RSA to Kenya and back for newbie

Default RSA to Kenya and back for newbie

About a year ago, I met some great friends on the 4x4 forum and we did a fabulous trip through RSA and Namibia. I continued on for another month or so through Botswana, Zim and back to RSA.

This year, I arrive in November (possibly not the best month, but oh well.) I plan on taking a drive up through Zambia, SLNP, perhaps NLNP, then on to Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya and back. I figure it will take at least a couple of months.

So I am reintroducing myself to see if anyone might be going this way? I am a 63 year old American. Learned to drive a 4x4 from the best in RSA. After 20,000 kms I am comfortable, but there is always more to learn and enjoy, traveling with others.

Any recommendations on road conditions, what to see, etc. Can I go all the way to Lake Tana?

Thanks and see you on the road.

David

Welcome David, enjoy!

Hi David,
    One of the forum members is currently doing a similar trip with his wife. They are in their third month already.
    He has compiled a fantastically detailed blog of his trip so far. Look for 'slowdonkey dot com'

Cheers
    Andre

Fantastic. I will look up their blog. This forum is so full of helpful information. I never worry. Thanks to all.

David

I'm driving from SA back to here-Kenya, at the beginning of Sept,pm me your contact details and I'll keep in touch?
    A legend in his own mind

Man I'd love to a trip like that!
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Keep the forum posted if possible.
    To argue with a person that has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

You may need more time to do all these countries,
    we needed 5 month and only went up to Kenya.

Zambia: don't miss NLNP, Kafue, Kasanka, Kapishiya. Chimfunshi is a must have been.
    Kenya: don't miss Amboseli, both Tsavos, Lake Nakuru and of course Masai Mara.
    Tanzania: don't miss Ruaha, Arusha NP, Tarangire, Lake Manyara and of course Serengeti.

You are absolutely right that it will probably take longer. I have until mid February, 2016 to complete this trip. I hope that is enough time. I guess that is more like 5 months. I would like to tour RSA some, but it would be easier to do, with surfaced roads, fuel and grocery stores. And fantastic people.

I appreciate the reminder of places to see. I have Mikumi and Ruaha, but the others I didn't really think about much. Many are on the list, but weather and road conditions may play some role in what I can do. I have read NLNP is pretty much off limits without a safari.

I'll keep in touch with the community, so I can receive all the help I will need to make it the best.