My friend made a short film about endangered fish. Sport fishermen don't seem happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My friend made a short film about endangered fish. Sport fishermen don't seem happy.

Don't worry, it isn't as bad as my videos.

Dr Jeremy Shelton has made a pretty good little video about the freshwater fishes in the Western Cape.

We have a load of endemic little fish that are getting nailed, but there may be a way to save them.

One of the big issues is alien fish, but the sport fishing industry is a powerful one and he is already getting some comments from them by the looks of things in the comments.

It is called Fins in the Fynbos and worth watching.

Basically the idea of reclaiming the waterways involves taking out the indigenous fish, killing all the alien fish and putting the indigenous fish back in.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

very good. silly plinky plonky music that is too loud is my only real criticism, you turn it down so the plinks and plonks are acceptable and you can't hear what he is saying.

Actually, I didn't realise that the smaller streams and rivers were capable of supporting the bigger alien fish - nor did I realise that there were unique fish in the fynbos area as well.

I'm all for 'de - alienating' the Cape (and many other areas for that matter) - I know the bunny huggers get all up tight when you rip out pine forests because 'the poor animals' but meantime they are destroying waterways, habitats and indigenous fauna and flora.

certainly difficult to balance it all with farming - the run off from pesticides etc all end up in the rivers.

the R4 000 000 to rehabilitate the river seems pretty small change?

Yeah our fish don't get much airtime because we can't see them I suppose, but a lot of our rivers have ancient endemics, species only found in a single catchment separated by millions of years and critically endangered because of range restriction- basically if one river goes a whole species goes.

I did a little project at varsity on a critically endangered redfin and it seemed like given a modest buffer zone of 50m or so most of the pesticides had negligible effect on the fish compared to the alien fish.

Hopefully this will raise the profile of the issues a bit.
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

he certainly has a far more respectable beard than you do, and much more hair.

Would Alien fish (sport fish) need to be eradicated in all rivers, or only in some to improve the lot of indigenous fish ?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    ...silly plinky plonky music that is too loud is my only real criticism, you turn it down so the plinks and plonks are acceptable and you can't hear what he is saying...
    This is why I don't have music in mine

That and I don't know how to put any in
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Carp are useless and not fun to catch but bass are fighters.

Are trout also alien fish.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post

Yes they are, and delicious too!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post

All species of trout are alien. Brown (brook) trout are for Europe while Rainbow trout are for North America.

This is not just confined to the fynbos region however. Many other indigenous fish populations are under threat. It's something that seems to be swept under the carpet. Hopefully clips like this help raise a bit of awareness.
    Life's too short to drive boring...
    -------------------------------------
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (iNyathi)
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Pepper)
    1994 Pajero 3.0 V6 (Ruby)

Quote Originally Posted by qoda View Post
    All species of trout are alien. Brown (brook) trout are for Europe while Rainbow trout are for North America.

This is not just confined to the fynbos region however. Many other indigenous fish populations are under threat. It's something that seems to be swept under the carpet. Hopefully clips like this help raise a bit of awareness.
    Sadly , not much chance of that.

Perhaps we could get Disney to make a movie about a cuddly, yet dysfunctional family of sand fish , then get an American dentist to come here and shoot one with a bow with a questionable permit.

That's a more realistic way to raise awareness !

Support this 100%. I'm a fish fanatic.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Sadly , not much chance of that.

Perhaps we could get Disney to make a movie about a cuddly, yet dysfunctional family of sand fish , then get an American dentist to come here and shoot one with a bow with a questionable permit.

That's a more realistic way to raise awareness !
    Unfortunately true.
    Life's too short to drive boring...
    -------------------------------------
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (iNyathi)
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Pepper)
    1994 Pajero 3.0 V6 (Ruby)

Oh Well, I suppose I'll have to start eating the bass I seldom catch instead of throwing them back!
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

Nice to see the work being done to save our fishes, well done to all, you've got my full support. Trout are now being "farmed" in the Khatse dam in Lesotho, they're in cages but it takes just one slip-up by someone who misses a hole in the cage or drops a few fingerlings into the open water or something similar, then they're out. The small indigenous fish in Lesotho are also in trouble due to trout being introduced into many rivers there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    Oh Well, I suppose I'll have to start eating the bass I seldom catch instead of throwing them back!
    Tastier to eat a spoon of mud and leave the fish on the bank.
    Last edited by RobH; 2015/08/20 at 08:56 AM.

You wouldnt need to eradicate them all, just control movement between watersheds. You wouldn't even need to eradicate them from a whole river system if you have a waterfall or suitable barrier to upstream movement in place. Just make some more refuges up stream ckear of aliens is a good start.

Eventually though who knows, I am not a fan of aliens and believe we have good local angling species that would be fun for sporting types if conserved.
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

I think one of the issues is that many people dont even realise that bass, carp, trout etc. are not indigenous.

I for one didnt know till recently.

I as well as many others dont know what are indigenous other than kurper and thalapia.

Informative video. Thanks
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...

In the river system I was working on the cape kurper was also an issue, while it is indigenous to the region it was alien to that river. Tricky business.
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by qoda View Post
    There is a population of indigenous brown trout in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco - for the rest, all trout in Africa are introduced, going back to the Frontier Acclimatisation Society in the Eastern Cape in the late 1800s, and the establishment of the Jonkershoek Hatchery at around the same time. Our worst invasive species are carp, bass (both types), bluegill sunfish, and the movement of some indigenous fish outside of their endemic range, for example sharp toothed catfish. Trout and indigenous species seem to live side by side in some rivers (especially in the Du Toits Kloof area) although there is obviously some predation.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/08/21 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    You wouldnt need to eradicate them all, just control movement between watersheds. You wouldn't even need to eradicate them from a whole river system if you have a waterfall or suitable barrier to upstream movement in place. Just make some more refuges up stream ckear of aliens is a good start.
    As the video says, Rotenone, although very controversial, is probably the answer if done carefully, as has happened in the Cederberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Die$eL View Post
    I as well as many others dont know what are indigenous other than kurper and thalapia.
    According to Paul Skelton's "Complete Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of Southern Africa" there are 280 indigenous species in 105 genera and 39 families. As far as I know 33 of these species are classified as Red Data species by the IUCN, 11 of them critically endangered, 6 endangered, 9 vulnerable, and 7 near threatened.
    (Incidentally, kurper is the Afrikaans common name for many species of tilapia and bream).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast