Trip around the east of Southern Africa

Default Trip around the east of Southern Africa

Hi All,

Iv traveled before to Ponta, not myself driving, and we wish to do a trip in December. We are a bunch of young guys and will be having a jol from start to end.
    From JHB - Swaziland - Ponta - Bilene - Inhambane and looking at going up to Malawi(Monkey Bay) and across Zambia(Lusaka) to Vic falls and home through Botswana .

My first question - Mozambique

Where can I find information as to how to go, what ill need, tips?

My Second question - Mozambique to Malawi

Planning on going to Chimoyo then to Tete and from there to Malawi, Again where can i find info as to what ill need and what to be aware of etc..

My Third question - Saftey?

Can this be done in one vehicle, I understand two is safer for many reasons, but its always difficult to find adventurers who are will to come with on this, budgets are tight, 4 in a car makes sense, 2 per vehicle seems excessive.

My Fourth Question - Zambia

Again info?

My Fifth Question - Botswana

We will be coming home down Botswana, best routes? advise?

Your assistance in this is greatly appreciated.

Hi - I'd suggest you do some detailed research in each country section, and also have a look at the Overland section stickies, then come back with more precise questions. There is masses of information on the forum and various people could write a book in response to your questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hi - I'd suggest you do some detailed research in each country section, and also have a look at the Overland section stickies, then come back with more precise questions. There is masses of information on the forum and various people could write a book in response to your questions!
    +1
    You can have a look at my solo vehicle trip report here, it will cover some parts of your route, including Botswana, Zambia and Malawi. You can use the links in the report to skip to the relevant country:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=209459

I chose to avoid the Chimoio to Tete stretch in January of this year, as there was an unfortunate incident (could have been an isolated incident) along the route that raised safety concerns. I went from Malawi to Tete in Moz and then into Zim towards Harare. Another thing to maybe consider, is the scarcity of Accommodation options on the Chimoio Tete route, until you cross over to Malawi. For Tete accommodation, read the Mozambique section of the above trip report. Contact Anja Mann at Pink Papaya for a spot to sleep over at in Tete.

Notes on Malawi: Dirty, smelly, overcrowded, diversity, contrasts between lake, swamps and mountains, incredibly scenic, accessible, huge jol by the lake shore with young crowd from other parts of the world, friendly local people, sense of safety, good road infrastructure, ##### expensive petrol, very cheap beer. Supermarkets are prolific, fuel can run dry sometimes. Kuche Kuche never runs out! I love Malawi.

Notes on Zambia: Again, read the trip reports on the Zambia section. Zambia is very safe, hugely expensive for fuel, groceries and park entrance fees, beer is generally more expensive than home, massive scenic landscapes, huge rivers, safe, friendly people, Lusaka is a dump, South Luangwa Wildlife Camp is paradise. Supermarkets and fuel will be readily available, but distances between towns can be long. Very remote and desolate in some places with much less people than Malawi, roads are either brand new (Chinese) or falling to pieces.

Botswana: Zambia Kazungula border crossing notes and Kasane area impressions included in my trip report. This Kasane/ Chobe area is one of the most beautiful on your entire trip and should be savored as much as possible.

Mozambique: The road EN1 from the SA border at Ressano Garcia to Inhambane is a tar highway in great condition. Be extremely mindful of the cops. The entire Southern Moz stretch is great for a jol, but it will get real once you travel into the palm belt, north of Xai Xai. Tipo Tinto R&R, 2M, prawns, peri peri chicken, coconuts, palm trees, cashews, balmy waters, lagoons, islands, fresh fish on the braai.

Have fun! Its probably more than dangerous in SA than in any of the neighbouring countries. You will find familiar SA brands like Shoprite and SABMiller around every corner, together with lots of other Saffers traveling alone.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    VID Bash Plates
    Ironman Suspension(F 55mm /R 65mm)
    Suzuki Snorkel + K&N OEM filter
    General Grabber 245/70r16 OR:
    Kumho KL71 245/75r16
    Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack
    Garmin Nuvi 52LM with T4A
    Lead Crystal 120Ah with CTEK D250S and 80W Bushpower solar panel