Can a RAV4 handle the sandy roads of Botswana? - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    It had been done already without damage apperantly.... http://wegryforum.weg.co.za/threads/...sdeur-Botswana
    But reading this thread, it's apparently been done by a couple of RAV4's too.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    But reading this thread, it's apparently been done by a couple of RAV4's too.
    Missed any reference to a Rav? Edit: Oh you mean in this thread. I also been to bots in Jimny, but you get tougher parts. Savuti, Chobe and cut lines are much worse than Khutse etc.... imho.

I'd say they had been through some of the tough stuff Bots had to offer, eg Kgalagadi, Chobe, Savuti and some cut lines. They struggled in some of it but made it. So was just saying Jimny had already done it, whereas there are other reports on here (this thread) where there was damage to a RAV and had to be recovered numerous times. But I may be bias...
    Last edited by New; 2015/08/17 at 02:45 PM.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

So what would you say sets the Jimny apart?
    You can effectively raise and modify it to suit the terrain. The other real softies does not have that luxury.

Maybe the Jimny club should invite the Duster, RAV4 etc guys to a day at Hennops so they can see where the line should be drawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farquart View Post
    You can effectively raise and modify it to suit the terrain. The other real softies does not have that luxury. Maybe the Jimny club should invite the Duster, RAV4 etc guys to a day at Hennops so they can see where the line should be drawn?
    Ah, so not standard then :-)

They can rather come to Cape Town where we have proper sand & mountains :-).

From the evidence of where some of these Ravs have been, it looks entirely plausible that they can do quite a lot. I'm not a Toyota fan but I believe in giving credit where it's due, especially when comparing a RAV to a Jimny.

The default argument by many is that the Jimny has low range so it's automatically better than something without low range. A tractor has low range but they are slow & not particularly good for the task at hand.

Even without low range, I see that a diesel RAV makes around 340Nm. So even with the transfer case in the Jimny doubling up, it's torque will only go from 110Nm to just over 200 Nm. That's not a lot. It's got weight on its side but considering the discussion is over landing through sand, the Jimny doesn't do well when loaded. For simply driving sand roads, the Ravs torque should cope just fine with just a centre lock. You don't need articulation in sand either.
    Ground clearances are identical at about 190 mm.

So I fail to see why a Jimny would be considered better?

From the evidence of where some of these Ravs have been, it looks entirely plausible that they can do quite a lot. I'm not a Toyota fan but I believe in giving credit where it's due, especially when comparing a RAV to a Jimny.

The default argument by many is that the Jimny has low range so it's automatically better than something without low range. A tractor has low range but they are slow & not particularly good for the task at hand.

Even without low range, I see that a diesel RAV makes around 340Nm. So even with the transfer case in the Jimny doubling up, it's torque will only go from 110Nm to just over 200 Nm. That's not a lot. It's got weight on its side but considering the discussion is over landing through sand, the Jimny doesn't do well when loaded. For simply driving sand roads, the Ravs torque should cope just fine with just a centre lock. You don't need articulation in sand either.
    Ground clearances are identical at about 190 mm.

So I fail to see why a Jimny would be considered better?

Defender of the Soft Roaders! My cousin has gone to Tanzania a few times, in his very old RAV4 and then goes into the very deep bush in search of snakes. So where there is a will there is a way....

Out of personal experience, even a fully laden Jimny comes close to floating on sand. Lower gearing helps as well if needed. Also not to concerned over bumps from under due to tough underpinnings, and that I believe is probably the biggest difference....
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Defender of the Soft Roaders!....
    To me, anything without 2x solid axles & gets more than 5km/L is a softroader. I'm just looking at the logic.

Ah, so not standard then :-)

They can rather come to Cape Town where we have proper sand & mountains :-).
    Nobody said standard. You can't do much to any of the others methinks, but the Jimny you can.

Nobody said standard. You can't do much to any of the others methinks, but the Jimny you can.
    That's true.

I'll tell you this much. If someone wants to join my overland/4x4 group to this area in a softroader, I would say no. Jimny excluded, as it is not a softie. But to knowingly and intentionally spoil my trip with getting stuck unnecessarily is not cricket. Going at it alone and then spoiling other people's holidays who HAVE to tow you off the middelmannetjie is also not on. A 4x4 guy will stop to help, that is how we are. But you should feel ashamed that you put him in that position in the first place by not accepting the limitations of you vehicle.

Please heed the warnings here and don't do it. Not necessarily directed at the OP, but to anyone following or coming across this thread in future.
    Well said +1000
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

The big difference between jimny and soft roaders is the solid axels. Load a jimny with gear and the lowest point is still the diff. Hit a bump in the road and the lowest point is still the diff. Not to mention the better articulation!

Load a soft roader and suddenly its clearance starts dropping because the body drops down. Hit a bump and the underside of the car claps the ground. And there is no articulation!

So they may be the same clearance unloaded but the softie will be at a disadvantage offroad.
    Last edited by whatyamacallit; 2015/08/18 at 07:29 AM.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2010 jimny - sold what a 4x4
    2001 colt V6 - sold (drinker)

Quote Originally Posted by whatyamacallit View Post
    The big difference between jimny and ALL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION VEHICLES is the solid axels. Load a jimny with gear and the lowest point is still the diff. Hit a bump in the road and the lowest point is still the diff. Not to mention the better articulation!

Load a I.S. VEHICLE and suddenly its clearance starts dropping because the body drops down. Hit a bump and the underside of the car claps the ground. And there is no articulation!

So they may be the same clearance unloaded but the I.S. VEHICLE will be at a disadvantage offroad.
    fixed.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

So for interest sake im going to compare the power output of the jimny versus the duster in off road conditions.

Jimny weight -1060kg
    duster 1.5diesel weight -1288kg

jimny power -63 kw
    duster 1.5diesel -80kw

jimny 110nm but has 2:1 low range so -220nm (+-)
    duster 1.5diesel -240nm

jimny w/kg = 59.4
    duster w/kg= 62.1

jimny nm/kg (low range)= 0.207
    duster nm/kg = 0.186

Surprise surprise!! Jimny not so underpowered after all and the cheapest too. Now compare other brands power to weight ratio and see for yourself.
    Last edited by whatyamacallit; 2015/08/18 at 08:04 AM.

Now see what we've done!

No word from the OP for THREE days, so obviously none of these discussions are helping.

I think in summary, the only concern is really lack of ground clearance when loaded with tyres deflated, running in deep tracks made by others.

Can anyone offer the OP a lift kit?

I don't know what a RAV weighs - they seem to be getting heavier with every update due to all the luxury stuff being added. But if it is somewhere between a Jimny and a Duster, with a bit of lift, it could work.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2015/08/18 at 08:33 AM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

YIP sorry gone off topic. The OP should take some recovery equipment, compressor and a spade and go enjoy his trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    fixed.
    I suppose you can go to any area with whatever you like (depending on your level of intelligence - no pun intended and referring to the OP!). It is however a question of your reason for visiting these areas; If it is to challenge your ability (or big ego) to drive (read struggle) with recovery and repairs included on roads unsuited for your vehicle, not mentioning the damage done to the already challenging road conditions, go for it and hopefully a lesson will be well learned. But.....if you go to these areas like the majority visitors (with consideration to all in their party as well as to the environment) do for the awesomeness thereof, go with a vehicle a reasonable and unselfish man will use. IMO driving machismo (or learnings) can be tested on terrains suited for it outside conservation areas.
    Last edited by AndreTunie; 2015/08/18 at 08:29 AM.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

The OP has still not told us what model it is(unless I missed it) - this makes a big difference - the earlier model is a lot better offroad than the current one - the D4D Rav is miles better than both the Duster and Jiminy in normal flatish sand, as mentioned the mm becomes a problem.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by mdevilliers View Post
    Hi

Don't know if I will get any response ... for questions on a RAV4.
    Anyone? .......Anyone?

Ignoring ground clearance for the moment: the RAV is not 4x4. The Jimny and Terios have gears transmitting torque to front and rear as far as I know, the RAV and Duster and and and have AWD. Torque to the rear axle is transmitted through some friction set-up that will get hot when too much is demanded from it. Loose sand requires permanent push from both axles.
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by BarOne View Post
    Ignoring ground clearance for the moment: the RAV is not 4x4. The Jimny and Terios have gears transmitting torque to front and rear as far as I know, the RAV and Duster and and and have AWD. Torque to the rear axle is transmitted through some friction set-up that will get hot when too much is demanded from it. Loose sand requires permanent push from both axles.
    You can lock it 50/50 - very capable in sand with 110kw and 340nm
    FJC - Just Cruising

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast