How to buy a Fortuner.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to buy a Fortuner.....

Ok.....a very silly question to some. How to buy a Fortuner. I am looking at a Fortuner to buy for my wife. Looking at the prices how on earth do people afford them? I've even questioned if I do get enough money as a salary....... Because we don't have a big bond on our house ~R4000 per month, my Jimny is cash and I pay R1375 for my wife's Alto.....we do have one kid (2 year old), spend maybe R5000 on groceries for the entire month (includes trips to Spur etc) got Old Mutual policies etc.....Now is it normal to pay R7000 - R8000 on a Fortuner? If you increase term to 6 years at 10% interest with R25 000 deposit, you can get it to R5200 per month......
    Sent from my iPhone

Perhaps a fortuner is a bit of a overkill for the wife?

What are the considerations for wanting the Fortuner?

There are many soft roaders that should most likely fulfil most needs, in the R4400 per month range (and that's without a deposit).

A rule of thumb that I stick by is that I can buy a car of 10 x my monthly gross salary. Thus if you for example get R 2000 per month, you can buy for R 20 000.

Are you thinking of buying a new fortuner? Why not either look for a decent secondhand one (but be careful, the affordable ones got in excess of 200 000km on the clock)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Ok.....a very silly question to some. How to buy a Fortuner. I am looking at a Fortuner to buy for my wife. Looking at the prices how on earth do people afford them? I've even questioned if I do get enough money as a salary....... Because we don't have a big bond on our house ~R4000 per month, my Jimny is cash and I pay R1375 for my wife's Alto.....we do have one kid (2 year old), spend maybe R5000 on groceries for the entire month (includes trips to Spur etc) got Old Mutual policies etc.....Now is it normal to pay R7000 - R8000 on a Fortuner? If you increase term to 6 years at 10% interest with R25 000 deposit, you can get it to R5200 per month......
    + add another R1k for insurance.
    トヨタ ランドクルーザー
    If it doesn't say "TOYOTA" on the grill then it probably isn't one.
    If you don't own a Cruiser you won't understand....
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4X4 AT
    ORRA call sign X224
    4x4 Action Group GP328-KZ

Quote Originally Posted by leonlieb View Post
    A rule of thumb that I stick by is that I can buy a car of 10 x my monthly gross salary. Thus if you for example get R 2000 per month, you can buy for R 20 000.

Are you thinking of buying a new fortuner? Why not either look for a decent secondhand one (but be careful, the affordable ones got in excess of 200 000km on the clock)
    Yip, saw that too. What is the "safest mileage" to buy? I reckon 90 000km.....?
    Sent from my iPhone

My 2012 3.0 DVD 4x4 i bought new costs me R8200pm and just under R600 pm to insure.
    Add about R1500 fuel and there isn't change from R10K!
    I put down about R50k deposit and took it over 5 years.
    Crazy figures.
    To argue with a person that has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Rule Number 1!!!!!! Never buy a new car, it smells nice and is all squeaky clean and very lekka, but after the first mud puddle or tiny scrape it is just like the others.

Look around, lots of places with very clean second hand cars. Don't be afraid to bargain and make an offer, they will die to sell a car and if they don't budge walk away 50% of the time they will meet you. Do the numbers, the moment you sign the deal on a new one you have just peed min R50000 against the wall, try that with the green stuff in your wallet.
    I am serious I always loved new cars, till some one told me the above, amazing bargains out there, what I like best is the look on my mate's faces when they tell you about their new car and you mention quietly that you got the same car with a few kilos on BUT saved anything from R20k to 150k.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Look around at the second hand models.

I got my late 2011 3.0 D4d ExtraCab 4x4 for R280k, with a few offroad accessories thrown in. In mint condition. Had 112000km on the clock. The dealer then included a genuine Toyota extended warranty for an additional 2 years or up to 200k km.

Had it for a year now and did just over 22 000km. Couldn't be happier. This second hand bakkie gave me less trouble than my new BT-50!

It's still a lot of money, but prices will only keep on rising.

Keep looking, there are still bargains around!
    Derik
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto Mall Crawler

2013 Ford Figo TDCi

I agree with pwgg

Rather buy a good 2nd hand one or demo

All you get with new is the smell and sometimes plastic wrappings still on certain components.

There are many really good 2nd hand vehicles out there as well as some really bad ones. Buying from a car sales place does not guarantee a good vehicle. They are experts at making vehicles look good. Its their job.

I prefer buying privately. You can always add an aftermarket warranty if the manufacturer one is about to or has lapsed.
    Most banks offer finance for private sales. Some on vehicles up to 10 years old

End of the day its your decision to make
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...

2nd hand is definitely my 1st and only option....my point that I'm making is that with even a 2nd hand one, the prices are still high.... I was then wondering if I should take the 40% residual thingy, and when it comes to the end, re-finance again for the remaining 2 years. It will force me into a 7 year finance deal, then I must look at keeping the vehicle for another 3 years....so total a 10 year old vehicle to sell.

My method to my madness is if you consider a brand new 2006 model Fortuner, selling it next year or even this year for R150 000 privately..... You could then finance a new Fortuner (the new shape coming) with the R150 000 as deposit......

Essentially you will be paying 7 years, having a payment break for two or 3 years before you finance something again.

The down side of all of the above is the "interest" you have paid for the above option.
    Sent from my iPhone

As long as you are not a compulsive car buyer and need to change cars every 2 years you can do the residual thing.Why spend more than you can comfortably afford with all the strings attached.Google vehicle repayment calculator and punch in the numbers there.From that you will get a good idea of what falls in you budget

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    2nd hand is definitely my 1st and only option....my point that I'm making is that with even a 2nd hand one, the prices are still high.... I was then wondering if I should take the 40% residual thingy, and when it comes to the end, re-finance again for the remaining 2 years. It will force me into a 7 year finance deal, then I must look at keeping the vehicle for another 3 years....so total a 10 year old vehicle to sell.

My method to my madness is if you consider a brand new 2006 model Fortuner, selling it next year or even this year for R150 000 privately..... You could then finance a new Fortuner (the new shape coming) with the R150 000 as deposit......

Essentially you will be paying 7 years, having a payment break for two or 3 years before you finance something again.

The down side of all of the above is the "interest" you have paid for the above option.

Toyota has brought out a deal where you can now buy a new one with a guaranteed future value. So you pay almost half for your monthly installment and trade it in after 3 years for the new shape.

My reasoning is as follows:

If you can't buy a vehicle cash, don't buy it.

You will pay an alarming amount of money on interest. If you keep trading your car in every three years or so, it remains property of the bank - not yours essentially. Rather buy a cheap/ affordable vehicle cash, save and then buy your dream car cash. You will save a lot

That is just my opinion, but then again I work for the government

P.S: Over a couple of years I have brought and sold a lot of "cheap" cars privately - never made a loss - Touch wood

A survey amongst self made millionaires is the USA shows that the biggest common denominator amongst them is not driving new cars.

Makes one think!
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJT View Post
    My reasoning is as follows:

If you can't buy a vehicle cash, don't buy it.

You will pay an alarming amount of money on interest. If you keep trading your car in every three years or so, it remains property of the bank - not yours essentially. Rather buy a cheap/ affordable vehicle cash, save and then buy your dream car cash. You will save a lot

That is just my opinion, but then again I work for the government

P.S: Over a couple of years I have brought and sold a lot of "cheap" cars privately - never made a loss - Touch wood
    One word - Gearing.

And it has nothing to do with the gearbox, either manual or auto.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by leonlieb View Post

this must be close to one of the most stupid things sayed on the forum

so if you make 30 grand a month you can buy a car for 3mill??

dam that's just doff
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

Quote Originally Posted by gualter View Post
    this must be close to one of the most stupid things sayed on the forum

so if you make 30 grand a month you can buy a car for 3mill??

dam that's just doff

2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    nuff sayed nuff sayed

at this rate you could buy a car for 1,000000000000,00 rund
    all day
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

Quote Originally Posted by gualter View Post
    nuff sayed nuff sayed

at this rate you could buy a car for 1,000000000000,00 rund
    all day

Your maths needs some work.... 10 x 30k = R300k. But whose counting
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast