Default Advise on aftermarket suspension for Prado 150 TX

I need some advice in choosing an suspension system for my Prado. I already have Firestone Airhelpers in the rear coils, but on a recent trip to Botswana, I realised that I need something more.

The Prado is fitted with a Thule towbar and I was battling with the nose of my Xplorer on the middelmannetjies in Moremi - even with the bags inflated to 2.8 bar (I know its over the limit) the nose of the caravan remained in a "nose down attitude" and kept digging in resulting in 2 tows! Granted, the caravan was loaded to capacity and so was the Prado with 4 occupants, a fully loaded 80L Engel in the back along with 4 ammo crates and 80L of water and 3 ammo crates on the roofrack and about 3/4 tank of fuel - so it was by no means light.

I am looking for a system that will give me some lift so that the nose of the caravan stands higher (but not so much that it looks zeff), that will handle the load better and keep the caravan's nose more level as opposed to a nose down attitude but that will still offer me a comfortable drive as the car is my daily runner as well.

I have looked at OME, Ironman, TJM, XJS, Tough Dog etc but seriously have no idea which one to go for and each dealership tells you their product is the best. SO, in a nutshell- from those with experience in this - which suspension would you recommend for my requirements and why. I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest option but for the most suitable.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by EVH; 2015/08/13 at 03:08 PM.
    2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 4.0 TX
    2007 Toyota Land Cruiser VX100 4.2TD
    2009 Jurgens Xplorer Anniversary Ed No.144

Start with raising the tow hitch??
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Start with raising the tow hitch??
    The Thule bar / ball itself cannot be raised. It will mean that I need to fit another tow bar system - but even the original Bosal one hangs very low - in fact, that looks like a plough

You can take the airhelpers that fits in the Prado 150 to 7 bar. They are not the normal bag types. They are called "sleeve over" or something like that.

Crawl under your car and you will see.

But if you want to go aftermarket, I believe EFS is the way to go. It works well in the FJ's. OME apparently gives a very hard ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado airlifts 1.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	360808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado airlifts 2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	360809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado airlifts top.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	360810  
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2015/08/13 at 05:03 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Hi. I have the red ones in. They can only go to 2.5. Are yours also the fire stones?

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    You can take the airhelpers that fits in the Prado 150 to 7 bar. They are not the normal bag types. They are called "sleeve over" or something like that.

Crawl under your car and you will see.

But if you want to go aftermarket, I believe EFS is the way to go. It works well in the FJ's. OME apparently gives a very hard ride.
    These are mine iClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439479845172.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	360811

Old Man Emu is great. Also look at a spacer on front suspension.
    2015 Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6
    Jurgens XT 140
    Garmin, National Luna, Howlingmoon, Tenco, OzTent, OzTrail, Scott, Canon, Melville & Moon

Yep, Firestones.

But I see your Prado is older than mine. When I did my airhelpers they have discontinued the bag ones and only the one's I have were available.

Had the bags in another vehicle. They don't lift the vehicle, just prevent some sag.
    Christa

I have EFS on my TX, a few teething problems with noisey rear shock dust covers, but sorted out and happy overall. Just make sure with the extra lift it still clears the garage....mine didn't and now sleeps under carport.

Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    I need some advice in choosing an suspension system for my Prado. I already have Firestone Airhelpers in the rear coils, but on a recent trip to Botswana, I realised that I need something more.

The Prado is fitted with a Thule towbar and I was battling with the nose of my Xplorer on the middelmannetjies in Moremi - even with the bags inflated to 2.8 bar (I know its over the limit) the nose of the caravan remained in a "nose down attitude" and kept digging in resulting in 2 tows! Granted, the caravan was loaded to capacity and so was the Prado with 4 occupants, a fully loaded 80L Engel in the back along with 4 ammo crates and 80L of water and 3 ammo crates on the roofrack and about 3/4 tank of fuel - so it was by no means light.

I am looking for a system that will give me some lift so that the nose of the caravan stands higher (but not so much that it looks zeff), that will handle the load better and keep the caravan's nose more level as opposed to a nose down attitude but that will still offer me a comfortable drive as the car is my daily runner as well.

I have looked at OME, Ironman, TJM, XJS, Tough Dog etc but seriously have no idea which one to go for and each dealership tells you their product is the best. SO, in a nutshell- from those with experience in this - which suspension would you recommend for my requirements and why. I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest option but for the most suitable.

Thanks in advance for your input.

After extensive research I went for OME on my TX . Was the best upgrade ever . I tow a Conqueror Companion . Have done the Botswana thing and it stayed level behind my TX . Towed an HJ 45 on trailer this weekend , weighed 1.9 tons . Will post a pick of this .
    I traded the TX in on a VX and removed the OME suspension . It's for sale if you're interested PM me . Done about 40000km .

Default OME under load .

The TX with OME under load .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OT, if I may

@ Witrug and Sparewheel: what lift did you get respectively with the OME and EFS.

For me it will be a toss up between those two brands should I ever upgrade suspension.
    Christa

OT, if I may

@ Witrug and Sparewheel: what lift did you get respectively with the OME and EFS.

For me it will be a toss up between those two brands should I ever upgrade suspension.
    50mm Lift .

OT, if I may

According to Safari Centre EFS gives 400mm.

Yes, that what they more or less told me as well. But claimed lift and actual lift sometime vary

I don't want to go more that 50mm MAX. Been there, bought the t-shirt.
    Christa

I watched a show on TV last year on the new Autograph4x4 company that Andrew St Pierre White started. He equipped a TX with some nice toys and I remember he mentioned the suspension they fitted was one of the best he has ever tested. Maybe contact them and get more details, http://www.autograph4x4.com/autograp.../Prado_TX.html
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

Default Re: Advise on aftermarket suspension for Prado 150 TX

Hi there - just some follow up on this post - I placed an order for OME and will fit the medium kit next week along with some Air Bellows in the rear. Being done by Safari Centre Durban. I will report back once fitted.

Cheers
    Erik

Default Re: Advise on aftermarket suspension for Prado 150 TX

Sorry but this may be a bit late now, after lots of research i had some coils made up by springrite in new germany, theyy are made from 3mm thicker steel than the original. I have also fitted 22mm Nylatron spacers on the front. Shocks are original Toyota stuff. End result is a very comfortable ride unladen and not much drop with all our gear loaded. Fridge,tents ect... My ride heights are as follows, unladen .Measured from the lowerst part on the rim . Front 80Cm back 83.5cm. For just on R1150 excluding labour. Im pretty happy.

Question Re: Advise on aftermarket suspension for Prado 150 TX

Hi

This was posted some time ago, what would my current options be for an upgrade on a 2015/16 TX? Will be towing a trailer.