Aussie Locker? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Locker?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Basically various systems exist: mechanical as well as hydraulic.

VariLok/HydraLok is a good system that uses a system of rotating limited slip disks and oil to apply progressive traction via the spider gears (or that's how I understand them).
    I understand the Trutrac uses helical gears/worm wheels that develop friction against the casing.
    Kam also makes a clutch plate based LSD.
    Ashcroft and Quaife has a helical torque bias locker.

The Detroits are more of a ratchet-clutch type and is really not a torque biased locker.

All of these can and will work on full time 4x4.
    Thanks Jelo.
    Is there a SA supplier of one of these products that you could recommend I contact? I want a system that I engage from the dash - like the ARB system. And I want a system that people have used and found to be good quality...
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

I also had a look on the internet, these guys make E-Lockers
    https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/4x4-p...i-triton-front
    But for 16k eish looks like a good product.
    Nissan hardbody 3l td. 4x4 d/c
    2001 Subaru impreza wrx sti.
    African backbone Caprivi senior Trailer
    ORRA: call-sign H25 & H25A

Quote Originally Posted by schalkgr View Post
    I also had a look on the internet, these guys make E-Lockers
    https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/4x4-p...i-triton-front
    But for 16k eish looks like a good product.
    But who fits the in SA?
    That is the e-locker I've been recommended. Apparently OL fits them:
    http://oppositelock.co.za/products/performance-parts/

Haven't been able to contact them though to confirm.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by mic_zw View Post
    But who fits the in SA?
    That is the e-locker I've been recommended. Apparently OL fits them:
    http://oppositelock.co.za/products/performance-parts/

Haven't been able to contact them though to confirm.
    I think broadacres fitment center does their installations for them.
    "oh i see you are in CT" i know the okes do it in midrand. maybe rex diff and gearbox?
    Last edited by schalkgr; 2015/08/18 at 07:55 PM.
    Nissan hardbody 3l td. 4x4 d/c
    2001 Subaru impreza wrx sti.
    African backbone Caprivi senior Trailer
    ORRA: call-sign H25 & H25A

The Aussie Locker uses a ratchet system and is automatic, meaning it engages whenever the fron diff is engaged. That is a problem for the Pajero as it has a permanent 4WD option for use on solid surfaces. I can't have the locker engaging in normal permanent 4WD mode.

I definitely need a manual switch on and off locker like the ARB product.
    I don't know if there is such a product other than ARB... Maybe the E Locker? My search continues...

But as XJJ says - you don't need a front locker. I agree. But it would be nice.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

The Aussie Locker uses a ratchet system and is automatic, meaning it engages whenever the fron diff is engaged. That is a problem for the Pajero as it has a permanent 4WD option for use on solid surfaces. I can't have the locker engaging in normal permanent 4WD mode.

I definitely need a manual switch on and off locker like the ARB product.
    I don't know if there is such a product other than ARB... Maybe the E Locker? My search continues...

But as XJJ says - you don't need a front locker. I agree. But it would be nice.
    That's why you use a soft locker on the front and a hard locker at the back.

The Defender and Disco 1 & 2 were permanent 4WD and this is what the serious guys do.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

That's why you use a soft locker on the front and a hard locker at the back.

The Defender and Disco 1 & 2 were permanent 4WD and this is what the serious guys do.
    I have no idea what you mean by "soft locker" but I did read this under the Detroit Locker write up, so I assume that is what you refer to:

Over the years the Detroit Locker has seen various improvements on its design. Notoriously harsh and noisy characteristics of the earlier designs made it more suited to offroad use while later design improvements such as those found in the Detroit Soft Locker (Softlocker) removed much of the harsh banging and clunking characteristics during engagement and disengagement, making them somewhat acceptable on paved roads to the experienced offroader.

What I don't understand is how this is possible with a permanent 4WD set up? Doesn't the locker engage permanently and cause wind up and damage?
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Soft Locker = LSD, torque bias, and similar where the locker can slip slightly or release wind-up
    Hard Locker = ARB, Kam, Ashcroft and similar where the spider gears are locked using vacuum or solenoid

The Detroit is a ratchet design than can release but it tends to affect steering if used in the front.
    Percivamus

And I've heard of plenty of serious off-roaders that swear on a front locker..........
    Percivamus

Also have a look at OX Lockers. What I like about them you get a cable operated option

http://www.ox-usa.com/
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

There's also the Detroit TrueTrac, a limited slip diff using helical gears (not friction clutches), so it uses standard diff oil.

I have it in the front axle of my Landy, works exceptionally well for me.
    Gandalf: '77 Series III 109" SW (He's old, he's grey, he smokes, but on an adventure you want him as companion...)
    HF, VHF, UHF
    Detroit Locker rear, Truetrac LSD front
    Hardened valve seat ULP conversion
    British cut cam shaft
    VW carb conversion, electric fuel pump
    G-Tech Electronic Ignition
    Hankook M/T 235/85/16

Frodo: '12 Jimny (SWAMBO)
    Stofpad spacer lift and underbody protection

Platkar (work): '15 Ranger 3.2 AT 4x4 with AluCab

Soft Locker = LSD, torque bias, and similar where the locker can slip slightly or release wind-up
    Hard Locker = ARB, Kam, Ashcroft and similar where the spider gears are locked using vacuum or solenoid

The Detroit is a ratchet design than can release but it tends to affect steering if used in the front.

Jelo is spot on here Detroit can stuff your steering ability
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by ZS6HDV View Post
    There's also the Detroit TrueTrac, a limited slip diff using helical gears (not friction clutches), so it uses standard diff oil.

I have it in the front axle of my Landy, works exceptionally well for me.
    mentioned it yesterday
    Percivamus

Thanks this is helping me understand all the options.

Where would I source the Detroit Truetrac in SA?
    And does anyone know who uses it on a permanent 4WD? (ZS6HDV is your landy permanent 4WD?)
    Last edited by mic_zw; 2015/08/19 at 12:58 PM.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

http://www.difflocks4africa.co.za/Contact.html

Or import direct. Reenen just imported some lockers.
    Percivamus

Where would I source the Detroit Truetrac in SA?

(ZS6HDV is your landy permanent 4WD?)
    TAC 4x4 Traction (Polokwane I think)
    www.4x4traction.co.za

I imported mine directly, but the shipping and duties made it much more expensive than the attractive price you see online.

The Series Landy is not permanent 4x4.

Hein
    Last edited by ZS6HDV; 2015/08/19 at 01:02 PM.
    Gandalf: '77 Series III 109" SW (He's old, he's grey, he smokes, but on an adventure you want him as companion...)
    HF, VHF, UHF
    Detroit Locker rear, Truetrac LSD front
    Hardened valve seat ULP conversion
    British cut cam shaft
    VW carb conversion, electric fuel pump
    G-Tech Electronic Ignition
    Hankook M/T 235/85/16

Frodo: '12 Jimny (SWAMBO)
    Stofpad spacer lift and underbody protection

Platkar (work): '15 Ranger 3.2 AT 4x4 with AluCab

My final decision on this after some research:

• The automatic lockers (i.e. Detroit and Aussie Locker) will inhibit steering AND have an annoying ratcheting sound AND I'm not convinced a permanent 4WD vehicle can use them.
      (I have also been rather disappointed with the ability of some of the people that sell them to give unbiased and complete advice to people like myself who don't fully understand them - but that goes with a lot of products)

• The select-able lockers are the way to go as I can manually select them when I want to (i.e. ARB air locker or the TJM air locker and the Harrop E Locker). The Harrop E Locker isn't brought into the country (apparently) because of cost and the ARB product is but it costs almost R30k to buy and fit!

So, for now, I shall give up on my quest for a front locker.
    As XJJ said, you don't really need one anyway.
    Last edited by mic_zw; 2015/08/20 at 11:53 AM.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

What front diff is used on the Paj? Proprietary Mitsu or a copy of something else?
    Percivamus

For those that may be interested, here is what I have found to be perhaps a better option than the ARB product:
    https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/4x4-performance/elocker

However:
    • Apparently not imported into SA
    • Apparently not made for a Pajero
    • Not an air/pneumatic system like ARB or TJM options which is probably a good thing
    • Will likely be just as expensive as the ARB air locker to buy and fit if you could get it here.
    Last edited by mic_zw; 2015/08/20 at 11:58 AM.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

What front diff is used on the Paj? Proprietary Mitsu or a copy of something else?
    Have no idea. Quick internet search didn't help either. I assume Mitsu tech...
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast