Can a RAV4 handle the sandy roads of Botswana?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Smile Can a RAV4 handle the sandy roads of Botswana?

Hi

Don't know if I will get any response ... for questions on a RAV4.

I am aware that it is a wannabe 4x4, (but beggars can not be choosers), but want to know of any of the experienced 4x4 members have ever tested a RAV4 to see what it is capable of?

I am just planning to drive sandy areas and I feel at ease with the control that I get with the diff lock and tracking control.

Any one to agree or disagree. I want to take the RAV up to Botswana in the dry season.

Mavis

I drive a softie as well and will be the first to say , yes, you can do it , but just remember one thing , normally when you get to a place or situation where you need low range and clearance , you will be so far away and so deep into the bush where you will either damage your vehicle or have to rely heavily on your travel companions.

I love my softie to bits but i know it cannot and will not take the same hammering a real 4x4 will take for days on end

Yoy do not mention which model ? the older one , not the 2013+ , will take a lot more hammering than the new ones. drove that quite extensively in the Namib dunes and it was not bad at all

Which parts of Bots sands you want tuckle?

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

A friend of mine did Kubu and Moremi with us in the wet season ( December ) in a Jimny. Never got stuck. I would recommend that you must be at least 2 vehicles. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Which parts of Bots sands you want tuckle?

That is the question.

Where do you want to go? Do you tow? Are you solo? How well equipped are you for self recovery?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by mdevilliers View Post
    Hi Don't know if I will get any response ... for questions on a RAV4. I am aware that it is a wannabe 4x4, (but beggars can not be choosers), but want to know of any of the experienced 4x4 members have ever tested a RAV4 to see what it is capable of? I am just planning to drive sandy areas and I feel at ease with the control that I get with the diff lock and tracking control. Any one to agree or disagree. I want to take the RAV up to Botswana in the dry season. Mavis
    It's not wether it can or can't, rav 4 are quite capable, the issue is the amount of crud you haul along.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

The simple answer is NO. You can do all the main roads in a RAV, but don't even think of doing any serious stuff like CKGR, Moremi, Savuti, Chobe etc unless you have a Big Brother with low range with you.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/08/11 at 12:15 AM.

check out trip reports in a terios, below
    but agree re the safety concerns wrt mud driving and needing another vehicle if you are going into remote places.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...is#post1324090

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...is#post1467467

Robin
    2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D ID D/C P/U
    Kitted out and ready for an African safari....

Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they did not stop to enjoy it....

I wouldnt do it in a RAV4. Some places the sand is just too thick and the middelmannetjie too high. Years ago I had to tow a RAV4 out of moremi with my SFA Hilux because he just continued to get stuck meter after meter.

You will either have a very shiny exhaust where it goes under the diff of NO pipe at all. NO I would not.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Not going to make it here in Savuti,the sand is just too deep at the moment and supply trucks make it worse with their wider wheel base .

Rather adjust your trip and route plans so that you only drive on tar, earlyer this year we did a Bots trip where we only drove tar and normal gravvel roads because some people in the group had 4x2's and softroaders, that trip was even doable with a platkar. You can still reach very beutiful places in Bots without having to drive sand or rough stuff.

Bigboy where?

"You can still reach very beutiful places in Bots without having to drive sand or rough stuff."

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Lock View Post
    A friend of mine did Kubu and Moremi with us in the wet season ( December ) in a Jimny. Never got stuck. I would recommend that you must be at least 2 vehicles. Just in case.
    Don't underestimate a Jimny. Miles better than a RAV when it comes to driving off road. Not even in the same ballpark. Only downside to a Jimny is how little you can take with you and some would argue that's a feature.

The Rav in Botswana will lead to damage, regrets or inconvenience. I would reconsider or stick to known good roads.
    Dewald

I think you will be able to do CKGR during the dry season entering and exiting Matswere gate. Only a small portion of deep sand along the way. The middelmannetjies is not that high but I will however not go alone and without a real off-roader in the group
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreTunie For This Useful Post:

sorry to hijack...what about a duster

Thanks for all the responses.

I have a few things too consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Bigboy where?

"You can still reach very beutiful places in Bots without having to drive sand or rough stuff."

Kang, Maun, Shakawe, Kasane all reachable by tar roads, very nice camping sites and lodges around those reachable by a bit of gravvel road. The only time the entire trip where we had to use 4x4 was through some thick sand but that was in the Kaprivi for about 20 km.

I would not do it with an Xtrail, RAV4 or Duster. Jimny I would probably try and make it. Just from my trip to Mababe from Maun, all OK until you get to the seasonal detour. If you walk it, you would most probably take the right road and get through. If, like me, you just take the one "most" traveled, you will get your softie stuck on a middelmannetjie. I took the wrong route, as there are 3 to choose from, on the way there with the caravan behind me and almost did not make it. Later on, and wiser, I found an easy route through.

This time of year you never know if there is an seasonal detour, which most probably is a deeply rutted sand road.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast