Motorcycle suggestions - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Currently I ride with a Schuberth S2 and will replace with the same or its update when I need to. I understand that they make the BMW helmets (or used to) so a good recommendation.

Lots of very good helmets available so try them on to help you decide - this is one place not to save pennies. I like Schuberth, Arai and Shoei but there are others; go look carefully.

And oh yes, nice choice of bike; you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greeff View Post
    And oh yes, nice choice of bike; you won't regret it.
    Thank you :P Now I just need to find one that did not do 42 000km in one and a half years :P

Perfect, thank you guys, will look at the Shark Evoline 3 and Schuberth S2...

Right, while we are making suggestions I need your help! Either a 2013 gs 1200 liquid cooled with 20 000km on the clock or 2012 gs 1200 air cooled with 8500km? Small price difference but my main concern is the air vs liquid cooled, any thoughts or user reviews?

Alwyn,

I'm on your second option, the 2012 air cooled and I'm sitting at about 33000km. I've loved every one of those 33k; this bike delivers to my every need - dirt, touring, city, whatever I ask it to do. It delivers everything I can use and then some; in the power stakes, the comfort stakes, the riding stakes, the maneuverability stakes. I just never felt that the price of upgrading warranted what I would get over and above what I already have.

However, I've spoken to several guys on the LC and they can't speak highly enough of it. Rave reviews by and large but I can't really comment there.

As always, bottom line, go and ride them yourself and decide what suits you best. You don't mention a price but the bikes you mention, I know, and neither has a mileage to be concerned about.

What a nice predicament - you can't go wrong either way. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the reply Mark!

The reason I'm asking is someone mentioned to me that the first LC's (2013) that came out had some problems with the liquid cooling... The person also mentioned he will not buy a 2013 LC but I should rather look at the 2015 one's as some issues have been fixed... How true the statement is I do not know...

When we talk price, both are around the 130K mark...

Alwyn, if you look at the 2013 GS lc, get one with the steering damper. It's much like the Fortuner debate, but there was talk that the first ones without the damper suffered handling issues. Some also say that there was changes made to the gearbox between the early 2013 to late 2013 models.

As far as die lc vs wc issue, I agree with Mike. Go ride both. To me they are chaulk and cheese with the lc being much more refined. The wc prices also seen a bit of a drop when the new ones arrived. There are a couple of them in the market so you should be able to get one for fairly cheaper than a lc.

As for helmets.... I have a shark s900 and a Shoei gt air. The Shoei is a much quiter helmet, with better ventilation and also has the drop down visor. If you go for a plain white color, the price drop by around R1000.

The shark is much more noisy and therefore I only use it to commute, but I had someone with the exact same helmets tell me it's the other way round in his experience, so I think it depends on the shape of your head.

I'm still weary on the flip up type helmets with regard to safety, but I would suggest do some read up on your helmet shortlist on sharp.org.uk
    Fortuner 4.0v6 Auto - Awaiting new adventures (Summit4x4 Replacement B/Bar, Stofpad Bashplate, Gerbers LR tank(50l),Frontrunner towbar, Stonehill seat covers. Grabber AT's)
    Golf vii GTi DSG - (SWAMBO's new fly machine)
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Honda NC700x White - RIP
    Honda NC700x Silver - Saving the budget

The early 2013 LC models had spec differences. With speedo cruise or not. With LED headlights or not. NO steering dampers and cannot be fitted aftermarket. Dampers only came with the 2014 models which were also full spec. Try finding a LC 2014 onwards model. You will not be disappointed.
    Why settle for old style while modern is available at close to same price.
    That said, Trudie rides a 2014 LC and I still a 2012 Adv oilcooled. Only because it it still too good to replace. When time come definitely a LCADV.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Thank for the replies, much appreciated!!

@Tp007, right that was the tipe of info I was looking for, so ask if the model has a steering damper, check! Yes there seems to be a few in the market currently but all of them with with 35k or over km's... Not being picky... not wait, I am picky As for the helmets the I will definitely look at those two options, thank you.

@JohanMaree, perfect will ask all those questions before I buy. I agree with your statement on the why settle for old technology when there is newer versions available... I just wanted to make sure the never 'technology' bikes are actaully better

Thank you everyone for the replies, making the hunt for the perfect bike even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn Swart View Post
    Thank for the replies, much appreciated!!

@Tp007, right that was the tipe of info I was looking for, so ask if the model has a steering damper, check! Yes there seems to be a few in the market currently but all of them with with 35k or over km's... Not being picky... not wait, I am picky As for the helmets the I will definitely look at those two options, thank you.

@JohanMaree, perfect will ask all those questions before I buy. I agree with your statement on the why settle for old technology when there is newer versions available... I just wanted to make sure the never 'technology' bikes are actaully better

Thank you everyone for the replies, making the hunt for the perfect bike even better!!
    Apparently BMW had huge discounts at the last Motorrad weekend. You may want toe wait for the next one and buy brand new
    Fortuner 4.0v6 Auto - Awaiting new adventures (Summit4x4 Replacement B/Bar, Stofpad Bashplate, Gerbers LR tank(50l),Frontrunner towbar, Stonehill seat covers. Grabber AT's)
    Golf vii GTi DSG - (SWAMBO's new fly machine)
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Honda NC700x White - RIP
    Honda NC700x Silver - Saving the budget

Default Re: Motorcycle suggestions

Good day guys,

So I'm reviving this thread for the purpose of updating you guys on my current situation... I have done my learners and booked my drivers for the 27th of Jan 2016.
    How did 27 Jan go Alwyn?

I still thank my parents for saying to me when I was 18, "If you're going to keep on riding, do it properly - do the courses, get the licence."

How did 27 Jan go Alwyn?

I still thank my parents for saying to me when I was 18, "If you're going to keep on riding, do it properly - do the courses, get the licence."

My mother came to me at my 21st saying "I didn't think you would get this old!"

How did 27 Jan go Alwyn?

Good day Mike,

Been a while since I made a post, for the sake of you showing interest here it goes

Passed first time doing the drivers, was a bit nervous but the lady traffic cop at Milnerton Traffic Department was very nice, cannot remember her name...

In the meanwhile I also did a day off-road training, they call it level 1 off-road training, via BMW Motorcycle Club. Was very nice and helped with the confidence on the 1200 GS.

Also booked my first day trip in July to Sutherland, going to be off-road (beginner) and also via BMW Motorcycle Club.

All and all a successful experience so far...

oh and I ended up buying a BMW GS 1200 LC 2015 model with 10 000km on the clock...

oh and I ended up buying a BMW GS 1200 LC 2015 model with 10 000km on the clock...
    I like!!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Well done Alwyn, all round and great choice of bike - you won't regret it.

When next I head that way I'll give you a shout. Go do some twisties and some dirt..

Time now for a few photos and then you can hit Wild at Heart. Before and after pics.

Okay let's see what we can do about some pictures...

Right a few pictures (see attached) from two weekends ago when my wife and I did a light gravel road drive at the Paarl Rock Reserve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160427-WA0022.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	402278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160427-WA0012.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	402279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160427-WA0024.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	402280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160427-WA0009.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	402281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160427-WA0023.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	402282  

Well done! That looks so flipping good and a thing of beauty (the bike, not you Alwyn) being used for its intended purpose. Good stuff! Just don't stop now.

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast