That one new guy, the one with the question...

Question That one new guy, the one with the question...

Greetings 4x4 friends. I have been around for a little while reading up on all the great info and thought it time to introduce myself and finally ask a question.

I am Dan from the USA and lived in Johannesburg, South Africa from 2006-2011. I then moved up to Livingstone Zambia with my family from then until 2013. I have been back in the US for the last 1.5 years and we plan on returning to Zambia for a long stay, but first I need to spend some time in South Africa to strengthen partnerships.

And therein lies my question.

Everything I own is in Zambia including my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. I own it outright and it is properly registered in Zambia. I am wondering what the current process is for temporarily driving my Zambia registered vehicle in to South Africa for a time until I can purchase another in RSA.

It used to be that you made sure that your Zambian Interpol was up to date, and then when you got to the S. African border you applied for a TIP and they gave you your entrance for the length of time that you needed, and then surrendered the TIP upon exit.

Is it the same? And does anyone have any current experience with the process?

I have looked at a carnet, but I don't know if I can pull that off as an American, wanting to temporarily stay in South Africa, with a Zambian Registered Vehicle.

Thank you for listening to my rambling and I appreciate any direction you all might have.

Dan Hartley
    magezi.org

Welcome Dan........

Somebody will be able to assist you with the right advice........some clever chappies around here.......

George
    2020 Hilux LG50
    1995 Hilux SFA

Welcome Dan! I'm not very clever so I can't help you! Sorry.

Dan
    you need to get the interpol clearance from central police.
    They will give you a form to fill in, then you need to produce a copy of your white book( ownership documents) a copy of your I.D.( passport or national registration card) and a copy of your driving license. The first time you apply it costs ZMW100.00, there after, if you have your old Interpol certificate, it is free. The document needs to be renewed every 3 months and generally takes a couple of days for the police to process. You can drop your documents of in the morning and collect the following afternoon. Either Wednesday or Thursday afternoon is their sports day, just check when you drop the documents off.
    I have only ever been asked to show the document as I leave Zambia; never on entering another country or re-entry to Zambia.
    I am not surre how long you can take a vehicle to Botswana or S.A. for but I believe it is 3 months.
    Even if the car is in your name it is still worth typing a letter stating that you are allowing yourself to take the vehicle out of the country, sounds daft but I have been asked for it on many occassions!!
    Cheers

I hope this clears things up

Thank you so much for your response. I did have an Interpol a 2 years back so it might take a bit to renew it first time around, but from what you've shared it sounds like the process is pretty straightforward still. It all really depends on how SARS feels if they are willing to give a 90 day TIP upon entry.

Thanks again.
    Dan Hartley
    magezi.org

If I was you I would consider using the Stockpoort/ Parr's Halt border between Bots and SA. It's so much quicker and easier; once a vehicle is in Botswana the paperwork is legal for SA. So then your main concern will be getting the entry port to Botswana to give you the 90 days. Also when you are paying to enter Botswana from Zambia at the BURS counter, pay for a return trip, it costs less and means less paperwork when entering Botswana from SA