Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have a xplorer that I bought second hand. The previous owner drove around Kili with it. I have been to Lesotho with the van and we go away at least once a month. Every year I replace the bearings with new ones. I use a good quality marine grease (learnt this from boat trailer) that can handle a higher operating temperature than most grease. We landed up doing Anthoniesberg Pass inb the dark a few weeks ago on the way to Baviaans, and I misjudged a couple of sections that we went airborne and landed hard and have never lost a wheel or have a bearing fail. The main trick is to service them regularly and to use the van. Anything that stands is going to pick up issues. The same as putting your 4x4 into 4x4 every 1000km and driving a distance in 4x4 to allow everything to grease up and stay supple

Default Re: Jurgen Xplorer Wheel Bearings

Good evening

I just have a question, I recently bought a 2009 Explorer, I measured the distance from the ground to the top wheel arch and found a 20mm difference on the geyser side to be lower. So i asked the guy I bought it from and he said they have a 30mm tolerance to vary, is this true, any one hear of something like this, I have drained all the water and the geyser and the shower tent and it stayed the same, I suspect the axle needs to be repaired, but not sure?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nompas View Post
    Good evening

I just have a question, I recently bought a 2009 Explorer, I measured the distance from the ground to the top wheel arch and found a 20mm difference on the geyser side to be lower. So i asked the guy I bought it from and he said they have a 30mm tolerance to vary, is this true, any one hear of something like this, I have drained all the water and the geyser and the shower tent and it stayed the same, I suspect the axle needs to be repaired, but not sure?

Thanks
    I presume it has a rubax axle, bad news is Alco is closed for business but the good news is that Burquip should be able to supply a new one. Repairing a rubber axle is not something I would do. I know there are folks that swear by it nut for me...not worth it.

The collapse on one side more than the other is an old problem, you would often see a car with more sag on the drivers side than the other side and you know that vehicle does s lot of solo driver traveling. If the one side is 20mm out I am sure that the side has had more weight on it and that the springs (rubber blocks inside the axle) are more worn on the one side than the other. It is not good as the softer springs could cause the caravan to sway and become unstable.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Good evening

Thanks
    Daar is mense wat die aste oor doen en nuwe rubbers in druk.
    Ek het self aste laat oordoen en het geen probleem gehad nie.

Good evening

Thanks
    Jip, common problem. I replaced the axle of my 2015 Xcape in 2022. 7 year of service and it gave in. It was squating already when i bought it in 2020.
    2022 D23 Navara LE Auto 4x4, OME suspension and Rhinoman Canopy
    2015 Jurgens Xcape (up FOR SALE)

Thank you for the feedback, I also assume it needs to be replaced but the dealer says otherwise, anyway who are the guys to replace the rubbers since Alko left?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3