cooking, like skottels in the kitchen area, as assorted stir fry meals seem to be popular.
    Even erecting a tent, an engineers COC had to be obtained by the club and presented to the council . this also costs some money. The City just wanted the event to be as safe as possible. Thats understandable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

XJ Junkie, thank you for the info. Apologies if I was ranting earlier. What flipped my switch a bit was when I was told no gas is allowed in the dunes in order to preserve the aquifer. Which doesn't make sense at all. Anyway, I'm going with people who were there before, I'll just follow their lead...

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by oubaaspieter View Post
    XJ Junkie, thank you for the info. Apologies if I was ranting earlier. What flipped my switch a bit was when I was told no gas is allowed in the dunes in order to preserve the aquifer. Which doesn't make sense at all. Anyway, I'm going with people who were there before, I'll just follow their lead...
    it is a bit silly on the one hand...

on the other hand, it is a fynbos area. fires get nasty, and it costs a fortune to put them out and common sense is not particularly common.

It's pretty much a blanket requirement for many city owned properties - believe me, we've had the 'cold platter' on many shoots because cooking fires are banned if you want your permit.

as I say, them's the rules. live with them or go elsewhere.

there is a very nice pub with decent beer just down the road near where Neil lives, and it's not too much of a dive. just don't park your 6m trailer on the kerb or you'll get hate on Facebook .
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2015/09/02 at 09:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast