Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Another dead D3

Default Another dead D3

Hi all

I am sad to say that I am the latest victim of a D3 engine failure. Was driving up William Nicol drive last week and all of a sudden heard a loud knocking noise coming from the engine bay. Strangely I was wondering to myself 10 minutes earlier as I was driving up Bryanston drive when and if it would be my turn to have this happen.

Vehicle has had oil changes every 12 000 km and had the PTFE treatment done by Landyworx. Has done 197 000 km.

I don't think I am going to repair the vehicle based on what it has cost others on the forum for an engine replacement. Will see what the scrap yard offers before making up my mind.

Vehicle is standing at Landyworx at the moment. Ian offered to get City Deep scrapyard to come give me a price.

If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

Cheers

Sean

Sorry to hear.
    FORD Ranger
    Conqueror Courage

Eish, sad news indeed. All of the best with the road ahead.

Terrible :-(

Hard luck seank. What are you going to do with all those extras?
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

I'm sitting on my hands.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

SeanK, sorry to hear about your D3.

If the crank is not broken, why not look into just getting the bottom end rebuilt? The bearings (+ 1st oversize) are available at a reasonable price R4k iirc.

Don't know what it would cost in labour and machining. Would be a poormans rebuild for sure but might be financially viable.

It's downright scary to hear all these D3 problems all of a sudden, as they get older.

Why doesn't Land Rover issue a recall
    Last edited by Dirk; 2015/07/27 at 07:11 PM.

I think people are terrified of them.

I was offered a 2008 TDV6 with 180 000km on it for R110 000 when I was looking at cars for the family a couple of months back.

very sad that such a nice car is effectively worth zero with a blown motor, as is really the case with the OPs - best bet is the scrap heap, and I'm sorry to hear it Sean!

'lucky' in this case is that Sean doesn't seem to have outstanding finance - there was another thread the other day where the owner is still in for 200k with the finance house and the motor has gone....

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    I think they do offer some help up to a certain point. 7 years and 200 000km I am led to believe. I can't give details, but I've seen this info mentioned on the forum.

In reality - the warranty is up on the problem D3s. why would they? not like another manufacturer would look at a non safety recall at this stage.

2 years ago a friend of mine had a (at the time) 7 year old BMW 530d with 140 000km on the clock. the inlet manifold blew apart. he was one of the lucky ones by all accounts - the motor didn't inhale the bits, so he wasn't in for a 100k motor. just an 8k manifold.

common problem I am told - guess what BMW have to say if you ask them to pay for it ?

you can't eve nbuy spares for most Peugeots that are out of warranty, and you see very few older ones (10 years old) on the roads. because they are no longer econmical to repair and they hit the scrap yard...
    Last edited by Dirk; 2015/07/27 at 07:12 PM.

If Sean doesn't owe anything on it then it might be worth fixing.

How much is a rebuild? R100k?
    Last edited by XJ Junkie; 2015/07/27 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I think they do offer some help up to a certain point. 7 years and 200 000km I am led to believe. I can't give details, but I've seen this info mentioned on the forum.

In reality - the warranty is up on the problem D3s. why would they? not like another manufacturer would look at a non safety recall at this stage.

2 years ago a friend of mine had a (at the time) 7 year old BMW 530d with 140 000km on the clock. the inlet manifold blew apart. he was one of the lucky ones by all accounts - the motor didn't inhale the bits, so he wasn't in for a 100k motor. just an 8k manifold.

common problem I am told - guess what BMW have to say if you ask them to pay for it ?

you can't eve nbuy spares for most Peugeots that are out of warranty, and you see very few older ones (10 years old) on the roads. because they are no longer econmical to repair and they hit the scrap yard...
    An engine that suddenly dies without warning is most certainly a safety issue.
    Toyota has done recalls for things as trivial as water pump failure. My car alone has had 3 recalls performed.

If Land Rover is assisting up to a certain cutoff, great. But maybe it's time they start doing something BEFORE the paw paw hits the fan.

Send it to CME, then at least it will be properly fixed.

I still stick to my guesstimate of a 14% failure rate of those motors.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

To the OP, very sorry about your predicament. I"m a Landy fan myself, and I would LOVE to have one as a weekend plaything. But incidents like these are slowly hammering every bit of loyalty I have towards the brand out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    If Sean doesn't owe anything on it then it might be worth fixing.

How much is a rebuild? R100k?
    about 100k for a rebuilt one with the mods that (hopefully) prevent it recurring.

but... at that mileage he'll be looking at a set of injectors in the very near future. say 70k.

alternator, suspension pump, turbo, gearbox... none of them seem to do to well in a D3s old age.

when it's running it's worth very little more than R100k.

Sean is 100% right. time to cut the losses and see what he'll get for it from a scrapyard. I would. chucking good money after bad.

An engine that suddenly dies without warning is most certainly a safety issue.
    Toyota has done recalls for things as trivial as water pump failure. My car alone has had 3 recalls performed.

If Land Rover is assisting up to a certain cutoff, great. But maybe it's time they start doing something BEFORE the paw paw hits the fan.
    Toyota recall washers on waterpumps but not sticking throttles. try and get a new motor out of them when it's under warranty, never mind out of warranty.

as per my BMW example - even with known issues they weren't interested in a catastprohic failure of a major component.

seriosuly, look around you. how many 10 year old cars do you see? as a percentage of what was sold? not a lot, and they weren't all in accidents. they just hit 'uneconomical to repair' status and off to the junkyard they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

Toyota recall washers on waterpumps but not sticking throttles. try and get a new motor out of them when it's under warranty, never mind out of warranty.

as per my BMW example - even with known issues they weren't interested in a catastprohic failure of a major component.

seriosuly, look around you. how many 10 year old cars do you see? as a percentage of what was sold? not a lot, and they weren't all in accidents. they just hit 'uneconomical to repair' status and off to the junkyard they go.
    Most 10 year old vehicles I see are either Japanese or German.

To the OP, very sorry about your predicament. I"m a Landy fan myself, and I would LOVE to have one as a weekend plaything. But incidents like these are slowly hammering every bit of loyalty I have towards the brand out of me.
    A 20 year old Defender will set you back more than a 7 year old Disco3.

and they are reliable, cheap as chips to keep on the road, and will still be on the road at 500 000km because they were built to be tough.

same as a Wrangler,same as a Live axle Cruiser, same as a G-Wagen.

but exotics - forget it. doesn't matter if it's an X5, ML, Range Rover, Disco, Toerag or whatever - the 'luxury items' just kill it in the long run.

we just don't see people carrying on about X5s and MLs dropping their guts at low mileages because not many people on the forum have them.

Toerags and Discos - yes, those we see with problems.

They have to recall all LR's ever made!!! Then. Sorry to hear about your misfortune! sean

Most 10 year old vehicles I see are either Japanese or German.
    True, but an unfair comparison.

Toyota have a head start, they are 20 years old when you drive them off the new car floor.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast