Nissan Navara 4l V6 Fuel Sender Unit

Default Nissan Navara 4l V6 Fuel Sender Unit

Hi all

Finally got a 4x4, finally joined 4x4 community, and already discovered my first problem.

I have a little(big) problem regarding the fuel situation on my vehicle - its not the usage that concerns me (company pays for petrol) but rather the petrol being reflected on the fuel gauge, or perhaps it just is a consumption problem who knows.

The first time i noticed the problem was after about 310km my bakkie was sitting just above empty, decided to fill her up, and yet still managed to put in over 55l of juice.

I have now done 350km and the needle is so deep in the red I fear it might catch fire.

Contacted Nissan and got a quote on a new fuel sender unit, nearly had a heart attack when I saw it would cost me just on 10k to repair.

Has anybody else experienced something similar? And how did you go about getting it sorted out?

BTW any Nav 4l v6 drivers out there, how many KM do you average on a tank just for interest sake?

Thanks in advance

At this point in time I would be happy with just a reply stating how many km Nav 4L v6 drivers are getting on a tank?

Ek probeer ingooi voor 400km.My liggie brand hier van 320 af
    gerief en krag bo brandstofgebruik
    2007 Nissan Navara 4.0 l 4x4 Auto

Just over 400km a tank town driving and 500km highway and town

Well I eventually filled up at 430km yesterday - 80km with the needle touching the bottom, and I could still only put 66L of petrol in

Jou standaard tenk behoort 80L te kan vat.
    Ek het gewoonlik hier by 400km begin garage soek.
    Nou met die ekstra 65L tenk loop ek lekker tot by 700km voor ek begin soek.

Ek is seker hier was nog n ander Navara man met dieselfde probleem. Was toe glo n Nissan probleem en die sender unit is verniet vervang. Soek bietjie rond....

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

That's the problem though, I can't really find more info on it, been googling and making calls for the past 2 weeks and all I ended up with was a quote from nissan to replace the unit for 9000 odd rand.

I was also getting between 470km - 500km driving from Centurion to Linbro Park on the Ben Schoeman.
    Regarding the fuel sender, I'm thinking Nissan have a problem. My fuel gauge only works from 1/4 of a tank to empty. I also got a shock when I priced a replacement sender unit from Nissan
    Rather than pay that price I managed to import a unit from the States via a friend. It's not the complete sender unit but just the fuel level sender (float assembly) at R1,425. I'm hoping that it will fix my problem.

@Braith Please give me a shout if the float assembly replacement works

It actually gets ridiculous at times, I literally watch the needle drop when it gets below half. Done 5000km on the van now, still havent managed to put in more than 66L and I'm too damn scared to drive her to empty

I have the same problem.
    I get to 300km and the light comes on, fill up and it takes 50 L of fuel, still leaving me with 30 L in the tank

I asked Nissan in PE to have a look at the problem when it went for the service and they said they need to put a report into their JHB branch as they don't know what the problem is. I then told them about the forum and that someone else here aid itsthe sender unit, well this was about 2 months ago and im still waiting for a reply.

All I get is that they have submitted their request.

its irritating to have the fuel gauge like that.

mine is also a 4L v6 Navara.

My fuel consumption is 5.5km per litre in town and 7km per litre open Road.
    Regards Adrian

Nissan Navara 4.0 v6 4x4

Nissan Terrano 2 SE, 2.7 turbo diesel (Sold)

I had the same problem with the Pathfinder. Eventually it was found that the breather valve on top of the tank was faulty. The whole tank became sucked in. After replacing the valve, the tank in time returned to its original shape (and size).
    Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab

Welcome to the 4x4 community, a place where you find problems on things you never knew you had.
    If power isn't helping, you're not using enough power.

so last week a taxi decided to rearrange the front of my "plat kar" and i am now on the look out for a replacement. i was looking at the 4l navara, but got a bit it scares me when there are known problems that nissan either doe not want to fix or does not care to fix. but im glad the tank problem seems to finally have a solution. but i have a heavy right foot and i dought id get those kind of numbers ,especially since id probably chnage the exaust as soon as i get one lol.

@terrano 2

I'm also in PE, so I was 10 to 1 at the same service center.

Still haven't had it sorted out yet, filled up this morning after driving the whole weekend on flatout empty - only took 60l till full.

@nizmozilla

I absolutely love my van, at first the fuel consumption does hurt your heart a bit, but you get used to it. I do about 3000km a month with mine, never a dull moment. I don't know if I would ever be able to go the diesel route. PS: I have a VERY heavy right foot
    Last edited by alcatraz5953; 2015/09/07 at 04:48 PM.

Have a similar problem with my HB level sits on 3/4 yet full went to Northwest Nissan they shrugged their shoulders.....

Default Distance

Howdy all.

my 4l petrol nav is getting around 450km ( town) and confirmed last night 670km from richards bay to pretoria ( i have a extra jerry so could perform a test)

its been chipped and freeflow'ed so that might be it. also have 17 AT's on.

i had a issue a while back and got a obd2 scanner for android and with monitoring i'm out of the 400 to 450km on the intercity trips .