Pathfinder clock spring

Default Pathfinder clock spring

Hello all, my clock spring is faulty, or probably worn out(2006 Pathy), for those of you not knowing exactly what this part is, it goes behind the steering wheel on the coloumb and is the electrical contact for all your buttons on your steering wheel. this obviously allows the steering to be turned and electrical contact for all the various buttons and features to be continious.
    mine is faulty because the connection for the drivers air bag has worn out or broken, resulting in the air bag warning light flashing and more importantly if in an accident this air bag wont deploy. At least thats what the technicians at the dealership tell me. i am told that just the replacement part( the clock spring ) is over R4000 from the agents.
    my question to you guys out there is firstly can this part be repaired, secondly if not is there someone out there that sells these apart from the agents, and thirdly has anyone else out there experienced this same problem and how have you overcome it.
    any info on this topic is greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Kevin

Hi KJC,
    Im sure I have seen this fix on youtube many moons ago.
    Be 100% sure to have your battery disconnected for some time before trying to do any work in this area yourself.
    Those airbags can be lethal if they pop at the wrong time!!!
    It could be a simple issue such as dust on the contacts. Contact cleaner spray can fix it.
    Could also just be a contact point that has become corroded inside the steering wheel.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

I would suggest you look at the other threads on the Nissan page and pick one that the topic relates to functions on the steering wheel that also makes use of the clock spring.

Alternatively search for "clock spring" on the forum and read the thread that pops up in the search list.

Lastly, you can go to this thread and see if any of the info is helpful. It is all related. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=221459

I know it as a slip ring. That is what Airbag King in Booysens rd, Jhb calls it. I have the same problem on my Pathfinder. Airbag light flashing. The plug in computer says steering air bag fault. Airbag king tested it and confirmed it is the slip ring. Its is also known as a "squib ring" or "spiral cable"

I went to End Street Nissan and they knew what it was when I called it the slip ring. The price for a new one is R3800 incl VAT.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2015/08/18 at 09:49 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

thanks guys for all the help and advice, i will certainly look at you tube and see if i can do something myself, addition to this i will serch the forums on this topic.
    i will also call some local dealerships here in PMB and Durban to see if i can get some prices on this item, wheather it is called clock spring, slip or squid ring or spiral cable, i am sure they will tell me and give me a cost.
    much appreciated guys, thanks for the assistance
    Kevin

Last edited by mvcoller; 2015/08/18 at 12:46 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

thanks mvcoller for the http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-spring-87052/

it was certainly helpful
    cheers
    Kevin

Pleasure.

Thinking of ordering the unit from the Amazon posting. It seems you can only buy the complete multiswitch locally, with both the stalks.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec