Trailblazer diff lock

Default Trailblazer diff lock

Hi, I took my TB for the first time off road today. I faced a few obstacles, typical axel twisters, and noticed that when I engage low range that the traction control is switched off automatically. As a result when one or more wheels starts spinning the traction control does not activate and the limited slip dif does not engage. However, when I attempted the obstacles in high range and one of the wheels start spinning, the traction control kicks in, the wheel spin stops and there is an immediate traction and I completed the obstacles without any issues. This was not the case when I was in low range. My question, should one attemp to complete such obstacles in high range then when the traction control is switched on or is there a way to keep the traction control switched on while in low range? I drive the 2.8 Auto.

Hi Jaco

Have a look at the video in post 69 in the following tread, the best explanation of how the BTC works.

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...=184903&page=2

The most important thing for the BTC to work properly is a steady throttle.
    Real engines use spark plugs

2012 Trailblazer 3.6 V6
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by globaljaco View Post
    Hi, I took my TB for the first time off road today. I faced a few obstacles, typical axel twisters, and noticed that when I engage low range that the traction control is switched off automatically. As a result when one or more wheels starts spinning the traction control does not activate and the limited slip dif does not engage. However, when I attempted the obstacles in high range and one of the wheels start spinning, the traction control kicks in, the wheel spin stops and there is an immediate traction and I completed the obstacles without any issues. This was not the case when I was in low range. My question, should one attemp to complete such obstacles in high range then when the traction control is switched on or is there a way to keep the traction control switched on while in low range? I drive the 2.8 Auto.
    The traction control does not switch off, the stability control does, which means that the engine power is not reduced. I do find the system to be lazy, as it takes a lot of spinning before it intervenes to power the vehicle through.

As per the video, you can see that it takes a while. Now put it onto a 20 degree slope.....

I think that the software could have been programmed better for low range use.

Compare a Pajero or Jeep Wrangler and you will see a totally different picture.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadatrac system is way worse though.