Default Fuel price decrease next month?

Noticed the economists are predicting a decrease of R1/litre for petrol and R1.60/l diesel, for next month, if the rand/$ and oil prices remain at the current levels. Indeed good news!!!

Service Station owners are now worried about their "losses" should this happen, i.e. having to pay the old price to fill their tanks and then sell it at the reduced price - they indeed have a short memory!!! Was just wondering what they did during all the price hikes? Sold the "cheap" petrol/diesel at the new prices!!!
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Yep, there was even talk about some of them claiming to have run out of stock on the night before the increase, just to suddenly start selling again the next day, without any sign of the fuel tankers having come by to refill their tanks!

And another thing they so conveniently forget is that with the last 27c drop in fuel (petrol/diesel (?)) price, only a decrease of 20c was implimented and passed on to the consumer. Why? Because the pumps only indicate units of 10c. And no-one bats an eyelid!

All I know is that R1.60 less for diesel will be most welcome!

If a garage owner plans very carefully he/she can minimize losses. they always arrange to have fuel delivered just before a fuel price increase, this time they just need to have it delivered after the decrease

It is probably not all that simple, but sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Problem is they have to pay upfront when placing the order but delivery will only take place 2-3 days later.

So even if they place the order before midnight on the day of the increase / decrease, they still have to pay at the previous price - but then again, this is their problem and they need to be smart in their planning - i.e. previous trends with fuel price increases / decreases should be taken into account when ordering close to the date of the change - which is the same day every month in any event.
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's

Price coming down tonight as far as I know Filling up tomorrow...
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

I wouldnt get too compacent yet . This oil bussiness can be full of surprises.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Price coming down tonight as far as I know Filling up tomorrow...
    Fuel only changes price the first Wednesday of the month?
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    And another thing they so conveniently forget is that with the last 27c drop in fuel (petrol/diesel (?)) price, only a decrease of 20c was implimented and passed on to the consumer. Why? Because the pumps only indicate units of 10c. And no-one bats an eyelid!
    Not so - that extra 7c goes into the over-recovery equation and is factored into the fuel price calculations for the following month.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Fuel only changes price the first Wednesday of the month?
    Correct. The price came down last week already, iinm.

Cant agree Simon. An over-recovery occurs when a lower "going" price is not given through to the consumer.
    In this case it was given through but the seller, the garages, kept 7c per litre back for themselves because of the 10c units excuse.
    I confirmed this yesterday with the WC Prov Admin. The guy even said that they know of the problem and that in future the price changes will also work in 10c units, rounded off upwards for an increase and downwards for a decrease.
    We have no say in the matter other than, Ja Baas.
    (PS. I know the manager of a garage thats well located and pumps +-500 000 litres per month. I think the profit margin is about 64c per litre at the moment. Make your own sums what a 7c difference means for his pocket. R35 000?)

BRed the fuel price is coming down today/tomorrow but not for the consumer, its for the garages. The reason being that the economists envisage a big drop in fuel prices next month that the garage owners wont be able to cope with at once because of the loss of profit on the fill-up tank the day(s) prior to the decrease. So they are getting their fuel at lower prices already so they can build up a profit to cover the "loss" when the price drops at the end of the month. Very nice of the government to look after their interests hey?

Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    Cant agree Simon. An over-recovery occurs when a lower "going" price is not given through to the consumer.
    In this case it was given through but the seller, the garages, kept 7c per litre back for themselves because of the 10c units excuse
    Ok, cool - I stand corrected - I wasn't aware that the 27c/l HAD been passed onto the garages...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Retail margin was increased last month, so in fact the price decreased more, but the garages' margin increased. They wanted to impliment 2 months ago, but postponed to last month
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

I've been out of good ol' ZA for a while. What is the latest petrol and diesel price at the coast now?
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Diesel is around R11-35 to R11-65 or so after last week's decrease. Petrol as follows:

R10-10 for 93 and R10-20 for 95, according to Dept of Mineral & Energy's website.

Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's