The sound of memories

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The sound of memories

Went to see my mother in law at my home town on the West Coast this past weekend.

We went for a drive, and checked out Laaiplek jetty just to see what there were. Only 4 trawlers moored there, including Stormkop. The rest were out to sea.

I arrived just too late to visit the Fisheries Museum next to the Laaiplek hotel. We arrived there at 13h03. The museum was open until 13h00. So we just had lunch at the Laaiplek hotel.

I’m standing on a boardwalk that reaches into the Berg river at that point. And that’s my clan huddled around the table front right.

To my left was the slipway. They clearly had some work waiting, but I have no idea how they are going the get this chap back to sea.

As we travelled back through St Helena Bay we could see trawlers heading out to sea. Nice sight. At dusk I saw one having his net out just off Shelly Point, where we were booked in the Shelly Point hotel.

We stayed at the Shelly Point hotel. Pretty marvellous. It’s on the Shelly Point golf estate. At the spitbraai dinner Saturday evening they had a guy from Hopefield making live music. Lovely.

After dinner we took my mother in law back to her home. I could tell from the aroma emanating from the fishing factory just across the street from her house that some trawlers had by then returned with their load. The fish meal plant was clearly working.

At abou t04h30 Sunday morning I woke up from a noise. At first I thought it was a chopper hovering close by. But it went on for too long. Later I thought it is a truck, but there are no roads close. And then I recognised the sound!

I got up andl ooked through the window. Between the Cape St Martin light house and the Shelly Point light house I counted six trawlers heading back to the fishing factories of St Helena Bay and Laaiplek. It sounded like the industrial sized generator that my neighbour now installed at his house. Only less annoying.

I got back in bed and found myself smiling in the dark, listening at the sound of old memories.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stormkop.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	358368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laaiplek hotel.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	358369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slipway.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	358370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trawler.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	358371  
    Last edited by pgjonker; 2015/08/03 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Typos.
    PG Jonker
    Mazda Magnum 3.4 DC 4x4 (petrol)
    5,5 - 7,3 km/l
    mileage: 335 000 km's