Hardbody 4x4 auto lock hub problem

Question Hardbody 4x4 auto lock hub problem

Hi all,

I have read a few posts on the forum on the subject, but I am still stuck on the following :

I Have a 2008 Nissan Hardbody 2.4i 4x4.
    The front wheels have the auto lock hubs and these are not engaging at all.
    I gear into 4x4 mode and do drive a while, and when it comes to getting stuck or something, the front hubs just never engage and the back wheels spin.

I don't know my way around the parts all too well but I can follow instructions if I know where to look for what.

As far as I know, these engage with a vacuum pump (the same that engages the aircon if understand correct). I am not sure where to look for these pipes and see if any are damaged etc, and would appreciate any help and suggestions.

Alternatively, can these just be replaced with manual lock hubs ? If so, is it easy enough to do and where can I get manual lock hubs ?

When you engage low range, reverse a few meters until you can hear the hubs click, then they've engaged. I've gotten used to this ritual...
    Danie
    Nissan Hardbody KingCab 4x4
    Volkswagen Polo Maxx
    Jurgens Camplite

Thanks, I'll give that a try and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by the_kahn View Post
    Hi all,

I have read a few posts on the forum on the subject, but I am still stuck on the following :

I Have a 2008 Nissan Hardbody 2.4i 4x4.
    The front wheels have the auto lock hubs and these are not engaging at all.
    I gear into 4x4 mode and do drive a while, and when it comes to getting stuck or something, the front hubs just never engage and the back wheels spin.

I don't know my way around the parts all too well but I can follow instructions if I know where to look for what.

As far as I know, these engage with a vacuum pump (the same that engages the aircon if understand correct). I am not sure where to look for these pipes and see if any are damaged etc, and would appreciate any help and suggestions.

Alternatively, can these just be replaced with manual lock hubs ? If so, is it easy enough to do and where can I get manual lock hubs ?
    The auto-lock hubs on the 2.4 Hardbody (in fact, on all Hardbodies from what I know) don't use vacuum to lock. They make use of a mechanical locking mechanism when the front axles are turning (ie: when 4H or 4L is selected). I've included a screen shot below. It locks when moving in one direction, and unlocks when the vehicle is moved in the other direction. This is one of the reasons it is important to drive the vehicle for a couple of meters in a straightish line opposite to the direction you were travelling when shifting from 4H/4L to 2H.

Most times, when the hubs are problematic, you will hear them. They make a very loud clacking-type sound when they are broken / not functioning correctly.

I've not heard of major issues with them, and you don't describe any noises. What gives you the impression that they are not locking in 4H/4L ?

Name:  NISSAN.png
Views: 1646
Size:  92.3 KB
    Last edited by iandvl; 2015/07/31 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Correct some grammar mistakes... :)

Vlak_Vark, I tried reversing in 4L and could not hear any click indicating the engagement of the lock hubs.

Thank you for the reply iandvl, I will have a look at the diagram.

I reckon they are not engaging because never have I seen the front wheels turning by themselves. Not when stuck in sand, not when going up a side bank (that is too steep to get up, but checking to see if the front wheels turn at all), not ever.
    When it starts spinning, its always the rear wheels only.
    I know power is transferred to the wheels with less friction, but this would be in opposition of each other(front left with rear right, and opposite), wouldn't it ?
    If I have it wrong, what would be the best bet for me to test this without out doubt ?

Quote Originally Posted by the_kahn View Post
    ---snip---
    I tried reversing in 4L and could not hear any click indicating the engagement of the lock hubs.
    ---snip---
    Put the vehicle in 4L.
    Drive forward a couple of metres.
    Stop.
    Put vehicle in 2H.
    Reverse about 2 or 3m.

You should hear a click when the hubs disengage. As pointed out earlier, the hubs will only disengage (ie: you will only hear the click) when they have been operated in 2wd in the opposite direction they were driven in 4wd. Honestly, if the hubs were not engaging properly, I am pretty sure you would have been aware of it - just from the noise aspect alone...
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

The auto hubs work on a clutch system.
    I've had numerous issues with mine to the point where I took them of and replaced with manual hubs.
    Just unscrew the 6 retaining bolts and replace.

Took the truck to Nissan this morning and they just said that the hubs are shot and need replacing. Hence not engaging at all.
    R11K

I also asked if manual lock hubs would be any price difference and its a full R50 price difference.

If I do replace them to manuals myself, with the help of someone who knows more, where do I go about sourcing these ?
    Or just taking it to someone who can do it for cheaper ?
    I am in the Midrand / Centurion area and go to the Vaal often as well.

You can get hubs at http://www.commercialautoparts.co.za/
    About R1000 last I checked. If I recall the make is AVM.

It's very easy to replace. you can do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVilliers View Post
    You can get hubs at http://www.commercialautoparts.co.za/
    About R1000 last I checked. If I recall the make is AVM.

It's very easy to replace. you can do it yourself.
    Thanks for the info, will go this route then and update with some pics as I go along.

cool. shout if you need help.

Thanks, will do !

Phoned commercial auto parts.
    I will just need to strip the auto hubs off tonight and figure out how many splines it has.
    26, 27 or 30 are my options apparantly.

Can't remember, but I think it is 27, but make sure.