Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 27

    Question Secondhand 4X4 SUV for leisure time

    Apologies for the long first post - just trying to answer questions that may arise.
    I'm looking for a second vehicle for 'holiday use' (game reserves, fishing expeditions etc) - on tar roads for most of the travel but gravel/dirt off the black stuff.
    A second hand vehicle at say ħR250,000 with 4X4 capability although it'll not be used for 'Bundu bashing' but rather used in 4X4 mode for gravel/dirt/mud conditions.
    I work outside SA and have driven a 2008 3L Petrol Pajero for the last 7 years but will shortly returning back to CT - LHD so I can't bring it back . I've really enjoyed the Pajero but have driven it on tarred roads with no real 'off-road' driving. Fuel consumption has been circa 14L/100Km but at R200 for 77 litres of petrol it's difficult to put into perspective the costs of running a 4X4 in SA (in other words, very out of touch with SA vehicle expenses).
    So a few questions that hopefully kind forum members might help me out:
    1. I'm looking at (4 door) SUV's rather than double cabs as the double cabs seems more expensive in comparison. Guess that's because of popularity?
    2. As I understand it running a diesel is cheaper than a petrol vehicle but 'major' petrol maintenance costs are lower when required. What are the running cost differences to say 400,000 to 500,000 total Km of petrol vs diesel (trade off between fuel costs and maintenance)? (As this impacts on what the maximum KMs on the second hand vehicle should be at purchase date.)
    3. I like the Pajero but is it the right choice in SA considering maintenance costs and buying second hand?
    4. Looking at 2nd hand 4X4's I note that the Landie Discovery vehicles seem to offer better value for money when compared to the Pajero. Not too dissimilar pricing for the same model with sometimes lower Kms. Is this due to much higher maintenance costs on the Landie or fuel costs or something else?
    5. Toyota is an obvious possibility but worried that they are more prone to theft because of their popularity and also they can be stripped for spares that have a high demand (Toyota seems to use many similar components across their vehicles)?
    6. I'd prefer more 'mechanical' than electronic engine components as they're easier to fix oneself when necessary. I'm guessing the newer 'electronic' engines are more prone to failure and leave one stranded?

    I'm not worried about resale value as I expect to keep the vehicle until it falls apart - or I 'depart'. Also I'm not a 'brand fan-boy' so have no specific favourites.
    In the final analysis the 4X4 should travel well on the tar and be competent on gravel/dirt/mud. I'm not concerned about 'looks' - I'm more worried about having a nice (well maintained/durable/comfortable) interior than exterior as I expect the exterior will get some stone chips/scratches etc. The vehicle should be economical to maintain/run and be very reliable.
    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    It sounds like you'd be happy with a Pajero 3.2 diesel. They just go on & on. Economical & bulletproof.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanked: 1354

    Default

    I would look for another Pajero but why not look at something like a New Duster.
    Prado 120 is excellent but will cost more than Pajero.
    Fortuner D4D is great and ticks all your boxes but theft could be a problem.
    If you don't need 4 doors, can add about 30k (and a bit for fuel) then get a FJ - its the best of everything you want in a 4x4 rolled into one!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I would look for another Pajero but why not look at something like a New Duster.
    Based on this, it's an option

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    - on tar roads for most of the travel but gravel/dirt off the black stuff. A second hand vehicle at say ħR250,000 with 4X4 capability although it'll not be used for 'Bundu bashing' but rather used in 4X4 mode for gravel/dirt/mud conditions. should be economical to maintain/run and be very reliable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    It sounds like you'd be happy with a Pajero 3.2 diesel. They just go on & on. Economical & bulletproof.
    Thanks XJ,
    How about a Pajero Sport? Mechanically as good as the 'normal' Pajero?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    Thanks XJ, How about a Pajero Sport? Mechanically as good as the 'normal' Pajero?
    Yes those are very good cars. Better than the Fortuna too. Not sure what you'd get for R250k though. Normal Pajero would be more refined & SUV type suspension as opposed to bakkie suspension on the Sport.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I would look for another Pajero but why not look at something like a New Duster.
    Prado 120 is excellent but will cost more than Pajero.
    Fortuner D4D is great and ticks all your boxes but theft could be a problem.
    If you don't need 4 doors, can add about 30k (and a bit for fuel) then get a FJ - its the best of everything you want in a 4x4 rolled into one!!
    Thanks Dirtshark,
    I looked at the Prado when I bought the Pajero - about same price. Locals told me they have a problem with rolling because they're narrower which put me off. (then again the driving in Q8 has to be seen ...).
    Didn't know they had the FJ in SA - don't think I've seen one whilst home on leave. Maybe too 'butch' for a 63 year old
    My worry with Toyota is theft for parts.
    Last edited by Antony; 2015/08/18 at 11:22 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    40
    Posts
    10,506
    Thanked: 3060

