Camp sites in Nam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Camp sites in Nam

We've just returned from Nam covering a lot of the roads less traveled, not the extreme 4x4 routes and camping all the way. Our definite would likes were hot water and power, but were prepared to be flexible.

Going over at the Vioolsdrift/Noordoewer border we camped on SA side at Aquacade which for my money is one of the top camp sites. Inexpensive, stunning views of the Orange, clean private campsites with power, hot water & clean ablutions. we looked in at the new "Lodge" at the border, but it cost more and who wants to camp on a dusty slope when you can camp on lush green grass at Aquacade. If you want to go further & spend the night in Nam I would suggest Amanzi, they have clean, grassed sheltered sites, with power.

Namuskluft at Rosh Pinah, nowhere else to camp in the vicinity. Sites were ok, with power but ablutions weren't great. Lovely walks on the mountain behind camp and a 4x4 trail (didn't do) Cheap at R70, ok for a night.

Konkiep
    R80 appalling and a total rip off at . Everything was broken. Fortunately the guy on duty started the generator so we had hot water and light for a few hours.

Lovedale we didn't stay there but had a look around. Super place with two camp sites one big one small and everything a camper would want.

Barby
    R80.00I believe it's now under new management. Inexpensive, clean campsites, no power but lovely hot showers. It's a way from the farm, so no power. The owners have done a good job of preparing the sites. It's in a very rocky area.

Aubures R90.00 A stunning camp with amazing views. NO power but a beautiful clean ablution block open to the sky. It's an old farm which the current owners are trying to farm in the most sustainable way possible. Lovely camp site, good walks and lots of birds. Also saw a Klipspringer wander past.

Helmeringshausen hotel R125.00 Clean, hot showers but boring.

Agama
    R130.0 (book ahead) Pleasant camp, a shared power point in the middle of the track past camp, but it worked. Clean camp, hot water from a donkey boiler 6-8pm (Not in the morning unless you buy the wood!) The sites near the river bed were better spaced. The two central ones were right next to each other. Stunning views from the deck at the lodge and a little waterhole which the birds loved. We saw lots of evidence of buck, but no animals.

Spreetshoogte R70.00 Inexpensive small camp site (2 sites) useful as a stopover half way down Spreetshoogte pass. Each camp had it's own donkey boiler, shower & loo. Not much to do there.

Rooisand R140.0 Lovely clean well organised camp, spotless ablution blocks a short walk down the hill. Power on site. Could get cold when the wind blows as the trees they've planted haven't grown very big.

Rooiklip 18km down a VERY rough road (4x4 recommended) we eventually found the owner. Camp sites no power R160.00 We didn't stay.

Spitzkop
    R60.00 Hugely improved since our visit 4 years ago. Camp sites demarcated each with a long drop. Solar heated showers at the entrance were much appreciated. Stunning area, but not a lot to do there. We took a drive into the protected area with a guide. The idea was to keep it for game, but unfortunately the leopard has put paid to that idea. So no game but a nice drive. Did see a klipspringer one evening.

Sophia Dale (Swakop) R120.00 Power at some of the camp sites, hot clean showers but it's become a scruffy, dusty camp site.

Ganab R75.0A long drop and nothing much else except incredible views of incredible desert. Lots of game.

Solitaire Really good value R100.00, spotless campsite, power in camp and hot showers.

Betta (Even better value) R70.00 Clean sheltered site with stunning viewing platform, power, hot showers .

Betesda R70.0 Disappointing. The lodge looked stunning but the camp felt v run down.

Hope this helps fellow travellers

Default Namuskluft

Hi Jayturn
    Thanks for some useful feedback.
    Did you get a look at the chalets at Namuskluft camping?
    We really only need a roof and a bed - but do they have their own bathroom?
    Any suggestions for a day trip return to Namuskluft? We have quite serious 4x4 capability.

Great feedback
    Thanks

Very Useful!! - Did you by any chance drive past the Oasis camp site at Sossus?

Solitaire - Guest farm desert ranch or the Country Lodge - both have camping?
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/08/10 at 03:48 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for the useful info.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Thanks a million. Very helpful

Yes it does help very much

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

Hi Jayturn, which lodge at the border are you referring to in your second paragraph?

I also enjoyed Aquacade when we stayed there a few years ago.

We always stay over in Noordoewer at Amanzi River lodge. Absolutely love it, awesome view on rock formations across the river and very large sites. The facilities includes a nice bar, a small shop with wood and very nice boerewors.
    LOTS of birdlife, fish eagles calling... have to stop now otherwise I will be packing soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	361025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	165.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	361026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noordoewer 007.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	361027  
    Cobus

You can't use up creativity, the more you use, the more you have - Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Muishond View Post
    We always stay over in Noordoewer at Amanzi River lodge. Absolutely love it, awesome view on rock formations across the river and very large sites. The facilities includes a nice bar, a small shop with wood and very nice boerewors.
    LOTS of birdlife, fish eagles calling... have to stop now otherwise I will be packing soon...
    Looks great

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

Hi Jayturn,
    Great thread and feedback, thanks. You have passed but missed one "unofficial" campsite between Bethanie and Helmeringhausen where you cross the Konkiep river about 15km from Helmeringhausen. It is less than a kilo from the main road and on the riverbanks where there is always fresh water flowing from springs in the riverbed. Nice trees and all I have there currently is toilets and showers with warm water.
    Due to the historical sites and immense history there is just so much to see and had cases where visitors change their day trip to a 3 day stay....lol.
    BUT here is the issue. I have NOT register this campsite yet as I am working abroad and don't have the time to develop it fully and I am NOT allowed to advertise. Yes I do have people on the farm working for my. ( Google "Mooifontein" and there you find all interesting info about the Farm)
    Cheers

No didn't look at chalets, but would imagine they'd be ok if you just need a roof. As I said camping was fine, but the road leading to the camp was AWFUL!

Solitaire We camped at the Lodge camp site, adjacent to the garage etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Muishond View Post
    Join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by travelfreak View Post
    Hi Jayturn,
    Great thread and feedback, thanks. You have passed but missed one "unofficial" campsite between Bethanie and Helmeringhausen where you cross the Konkiep river about 15km from Helmeringhausen. It is less than a kilo from the main road and on the riverbanks where there is always fresh water flowing from springs in the riverbed. Nice trees and all I have there currently is toilets and showers with warm water.
    Due to the historical sites and immense history there is just so much to see and had cases where visitors change their day trip to a 3 day stay....lol.
    BUT here is the issue. I have NOT register this campsite yet as I am working abroad and don't have the time to develop it fully and I am NOT allowed to advertise. Yes I do have people on the farm working for my. ( Google "Mooifontein" and there you find all interesting info about the Farm)
    Cheers
    Great, thanks for that info. Will diarise it for our next Nam trip. We're not looking for luxury, but must admit warm showers are so welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Very Useful!! - Did you by any chance drive past the Oasis camp site at Sossus?

Solitaire - Guest farm desert ranch or the Country Lodge - both have camping?
    Sossuss Drove past but didn't stay. Everyone who has been to Sossuss says close your eyes to the rip off and stay at the NWR camp..That way you get in to the dunes an hour earlier.

Here is a pic of one of the historical monuments on the farm. Look at the background some distance away and you will see a lot of trees, this is where our campsite is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jayturn View Post
    Sossuss Drove past but didn't stay. Everyone who has been to Sossuss says close your eyes to the rip off and stay at the NWR camp..That way you get in to the dunes an hour earlier.
    Thanks!

I regard Sossuss as a bit of a tourist trap!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Merwe Erasmus View Post
    Hi Jayturn, which lodge at the border are you referring to in your second paragraph?

I also enjoyed Aquacade when we stayed there a few years ago.
    Vioolsdrift Lodge. It's a new one & probably the lodge accommodation is fine, but at R120 pp to camp on a dusty slope, not thanks Especially not when you have the divine green grass and stunning views from Aquacade. Just wish they'd grade the road there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Thanks!

I regard Sossuss as a bit of a tourist trap!
    For sure, but still an amazing area. Sometimes one can get away from the masses. Three years ago there was water & we had the place to ourselves. Everyone else was in the dunes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast