stars and the milky way - Page 6

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: stars and the milky way

So this post has inspired me to dust off the trusty old Nikon D90.

I would like to get a lens now to attempt "star" shoots. I wanted to get myself the plastic fantastic but they have the 35mm 1.8G DX on sale at Orms. Would this be a better option than the 50mm 1.8G lens? They are the same price. I am a total noob at this.

Your valuable inputs are appreciated!
    'For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by NinoZA View Post
    So this post has inspired me to dust off the trusty old Nikon D90.

I would like to get a lens now to attempt "star" shoots. I wanted to get myself the plastic fantastic but they have the 35mm 1.8G DX on sale at Orms. Would this be a better option than the 50mm 1.8G lens? They are the same price. I am a total noob at this.

Your valuable inputs are appreciated!
    Merwe posted here a link that was very good.

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/nightscapes/

It is a good read and the guy explained wide angle versus eg a 35 vs a 50 and which is better and why. Personally i dont like to stitch to many pics so i will still enjoy my wide angle and will keep doing so for much longer. It is more then good enough for me as a beginner astro guy, but I now also understand why a 50mm is better then a 35 and a 15 mm.
    Last edited by johan65; 2016/09/13 at 02:07 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1474042014018.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	418329

Shot this excavator the other night. There was a half moon that helped with the lighting but did not allow for many stars. Some light pollution from oranjemund about 5 km away.
    Nikon 7000
    Samyang 14mm f2.8
    iso 1600
    25 seconds
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NinoZA View Post
    35mm 1.8G DX 50mm 1.8G
    For star photography you want to go as wide as possible. I have 2 x Tokina lenses I use for stars and I really recommend looking into them at least, their IQ is excellent - I ordered both via Amazon: a Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8 and a Tokina 12 - 28mm F4. Although the 35 and 50mm lenses open up nice and big, they're not wide enough to capture enough of the sky.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Here is one that I took in the Richtersveld last month, it was with an old Canon 5 d mark i. Rokinon 14 mm lens , 30 sec at f/2.8 and ISO at 1250. I illuminated the signboard with my headlight, I do not like the colour of the light and there is a lot of noise in the lower half of the image. I recently got hold of the new Canon 5 d mark iv, bought it with a pay out from an insurance claim. I am keen to see what the new camera with its much higher ISO capability will do with the dark sky, but I am stuck in the city for the next few months.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    For star photography you want to go as wide as possible. I have 2 x Tokina lenses I use for stars and I really recommend looking into them at least, their IQ is excellent - I ordered both via Amazon: a Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8 and a Tokina 12 - 28mm F4. Although the 35 and 50mm lenses open up nice and big, they're not wide enough to capture enough of the sky.
    This is why I want a nice wide lens for stars... But don't want to pay 4 arms and a toe!
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd Manual.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

Quote Originally Posted by mariusrautenbach View Post
    This is why I want a nice wide lens for stars... But don't want to pay 4 arms and a toe!
    Rokinon/Samyang lenses are what you want. Ignore the branding, it's the same hardware rebranded.

I use the 12mm f/2.8 fisheye. They have a rectilinear 14mm f/2.8 which is amazing too. About $350 for the either of these lenses. (Fully manual on Canon - they've recently come up with a "chipped" version for Nikon).

Fantastic value for money. There's a shot I took with the fisheye about 2 pages back on this thread. Here's a daytime shot with the same lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cainslie; 2016/09/20 at 07:14 AM.
    Chris

I got the 14 mm Rokinon from Amazon. I also used an old 17-35 Sigma f2.8 (I think, it has since been liberated so I cannot check the specs), the Rokinon was all over a bit sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Rokinon/Samyang lenses are what you want.. (Fully manual on Canon -
    If fully manual, do you only shoot it wide open?
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Also use the Samyang 14mm, f2.8. Great lens and I am having great fun with the manual side of it. I normally just shoot with it wide open.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

That Samyang looks like a fun lens.
    Also, what about the 10-20mm Sigma?
    Nikon's 10-24?

But the Samyang pulls me closer....

----------------

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    Also use the Samyang 14mm, f2.8. Great lens and I am having great fun with the manual side of it. I normally just shoot with it wide open.
    Hi Kimball, what do you do if wanting to shoot at say, F22? I used to battle with the FD lenses with mechanical aperture control when shooting at the smaller aperture. A toothpick was used to keep it at the selected aperture but then the viewfinder gets very dark - ok if shooting with continuous lighting but if not it looks like midnight in there!

At night, with the wide angle 14mm, I normally just shoot a test image and adjust the orientation of the camera. I use live view and zoom in to check the focus but I know the sweet spot on the focus which is just before the infinity setting on my lens.
    I hardly ever shoot at small apertures, do not see much change in the depth of field when I do....
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Nikon's 10-24?

Going to try my Sigma 10-20 tonight (got a new 3-way tripod head this morning). The shots I did with the Sigma 24-135 f/2.8 were too narrow at 24.

The problem is the shutter speed. You want to try to be under 30s to avoid star trails. To decrease shutter speed, you need to increase ISO. With high ISO numbers, one tends to pick up fairly severe noise, unless you are using top end cameras. You have to use the largest aperture your lens is capable of to get the pics. No ways f/22 is going to work.
    Last edited by Bigal-SA; 2016/09/21 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    At night, with the wide angle 14mm, I normally just shoot a test image and adjust the orientation of the camera. I use live view and zoom in to check the focus but I know the sweet spot on the focus which is just before the infinity setting on my lens.
    I hardly ever shoot at small apertures, do not see much change in the depth of field when I do....
    Thanks Kimball, I forgot that one can use live view to compensate for the small aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigal-SA View Post
    Going to try my Sigma 10-20 tonight (got a new 3-way tripod head this morning). The shots I did with the Sigma 24-135 f/2.8 were too narrow at 24.

The problem is the shutter speed. You want to try to be under 30s to avoid star trails. To decrease shutter speed, you need to increase ISO. With high ISO numbers, one tends to pick up fairly severe noise, unless you are using top end cameras. You have to use the largest aperture your lens is capable of to get the pics. No ways f/22 is going to work.
    I wasn't suggesting the use of F22 to shoot stars- question was on using the lens at other apertures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1474464758091.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	418832
    I recently tried my first star trail shot (in camera). Shot at f4, iso100, 20min.
    Lots of noise as would be expected...
    I think I will stick to my standard setting of f2.8, iso3200, 25sec, wb 5000k
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Nikon's 10-24?

Both are nice lenses, but for stars you really want the fastest lens you can afford.

They are brilliant general landscape lenses though because they are small and light, especially the Sigma.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Both are nice lenses, but for stars you really want the fastest lens you can afford.

They are brilliant general landscape lenses though because they are small and light, especially the Sigma.
    After checking the Nikon's price yesterday.... Nee dankie! Way to expensive.

So I want the Samyang now! LOL

----------------

Marius, if you are still using crop-frame camera, also look at the Tokina 11-16 f2.8
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast