Default AfriSki mid July

Hi. Does anybody know if I can get to AfriSki in small car in July, around 20th? And what are the accommodation options if one doesn't want to stay at the resort,but wants to visit for a day? Either in Lesotho or SA near the boarder. Thanks.

Will be coming from the North, from Jozi side.

1) The road is tarred all the way up to past Oxbox, you have about 6/7 km of good gravel (they're busy doing roadworks, the gravel is a detour).

2) From the Caledonspoort border post to Afriski +- 2-3 hours weasy drive.

3) You can get there with almost any sedan/hatch, obviously if it snows on the roads its a different story - for any vehicle. But the pass road is constantly cleared and sprayed with salt.

4) Accommodation options:
    4.1) Afriski itself. But VERY pricey, like in VERY........a six sleeper is something like R 10 000/night.
    4,2) Oxbox Lodge, about 10 km away - Google them
    4,3) Fouriesburg is 2-3 hours away, at Caledonspoort. Various options there, if you interested post it here, I'll give you some options.

5) Snow Packages there work out at around R 500 per half day - all kit etc etc included, per person.
    If you only go for the day, rather be there early and take the morning package (9-12 I think).

DO NOT LEAVE AFRISKI AFTER 16H00 if you're heading for the border.......the sun sets VERY quickly in the mountains,the road can ice up in the cold, and it's not fun driving in Lesotho in the dark!!!!!! That's why I prefer the morning package.

6) OK(ish) food and drinks (GREAT gluhwein) at the Gondola Cafe at Afriski.

7) Take a set of dry clothes for each skier

8) ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

isnt it oxbow lodge?
    as petri said most of the road is tarred however if it does snow those last few kms will be very difficult to travel in a normal car.
    I went 3 years ago and the untarred sections can get very muddy.

if you stay at afriski you get to enjoy the experience far more and get to take In the "alpine village" style activities that happen at night without havin to worry about driving afterwards.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Just a couple of corrections.

The distance from Oxbow Lodge to Afriski is 15km. But the good news is that the last 3-4 km is now also tarred. From where you come over the crest at Mahlasela pass.

The bad news is, as Petri says, if the roads have got wet from rain or snow, it freezes and forms ice. A week ago we had some snow, and it was only at about 2pm that the ice was cleared for non 4x4 vehicles to get up Moteng pass, and past the top of Mahlasela Pass.

The last 300 - 400 meters before the top of Moteng pass is always wet (ground seepage) and is in permanent shadow in the winter. The ice gets salted daily, but some days it takes a few hours to melt.

From Caledonspoort border post its just 75 km to Afriski, but going up Moteng pass will slow you a lot, and then the 12km of dirt isn't in good nick, but still completely doable in a small car (my wife drove it in her i20). Total time from the border should be about 75 mins if you don't stop for pics.

Right now Afriski will be fully booked. So will Oxbow. Your best bet is Fouriesburg, or even Bethlehem. Bethlehem is only about 50km's from Fouriesburg. The border opens at 6am, so theoretically you can be at Afriski by 7h30, IF IF IF the road isn't iced up.

Some snow forecast for Thursday the 9th...
    Last edited by Gary110; 2015/07/04 at 08:23 PM.
    I am strong, because I've been weak.
    I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
    I am wise, because I've been foolish.

Time from border to Afriski minimum 2 hours guys.........just my observation. Have been there MANY times. I travelled from Caledonspoort to Oxbow more times than I've picked my nose.

In an old Cruiser, a Jeep Wagoneer, Cruisers, V8 Landies, on a DR 750, TT600, and mostly on a 80 GS.

Lesotho travelling time is always the km, x 3, divided by 2 = minutes.

80 x 3 / 2 = 120 minutes.

My opinion, do'nt want to sound slim here or anything.

Most important of all............remember those extra set of dry clothes when skiing.

Thanks for the excellent replies. I would have definitely overlooked the dry set of clothes...
    I have submitted enquiry with Oxbow, but will also explore Fouriesburg. Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have a 4x4, the closest is an Amarok 4x2. I am sure it will do better than a Ford Fusion on those roads...

Been there in 2011 and 2012.
    On good conditions you can get there with a platkar, no problem.
    But if it snows, or winds blow the ice over the road it may be a problem.
    Then you may need to be patient, until the roads are cleared again.

I've driven the route from Caledonspoort to Letseng Mine every 2 weeks for the last 3 years.

But then I will admit that I do drive. I don't sightsee.

My best time from Caledonspoort to the mine (100km) is 75 mins 8)
    I am strong, because I've been weak.
    I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
    I am wise, because I've been foolish.

We were there with the Lang Blond's Kombi 2 weeks ago, Phat......no hassles. Your Amakrok is more than enough.

Compared to my plaaspad, that little 6/7/8 km stretch of gravel just before Afriski is a highway.

Going again next weekend......the kids love it.

Just remember, Afriski does'nt rent clothes, just kit (skis/boards/boots).

We sommer use cheap rain suits pants over your jeans, motor cycle pants also work OK.

And another thing..........remember gloves. If you forget, you can buy a pair at around R 500 (!!!) at the Afriski shop.

Dunno, but if you have never skiied before (spelling??), I'd say the first day you spend learning on the "kids slope", maybe get on the main slope the same day. The next day you get to the main slope.

You'll see how it works............just go and enjoy.

As said, the gluhwein and the Maluti beer are GREAT, maybe just take along some sweets/snacks.

Smile and wave if you pass my cafe, just past Mercedes Benz and Nissan as jou turn left through Bethlehem to Fouriesburg - Oosthuizen Motors on your right.

We usually stays in Fouriesburg and then go through to Afriski for the day.

We go through the border when they open and we usually never leaves later than 14:00 at Afriski and this gives us enough time to get back.

Can't wait for when we are going at the beginning of August......
    2007 Mitsibushi Triton 2.5 Did 4x4 D/cab (Sold)

We are also heading up there this week, if it is not snowing it is easy. We did 4 guys last year in a micra.

It is to late to book at afriski now, but the if you book for next year the back packers is a good option. They normally do thursday to sunday packages.
    “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011

Pics from our afriski weekend. Just to give you an idea, 1st pic on thursday and 2nd pic the next morning. One can see from the background between the 2 pics how the track can change overnight.

“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011