CTEK D250S Dual installation

Default CTEK D250S Dual installation

I am busy installing a D250S Dual CTEK charger into my Disco3 for the charging of an auxiliary battery. (No solar panel at this stage). The wiring is pretty simple and the User Manual provides a diagram and a guide to wire sizes. There is, however, no mention of fuses. Is it recommended to fit fuses and, if so, where and what capacities. Thanks in advance, Don

I would think a 20A should do it.
    What a life!

20A between main battery and Ctek. No fuse between Ctek and aux battery. 10A between aux battery and fridge (or whatever).
    Last edited by Makaira; 2015/08/13 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks, Don

I have a breaker between main battery and Ctek, as well as between second battery and Ctek. The Ctek has its own protection, but the second battery will still provide power to a short between it and the Ctek, even if the Ctek fused..
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8

http://www.roughingit.co.za/

30A according to the manual
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Discovery 2 V8 XS
    Range Rover Sport SDV8

OK, so that sorts out the fuses. Thanks for the advice. Today I want to connect onto the car's starter battery. Connecting onto the positive terminal is no problem as there's an unused 8mm threaded hole on the terminal which is ideal. The negative battery post, on the other hand, has nowhere to connect to with just the conical clamping terminal on the battery into which the earth cable is attached. This cable leads a short distance behind the fuse box to where it is attached to the inside of the left front fender. It looks almost impossible to access that point without first removing the fuse box which I wouldn't like to disturb.

Can anyone advise where the best place is to pick up a good earth connection.

Thanks in advance, Don

Don fit the temperature sensor outside the engine compartment, mine was originally fitted on top of the 2nd battery and it would stop charging when the temp in the engine compartment reached 55C. I lead it outside above the headlamp, now charges properly.
    I also had 3 experiences of the CTEK seeming to "forget" or not register the load on the second battery, result it is flat within 2 days but after about 7 days on a trip would start picking up. I would run the fridge off the car battery till it "woke" up and started to charge.
    This is IMHO as I cannot get an explanation from anyone, not even the agent. Johan of 4x4 megaworld in Windhoek was very helpful with various tests we did. I now put my fridge into the car at least 7 days before I leave, turn it on to cool and after a day or two the CTEK seems to pick up the second fridge drawing and then works perfectly. Do not freeze before hand and put the fridge in frozen off 220 volts, it seems it must cool itself to get the CTEK charging. This is my experience and it has happened a couple of times so I regard it as the norm.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Hi PWGG. Thanks for the useful tips. Are you possibly able to help regarding my question on a spot to earth the system.

Don as far as I know you can earth anywere there is metal. Clean up the surface and bolt it to the body/chassis. Check with an auto elec, Discos are other animals when it comes to what is conventional.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Thanks again for your reply. Now that I've taken a better look I see that there are a number of points where studs are welded to the body for earthing purposes, some behind the plastic trim inside the cab which makes earthing easy. So that solves the earthing problem. Right now I'm trying to get the trim panel below the steering wheel off without breaking any clips.

Hi Don re trim panel below steering

A very firm pull towards you from the TOP ( wheel side) will do the trick, you have to metal type clips at the top and two plastic hinges at the bottom.

So you would pull from the top to release the clips and lift the panel out of the plastic hinges. .. To remove
    Hope I'm making sense

Jc
    2009 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE (his)
    Izmir Blue

2012 Audi S3 (hers)
    Brilliant Red

Hi Jaques. Thanks for your help and description. It worked. The panel is off. Regards, Don

Default CTEK D250S Dual installation

Hi, I am looking at installing a D250S unit as I have lost two dead cycle batteries in two years. Hope it solves my problem. The question I have as I cannot seem to see it anywhere but does the unit come with an internal display unit?

I find Bushpower the cheapest? Any recommendations for installation around Pta?
    Last edited by Land Cruiser; 2015/09/06 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    Admin removed

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Don fit the temperature sensor outside the engine compartment, mine was originally fitted on top of the 2nd battery and it would stop charging when the temp in the engine compartment reached 55C. I lead it outside above the headlamp, now charges properly.
    I also had 3 experiences of the CTEK seeming to "forget" or not register the load on the second battery, result it is flat within 2 days but after about 7 days on a trip would start picking up. I would run the fridge off the car battery till it "woke" up and started to charge.
    This is definitely not right. It should charge as soon as the you start the vehicle. If the second battery is full it must still charge, although not at 20 amps.

My ctek sits under the bonnet with the sensor on top of the battery, which is in front of the engine bay , never had any issues, sitting there now for maybe 5 years, and several trips.

I use the NL battery monitor on both batteries.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    This is IMHO as I cannot get an explanation from anyone, not even the agent. Johan of 4x4 megaworld in Windhoek was very helpful with various tests we did. I now put my fridge into the car at least 7 days before I leave, turn it on to cool and after a day or two the CTEK seems to pick up the second fridge drawing and then works perfectly. Do not freeze before hand and put the fridge in frozen off 220 volts, it seems it must cool itself to get the CTEK charging. This is my experience and it has happened a couple of times so I regard it as the norm.
    EEK.

Bit late right now for an explanation right now, but your post seriously needs one.

Some VERY dangerous advise here.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....