    Default

    I have to agree, for the budget and your needs it sounds like a Duster will do the job. Plus you get the peace of mind of a 5 year 150K warranty.

    Or how about a Ssangyong Rexton? You can get an immaculate one for your budget.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Unfortunately we won't get the new spec Rexton for R250k Johan.

    Antony I looked on autotrader & there's plenty of Paj sports in that bracket with 100k on the clock.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    My worry with Toyota is theft for parts.
    Yip, it's a big problem

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,997
    Thanked: 17934

    Default

    I'd buy a low mileage FSH Disco 2 V8 or TD5 and put the rest of the money in my overlanding kitty....................
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,324
    Thanked: 1354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    Thanks Dirtshark,
    I looked at the Prado when I bought the Pajero - about same price. Locals told me they have a problem with rolling because they're narrower which put me off. (then again the driving in Q8 has to be seen ...).
    Didn't know they had the FJ in SA - don't think I've seen one whilst home on leave. Maybe too 'butch' for a 63 year old
    My worry with Toyota is theft for parts.
    Do yourself a favour and go and drive one - I really mean it when I say its the best.
    They don't steal Toyota's for parts - they get 'exported'
    FJC - Just Cruising

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Disco V8 is just too heavy on juice & that's coming from a Jeep I6 owner :-)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,997
    Thanked: 17934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Disco V8 is just too heavy on juice & that's coming from a Jeep I6 owner :-)
    Around 6.5km/L yes. About average for a 4.0L old gen engine.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    I have to agree, for the budget and your needs it sounds like a Duster will do the job. Plus you get the peace of mind of a 5 year 150K warranty.

    Or how about a Ssangyong Rexton? You can get an immaculate one for your budget.
    Hi Johan,

    I have a hate relationship with Renault, mainly never liked the (close) pedal spacing or the small pedals. Mind you haven't driven one for 20 years, don't know if they've improved that aspect?

    PS - Didn't expect this many replies so quickly. Wow. If I miss replying to anyone it's just that I can't type that fast

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,997
    Thanked: 17934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    Hi Johan,

    I have a hate relationship with Renault, mainly never liked the (close) pedal spacing or the small pedals. Mind you haven't driven one for 20 years, don't know if they've improved that aspect?

    PS - Didn't expect this many replies so quickly. Wow. If I miss replying to anyone it's just that I can't type that fast
    My opinion is to avoid the Duster unless you're happy to take a huge resale knock in the short term. The resale price might get better as time goes on, but most South Africans don't trust the brand much.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Dusters pedals are fine. I also previously had a Renault that I hated with a passion but they've moved on now.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,348
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    It sounds like you'd be happy with a Pajero 3.2 diesel. They just go on & on. Economical & bulletproof.
    +1
    Pat

    Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Do yourself a favour and go and drive one - I really mean it when I say its the best.
    They don't steal Toyota's for parts - they get 'exported'
    Any idea what the 'theft rate' is for the XJ?
    Maybe because it sort of 'stands out' (easily identifiable) theft isn't such a problem?
    You've piqued my interest
    Not many around though but prices are 'reasonable'.
    Just that it's a thirsty 4L which probably drives the price down.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    27,128
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Around 6.5km/L yes. About average for a 4.0L old gen engine.
    I reckon it's closer to 5 :-)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Terios owners
    By adolfschoe in forum Softroaders
    Replies: 2310
    Last Post: 2020/09/01, 07:06 PM
  2. It's time... Generator, final dessision time.
    By bigboy529 in forum Alternative Energy Solutions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2015/11/21, 04:59 PM
  3. Mtsu Pajero DiD crowned Auzzie's best towing vehicle
    By SimonB in forum Vehicle & Technical Chat - General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2010/12/09, 02:16 PM
  4. Errors from time to time
    By Henris in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2007/10/22, 10:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •