Jimny - Strange clutch noise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jimny - Strange clutch noise

Afternoon gents.

I took my Jimny to the Stealers today because of a weird noise (kinda like a fanbelt that is starting to go)... Anyway, after replacing the v-belts and the tensioner bearing, still the same noise!

After a second mechanic then had a look / listen, he informed me it is the thrust bearing that is packing up. His test for this was applying slight pressure on the pedal as the car was stationary and the noise stopped.

Now, seeing as you guys know more about Jimnies that the stealers, here are my questions:
    1. Could the noise be a dry shaft as mentioned in a response on a similar thread by MariusT?
    2. What are the different bearings associated with the clutch? Thrust? Release? And how often do they need replacement? (The clutch feels perfectly fine, no shudders, not struggling to go into gear, not stiff, nothing)
    3. Any of you had the same noise (as mentioned above, kinda like a fanbelt screeches / squeeks as it is starting to get old, but very faintly)?

That is it for now!

Thanks in advance guys!

Derik.

Derik, very unlikely that it could be a dry shaft. The release/thrust bearing slides over the shaft but the bearing itself makes contact with the pressure plate. Bearing will make a noise like you describe it as a v belt slipping. Dry shaft will result in sticky clutch action and most probably very little noise.

Other bearing is the pilot bearing. Sometimes it is a bearing and other times it is just a bush. Can also make one hell of a noise but that will happen if you press the clutch. Highly unlikely that this one just fails.

All the components will/should last the lifetime of the clutch itself. Replacing any component will ask for exactly the same amount of labour - you need to split the engine and gearbox. Thus, when it is open, replace everything - clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot bearing and release bearing. Get expert opinion on the condition of the flywheel and if skimming is needed.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

Thanks for the input Woestynbrak!

As mentioned, the v-belts was replaced yesterday, so I can't understand as to why it could still be slipping. Will is slip if the bearing is worn?

I'm taking Jimny to my private mechanic later this week to get his opinion, and if anything needs replacing, I'll have him do it! Will also have the flywheel skimmed...

And naturally, these kind of problems occur when one is about to take a trip... But alas... Rather safe than sorry!

Cheers!

Derik.

Derik, I said the bearing noise is similar to the noise a slipping v belt makes. No connection at all between a clutch set up and the v belts.

Let your mechanic check it out and make a suggestion.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

Ahhhhhh... Ok, thanks!

When they replaced mine it still made a noise,

They never adjusted the cable tension, did it and the noise was gone.

But mine was more a "trrrrrrr" sound.
    Zone Built JEEP 018
    ORRA AG42
    2013 Jeep JK Rubicon

Sorry for the hijack ...but while we on the topic of odd noises...

Sadly I am no mechanic and have very little.. uuuhh... no idea of the inside workings of a gearbox or anything else for that fact....

Lately I have noticed a slight shudder when I pull off. When I look for it it is not there, but just when you start to relax it comes to take me by surprise then gone. It seems to only be 1st Gear.

But what i am really trying to figure out is the "Vvrrttt" like noise which seems to come when accelerating quickly, Typically across an intersection. I have also noticed lately that at high revs, there is almost the sound of something loose on a drive shaft or something.

Any ideas?

Jimny has got under 30 000 on the clock - 2013 model.
    The best day for fishing is when its raining and when it's not.

Derik, the noise you are describing is typical of a CARBON thrust bearing, (that is a bearing which is not a roller bearing). I am unsure, I actually doubt that very much, but does the Jimny use CARBON thrust bearings? Strange. The screeching comes when the normally stationary CARBON thrust bearing rotates inside the housing. Alternatively, it may be that the ROLLER thrust bearing was running with the clutch plate all the time (not enough to declutch the plate, but merely running/rotating all the time). This may have caused the lubrication to overheat and eventually allowing the bearing to pack up. Whereas the CARBON bearing will make the noise when it starts to rotate inside the housing, the ROLLER bearing will start complaining when it has seized inside the housing thus STOPPED rotating.
    Some questions:
    In use, have you noticed little to no play in your clutch pedal action?
    Maybe you have been playing a lot in water which may (unlikely but still) have washed the lubricant out of the (sealed) roller thrust bearing?
    What kilometres have you travelled with your little vehicle? Depending on your style of driving, a clutch set-up may last anything between 50k to 250k!! Please keep me informed?
    1984 SJ 410 ("Ben Laden" ) sold
    2013 Jimny ("Seuntjie") Wizerd rock sliders and underwear, Steering damper
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 ("Moeder") DASTEK chip (Sold)
    2010 Audi S3 ("Silvo")
    2013 VW Touareg V6 TDi ("Geit")
    2 bicycles ("Blitz" and "Monstrosity")
    2014 SYM 300i GTS Scooter ("Babatjie")

Thanks for the feedback Nico.

Nope, it uses a roller bearing, according to the dealer.

What do you mean by "little to no play"? That if I depress the peddle, it immediately engages the clutch? Will test this on my way home this arvo.

To date, the most 4x4ing I've done with it, was December in a very muddy Dullstroom and two weeks ago on a very dry game farm near Ellisras... (totally unacceptable I know!)

It's a 2008 model with 33,000km's on the speedo. Bought it off an old tannie in Lichtenburg, so I'm beginning to think it must be worn more than usual... You know, old tannies and clutches don't get along that well (in my experience, anyway)...

So, at this stage I'm still clueless as to the cause or what it might be, but I will keep on researching and investigating as I'm off to the Tankwa end of the month.

Cheers,

Derik.

More than likely the Thrust bearing as the Pilot bearing would scream even with the pedal slightly depressed which normally indicates thrust bearing or worn clutch.

If you've been through water above the axle height then rest assured that didn't help your thrust bearing at all as Nico points out.

I would suggest getting ready for a clutch overhaul if you are not doing it yourself and have the cash as the labour is the same for replacing a thrust bearing as a full clutch and if the clutch is more than 75% worn you'll be doing it again sooner rather than later.

Hi Boskoets.

I'm gonna fiddle with the tension this weekend, as well as lubricating the shaft on which this bearing runs.

I sincerely hope that either of these two ideas solves my problem!

Thanks,

Derik.

The second mechanics test tells us all its most likely the thrust bearing.

What did the belts and tensioner cost if I may ask?

Hi GordonF.

Nope, will not be able to it myself as this is my daily commuter!

As for the cash part, if I had read up earlier, I could have replaced the belts and tensioner bearing myself and had the dealer do the clutch, but alas... Maybe I should just go and withdraw some cash... With a balaclava and a 9mm...

But thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Derik.

Gordon,

R4,400 incl VAT

Thanks!

And they quoted R3,600 for the thrust and pilot bearings. Gave me discount on the labour hours, as well as their "internal" labour rate, because I had to point out the noise after replacement of the belts and tensioners.

Alternatively, does anybody know of a decent mechanic that can replace said bearings for me? Pretoria East / Menlyn, thereabouts... Or anywhere in Snortoria for that matter?

[QUOTE=derikdebeer;2917409]
    What do you mean by "little to no play"? That if I depress the peddle, it immediately engages the clutch? Will test this on my way home this arvo.

To date, the most 4x4ing I've done with it, was December in a very muddy Dullstroom and two weeks ago on a very dry game farm near Ellisras... (totally unacceptable I know!)

It's a 2008 model with 33,000km's on the speedo. Bought it off an old tannie in Lichtenburg, so I'm beginning to think it must be worn more than usual... You know, old tannies and clutches don't get along that well (in my experience, anyway)...

QUOTE]

Derik
    Yep if you depress the clutch pedal and it immediately (or with very little play) disengages the clutch plate, I'd say the setting and/or the adjustment is wrong. But, then you mentioned the "old tannie" syndrome and THAT's IT!! She most probably had her left foot on the clutch pedal most of the time, "just in case it is necessary". I have to agree with the other posts above - replace the complete clutch and pressure plate with the thrust bearing. Check also the flywheel wear. I am sure that the fingers on that poor little pressure plate must be worn down terribly!! Damn pity, but that's it. Regards!
    1984 SJ 410 ("Ben Laden" ) sold
    2013 Jimny ("Seuntjie") Wizerd rock sliders and underwear, Steering damper
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 ("Moeder") DASTEK chip (Sold)
    2010 Audi S3 ("Silvo")
    2013 VW Touareg V6 TDi ("Geit")
    2 bicycles ("Blitz" and "Monstrosity")
    2014 SYM 300i GTS Scooter ("Babatjie")

Yes yes oh my soul yes!
    My clutch is squealing almost all the time now when I depress it. Worse when the car has been standing for a few hours. It almost reduces me to tears it's so frustrating.
    Suzuki Tygervalley told me it was common and they greased the clutch cable or something like that at the 105K service and it shut up for a week or so... Was starting up again when they called to see if I was happy with my service. Mentioned the screech again and they said they would call me to arrange for it to come in - I'm still waiting... Car on 107k now.
    Very underutilized vehicle for its capabilities - tyres lasted 102K..
    Took it to a clutch place in Belville (recommended by Kempton Brake and Clutch) when the noise was still erratically occurring. But then it wouldn't make the noise and they didn't seem overly concerned - asked how I drove iro habits about where I put my foot between gear changes etc. decided that I probably hadn't worn the clutch out yet.
    Maybe I should go back to them now that it is noisy more often, but then Suzuki didn't seem concerned. This after Kenilworth wanted to replace the clutch on 90K cos it was a bit notchy on some changes - always got notchy before services prior to that and Parow just adjusted it a bit and it was all fine again.
    What would you lot do?

I find Peter - the service manager at Suzuki Kenilworth gives excellent advice.
    He is widely experienced on many brands - not just Suzuki.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast