Can a RAV4 handle the sandy roads of Botswana? - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farquart View Post
    I would not do it with an Xtrail, RAV4 or Duster. Jimny I would probably try and make it.
    What's the ground clearance on the vehicle you used?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    What's the ground clearance on the vehicle you used?
    Have no idea. Can go measure tonight, but the Pathfinder has 25mm spacers in front, jacked with airbags at the back and bigger tyres. I would guess 40mm+ from standard. Even so I could see how I table-topped the middelmannetjie in places.

Have no idea. Can go measure tonight, but the Pathfinder has 25mm spacers in front, jacked with airbags at the back and bigger tyres. I would guess 40mm+ from standard. Even so I could see how I table-topped the middelmannetjie in places.
    Yours sounds pretty well cleared then. I checked the RAV4 specs & it has 187mm, which is quite low. The Pathfinder is listed as even lower, which doesn't look right. As a matter of interest, the Xtrail & Duster are both 210mm which is quite respectable when compared to what's available on the market, even on bigger vehicles.

Yours sounds pretty well cleared then. I checked the RAV4 specs & it has 187mm, which is quite low. The Pathfinder is listed as even lower, which doesn't look right. As a matter of interest, the Xtrail & Duster are both 210mm which is quite respectable when compared to what's available on the market, even on bigger vehicles.
    Something seems weird there?

Something seems weird there?
    That's what I thought. A Pathfinder can't be lower than a RAV4 or the others mentioned. I'll check a few more sites.

Ek sal nie met n RAV 4 gaan nie dit is te lag as jy begin sand ry en die middle man is dan te hoog .En veral as jy gelaai is of sleep
    Jy gaan net die jou voertuig beskadig.Daar is wel baie plekke wat jy kan besoek daar met die RAV 4

210mm unloaded!

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    210mm unloaded!
    That sounds more accurate. Its the same as a Duster or Xtrail

Here they have it at 165mm. It's an Aussie site & thinks there's a new Pathfinder over there.

http://m.nissan.com.au/Cars-Vehicles...inder/ST-L-4WD

Default Ground clearance

I have already decided to take of the plastic covers which makes a huge difference. Then give the car good cleaning session at a mechanic when I come back. Can that work better?

What year model is the RAV

No, it will not make difference. You will get stuck and ruin your holiday. Does your vehicle have traction control or stability control? If so, can you switch it off?

Yes it does have trac control and it can be switch off

Quote Originally Posted by mdevilliers View Post
    Yes it does have trac control and it can be switch off
    Probably not completely. It has a centre lock & LSD rear?

My swaer het verlede jaar April saam met my deur Botswana getoer met sy Rav4. Die toer was van Khama, Khubu, Moremi (3de Brug), Savuti, Ihaha, Kasane, Nxai panne, en terug.

Ek moes hom 5 keer uitsleep. Dit het hom R4500 gekos om die Rav weer regtemaak. Dit sluit die plat uitlaat pyp uit. Die moet nog vervang word.

The cleaners at Nxai pans use an old Rav4. Quite a sight seeing them tackle the thick sand.

Not really a brilliant idea.!! Yes you can do it with sand driving practice,recovery equipment and care with tire pressures.However you should go with at least two vehicles.The one ideally a proper 4 X 4 with low range.
    Getting permanently stuck in the middle of absolutely nowhere is not fun.Take a satelite phone!!

Hi m,

I've uploaded a proper tyre calculator here: http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=4372, but has made some assumptions as to your RAV tyre parameters and calculated that if the tyres are deflated from 2.2 bar pressure to 1.2 bar - you may need to go even lower, e.g. in the Namib we ran 0,8 bar, sometimes 0,6 - you lose 13mm in clearance.

I assumed the following: 215/65 R16, 7J rim, Load rating 103, Speed rating H.

You can use this calculator yourself, but if you post your actual parameters above - also the air pressure at which the standard clearance is measured - I'll rerun it for you, also including a 0,8 bar value.

In a post from the distant past, I explained that some manufacturers inflate the tyres to 3 bar in order to artificially arrive at a better brochure clearance. So do not use that value - measure it.

From Namib experience with a 2001 Forester, I would not go if the nominal clearance is not at least 205mm, typically deflating to 190mm at 0,8 bar.

I'm guessing that in standard form, the RAV won't be scraping the middelmannetjie - it would be grading it.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2015/08/17 at 09:10 AM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

About 2 years ago I stumbled upon a Duster from South Gate to Third Bridge pulling a very small trailer. This guy was very peed off with how the 4X4 people churning up the road and so that he cannot drive in it. he had to gun it all the way and got stuck about 5 times and every time a good Samaritan pass by to extricate them from the sand or from the top of the " middelmannetjie".
    we also saw a guy with a ML320 at Third Bridge and they were going to Xaxanaxa the next day, thought they were travelling in a group with other vehicles to assist.

So, yes, you can do it with possible difficulty and with assistance. Do not go it alone in real thick sand in a RAV4 though.
    Prado 120 V6
    www.optoer.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Lock View Post
    A friend of mine did Kubu and Moremi with us in the wet season ( December ) in a Jimny. Never got stuck. I would recommend that you must be at least 2 vehicles. Just in case.

The Jimny is a proper 4x4 not so? It also has a solid axle up front I think? So probably able to out do a lot of the "big" 4x4's Im sure.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast