Thread: Clutch

Default Clutch

Fantastic news, clutch failure at 25,000km's..
    Currently in for replacement!
    What I do understand is that the thrust bearing is sticky on the input shaft, therefore the "stiff" clutch. It was not slipping, just very hard to press, and catching very low.

Same happened to mine!!! I am on a facebook group for the tunland in Australia and New Zealand. All got clutch problem. You get heavy duty clutch by Exedy on that side. Apparently revised clutch for new models.
    my has also been replaced and collar replaced. also sticky.
    Last edited by UITZICHT; 2015/08/27 at 03:26 PM.
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

Just a hint , but as the tunland has a vac assisted clutch , always adjust the pedal free travel with the engine running

Thanks
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanB1025 View Post
    Fantastic news, clutch failure at 25,000km's..
    Currently in for replacement!
    What I do understand is that the thrust bearing is sticky on the input shaft, therefore the "stiff" clutch. It was not slipping, just very hard to press, and catching very low.
    Hi, RiaanB1025.

I felt some kind of friction during first months when the pedal travelled in or out, but they did something and itís smooth now and no other problem (near 19.000 km).

On the other hand, the biting point is very near to the beginning of the pedal travel (or to the end when releasing, if you prefer) so I got the engine stalled several times during the first months. Are your Tunlands like that? Foton guys told me itís normal for that car.

Exactly my point from new, and they said adjustment, and every time they adjusted, but I was never "confident", until the failure.
    What happen with mine eventually was the locating "spring" for the release bearing broke on the one side, therefore when push the clutch everything push skew, and eventually starting to seize onto the input shaft.

The clutch adjustment is finicky , I've been loosening the slave cyl mount bolts to check if there's any load on it . If so I adjust the pedal push rod to allow the cyl to butt up to the bell housing with no pressure . This seems to give a good engagement height on the pedal . There's also adjustment on the booster to master cyl push rod . There is a heavy duty pressure plate available if you request it