2010 Ranger 2.5td XL

Default 2010 Ranger 2.5td XL

Hi there, there is a very nice looking D/C Ranger standing at a dealership here in CT. It looks very well looked after. Got 141 000kms on it and is selling for R180k. Its got an aluminum canopy on it as well as fairly new looking AT tyres. Also has a towbar.

Would it be complete madness to try and trade a Jimny in for this? Jimny only has 45000kms on it, still under warranty and service plan. Great daily driver. Never given a day's worry. But the wife says the Jimny is too small and she doesnt feel comfortable in it. Now we have to go on long trips in her car and every time we drive past a dirt road I cry a little bit on the inside cause we dont get to drive it.

The bakkie would be used as daily driver as well as for longer trips. About 40kms everyday. Would also do the odd easy trail, nothing hectic as well as long trips.

Would this bakkie be a worty substitute for the Jimny. If something is going to break is it likely to be expensive to fix / replace? I have never bought such a high mileage vehicle so I would be very very nervous about it.

Any thoughts or insight would be much appreciated!
    Jimny 2012 8)

Price bit steep for me. For bit more and you are in 2.2 territory and that's a whole other vehicle.
    2.5TD can expect 8.5km/l average. Nail it and it drops to 6.5 quickly. Best for me 9.5km/l driving 90km/h. Not a fun long distance cruiser but can do donkey work all day long.
    Engine bulletproof. Gearbox can be problem if abused by previous owner.
    Parts not too expensive but do shop around.

Hmmm, thanks for the feedback Oubaard. Will give it some more thought. For some optimistic reason I thought the fuel consumption would be better this. Hows yours as a camping vehicle? And besides the speed, how is it on the long road? This one doesnt have much in terms of creature comforts. It has aircon and thats about it really.
    Jimny 2012 8)

Oh, one more thing... The Hilux 2.5 d4d 4x4. How would this Ranger in a similar price bracket compare? I understand the Hilux SRX is not the worlds raciest bakkie, but is would be the same sort of thing as this Ranger?
    Jimny 2012 8)

Cant comment on the Hilux. Never driven one. As camping vehicle its great. space behind seats a bonus. 50L NL fits nicely. If you are not in a hurry its a great vehicle. Creature comforts..haha.. ja aircon. I also upgraded my radio to usb head-unit,amp and 12" sub. So lots of music for the looong trips. Mine is stock standard with 30.5" BFGs and I average 8.5km/l. Daily driver.

Ok, the 30.5" puts the fuel consumption a bit more in perspective... Thats not too bad then is it?

The version you have, is it the same as the 2010 model?
    Jimny 2012 8)

Under the skin, its maar basically the same as the older generation rangers / mazda B2500's.

My Drifter, gets around 9.2km/l open road, at 120 with AC on. In town - well I have a heavy foot, so it varies, but around 7km/l - running on a set of BFG A/T 31x10.5x15's which is bigger than standard sizes for these trucks. The 2.5 engine can do 4 times that mileage without worry, gearbox well they tend to go boom around 300k mark, but mostly because of abuse or heavy towing in 5th gear.

Bumpy ride though, not softly sprung, so be prepared for that, if you want comfort, this truck might not be what you need, other than that, good vehicle - price a bit steep, you could possibly get a 3.0CRDi for that kinda price.

my 2c
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4 SOLD

Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

I think this was a fleet bakkie of sorts in its previous life. It looks very well looked after so I wouldn't really know what to expect. Still a bit dubious about previous fleet vehicles

I have been looking for the 3.0 tdci versions but I really can't find any reasonable ones. There are even some 2.5tds that are more expensive than this one. I think they might have the higher trim level though
    Jimny 2012 8)

You should be able to get a 3.0 TDCI for that kind of money. Those pull like a train would not be much heavier on juice than the 2.5. I am not a diesel fan but if there is one diesel engine that I would like to own, it's the 3.0 TDCI an maybe the V9X from Nissan.

4x4AG0092
    3.3 HB 4x4 DC Auto
    Awesome post. I now declare you Gerrit456 - The Mad one

Quote Originally Posted by jonno99 View Post
    Ok, the 30.5" puts the fuel consumption a bit more in perspective... Thats not too bad then is it?

The version you have, is it the same as the 2010 model?
    Mechanically exactly the same. Ja the fuel consumption is not bad but you have to hammer it to travel at 120km/h (gps speed) and then pay the price. Where other vehicles will easily cruise at 120-130km/h and give you the same fuel consumption.
    To put it in perspective, I went to Namibia with the Ranger and my FIL with a 2011 Prado. At the end of the 5000km trip the fuel consumption difference between us were 0.8 km/l...and the Prado as the beter one...

Quote Originally Posted by Oubaard View Post
    Mechanically exactly the same. Ja the fuel consumption is not bad but you have to hammer it to travel at 120km/h (gps speed) and then pay the price. Where other vehicles will easily cruise at 120-130km/h and give you the same fuel consumption.
    To put it in perspective, I went to Namibia with the Ranger and my FIL with a 2011 Prado. At the end of the 5000km trip the fuel consumption difference between us were 0.8 km/l...and the Prado as the beter one...
    Petrol Prado or 3.0 d4d Prado? If its the petrol then thats really not bad. And if its the diesel then thats livable for an older engine too really been looking for the 3.0 tdci but I cant seetm to find a decent one in the Western Cape. They seem a lot more refined, spec wise, than the 2.5td xl. Heck. They even come with carpets as opposed to vinyl floors!
    Last edited by jonno99; 2015/07/27 at 07:47 PM.
    Jimny 2012 8)

Sorry forgot to mension it was the V6 petrol Prado. Mine's got 145000km on.Thinking of selling it but will only sell when I find a well looked after Prado or Tdci doublecab.
    Last edited by Oubaard; 2015/07/27 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by Oubaard View Post
    Sorry forgot to mension it was the V6 petrol Prado.
    Haha. Yes. See thats what I am worried about. The older big petrols give ok milage on the long road. Not great but still decent. And ALL that power! Mmm. It's my hardbody all over again. Cheap to buy. Cheap to maintian. But very little power for what I put in. 2.4 hardbody and the same milage as my bosses jeep, just that he had SO much more power than I did.
    Jimny 2012 8)